Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclyndaniel

Reaction score
Hey,
I live in SA I dont have any type of reptile licence.

I have enclosures and lots of equiptment to put them together but have not got any critters to go in them yet.

What is the best snake for me to get in your opinion? Im looking for a snake which is small, low maintenance, can be kept in south australia (if licence needed where do i get it?) and can be handled. Also looking at getting a marbled gecko and desert scorpion. Do all these need UV or just heat?

I have all the enclosures I need just need that little bit more of info.

Cheers,
JaclynDaniel

I'm pretty sure you need a licence for any snake in SA. You can apply online. As for what snake:
If you want small: Antaresia snakes (Childrens, Spotted and Stimsons Pythons) all grow around 1m-1.2m. Womas are a bit bigger at about 1.5m, but the local womas in SA can be quite large at about 2m+
Antaresia snakes dont really need UV, not sure about Womas though.
Hope this helps :D

I'm pretty sure you need a licence for any snake in SA. You can apply online. As for what snake:
If you want small: Antaresia snakes (Childrens, Spotted and Stimsons Pythons) all grow around 1m-1.2m. Womas are a bit bigger at about 1.5m, but the local womas in SA can be quite large at about 2m+
Antaresia snakes dont really need UV, not sure about Womas though.
Hope this helps :D

In SA you can keep ONE basic reptile without a licence but after that you will need one
To get a licence just print, fill out and post off the basic application sheet from this site Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Fauna Permits
Like snakeluvver said any of the antaresia species or a woma would be perfect for a first snake.

I've sent you a PM with phone numbers, etc to DEH sa, plus one for antaresia here too :)

Are Jungle pythons legal?
Do I need a licence?
Are they tame?

Also what is the best sex to get concerning temperment?

Do I need a licence?
Are they tame?

Yes they are legal and you don't need a licence if you only get one. Tempermant is different for every individual although jungles are typically snappy, saying that i have 2 jungles and i have been tagged only once or twice when i first got them.

Jungles can be snappy but of course they're all different. You can find an evil chainsaw Jungle that bites anything that moves, or you can find one that wouldnt hurt a fly. Just keep in mind that Jungles are larger than Antaresia and Womas, they can be from 1.5m-2.5m.

Thanks so much for all this information.

Does anyone know about green tree pythons either?

A while ago someone asked if GTP's are good for beginners. Lots of people said yes, I said no. I got in a debate about it, and I ended up getting an infraction. So lets not start this. (IMO if you haven't researched GTP's they could prove to difficult for you) It would be best to go with an Antaresia snake or a Woma.

Do I need a licence?
Are they tame?

If you read what Smigga has posted, if you keep more than ONE protected species (reptile, lizard or amphibian) you will need a license. this does not mean 1 x snake, 1 x gecko etc without getting a license.
No python can be called 'tame' but you will find some are more placid than others, this is an individual thing, not just species specific,
Gender is also not a temperment thing,

do some research into individual species and find out what their expected adult size is , and what the requirements are for each species, make sure you can afford to house and feed a full grown python before you go ahead with any purchase.

If you are currently clueless about individual requirements for a carpet python,(and your original post suggests you are) then leave the gtp until you have a bit more experience

So the GTP would a require a licence hey?
One day ill get one I reckon they are beautiful creatures but I dont wanna dig a hole for myself.
What specific snake would you prefer if you were in my position.

So the GTP would a require a licence hey?
One day ill get one I reckon they are beautiful creatures but I dont wanna dig a hole for myself.
What specific snake would you prefer if you were in my position.
Yes GTP's do need licenses. I think womas do as well I'm not too sure?
I'd definately get a Woma. I have a spotted python, and hes nice, but I kinda wish I got a woma instead.
Oh and, in case you didnt know, GTP's cost over $1000 each, sometimes up to $6000

you wouldnt wont a GTP, cost over $1000 way to much required and not the best starter snake, ill suggest,
stimson python, childrens python or stpotted there all around 1 meter long max size.

cheers Reef

you wouldnt wont a GTP, cost over $1000 way to much required and not the best starter snake, ill suggest,
stimson python, childrens python or stpotted there all around 1 meter long max size.

cheers Reef
Oh then why did you get a scrubbie ;)

Any snake is a good beginer snake go with the one you like the look of some have easier care some have harder. If your willing to put in the work (and the $$$ in the case of a GTP) it's all good

Here's the formula to successful snake keeping whatever the species:

Research + Research + Research + work + care + time + learning = a good captive husbandry and a successful snake keeper

No such thing as a "beginer" snake, a beginer snake is the first one in your collection or the only one whateva species that may be as that's were the learning begins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back