Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wockner

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey just thought i would introduce my self, my names Nick and i am very new to keeping snakes. i just bought a stimsons python (windorah locale) three weeks ago, and i thought it would it would be best to join a forum just in case i needed any help. although i am new to snakes i have kept a bearded dragon for a few years now. But i have came to a bit of a problem already... i cant name him or her i was never really given a sex. so i guess these are my questions.

What's the best way to sex a young snake (4-5 months old)?

and for the love of god what are some good name ideas (boy or girl) and im not naming it monty...

Thank you guys

*Edit*
i will post some pictures tomorrow arvo hopefully
also im from brisbane

Last edited:
After a couple of weeks, if i still cant decide on a name i'll group the top 5+ names and then ill do a poll for you guys to decide.

Welcome, some of the names iv had for snakes i have owned : legs, oh no, set, anuksunomen (cant remember the correct spelling now), alchemy, mister cuddles and lillith. Current snakes are isis, willy woma, viking and in have two i have yet to name as well. Hope thats a bit of inspiration

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Probably best to take it to a vet to get the sex determined as it can be a tricky business :)

Agreed with Harlemrain - best to take it to a vet or a local reputable breeder close to you might be the best way to go in terms of sexing. Probing is usually the preferred method and should be done by someone experienced especially with a hatchling.

In terms of names, I wait to get my snake and tend to name him/her after personality, markings, etc.

My Jungle: Arrow (Arrow head)
BHP: Salacia (Roman goddess)
Woma: Treasure (Has an x on the side)

My brothers Bredli: Valkyrie (Just a name he liked)
My Dad's Spotted Python: Monty (Very original, he is an avid monty python fan, if you didnt guess already.)

I tend to either find something related to the snake's common name (diamond python named zirconia), or their colouration (I once had a rabbit named bacon because it looked smokey). Since Stimi's are already named after someone, there's not much to play with there unless you want to name it Sim.

It's a spotty snake, though, so you've got lots of room to play... Patch, Freckles, Giraffe, Tabby, Pinto, Argyle, Streak, Tiger, Brindle...

Alternatively, my sister names her pythons after tentacle monsters, you could name them after characters in a book, gods from your favourite mythology, different flavours of icecream... (admit it, deep down you want to name it hokeypokey). Ultimately, you want to go with something you like. Take your time.

Here are some photos :) they seem to of lost quality in the upload
DSC_0118.jpg
DSC_0116.jpg
DSC_0115.jpg

Last edited:
Coastal carpet - Amber
Childreni - Loki
Water python - Thor
Spotted pythons - slinky, Akeeva, Jasper
Geckos- Holland and Talho

And congrats on your new snake :)

Welcome, some of the names iv had for snakes i have owned : legs, oh no, set, anuksunomen (cant remember the correct spelling now), alchemy, mister cuddles and lillith. Current snakes are isis, willy woma, viking and in have two i have yet to name as well. Hope thats a bit of inspiration

Sorry to detract from the topic at hand, but I wet myself laughing when I read Willy Woma :D
Not really sure why..

Edit: Now that I'm here I might as well make my self useful, When I find out if my snake is a boy or a girl I'll be going with Pictii or Thuro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to detract from the topic at hand, but I wet myself laughing when I read Willy Woma :D
Not really sure why..

Edit: Now that I'm here I might as well make my self useful, When I find out if my snake is a boy or a girl I'll be going with Pictii or Thuro.

It amuses me also. My mum suggested wynona woma which i thought was equally hilarious but hes a boy lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back