Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Build the herp room, then set up for gtps and albino darwins and olives. Well theres 70k gone.

i would totally invest in CONSERVATION of a threatened species,
seems people only care about the snakes that are pretty or expensive or just plain gay
as amatuer herpetologists we have a duty towards threatened species above all else
am i making sense?

Yea but wheres the profit in that??? Thats Mrs I question!!!

But seriously i agree with you :)

For me def a pair of albino olives, a pair of gtp, a pair of wheatbelt stimmys - cos theyre just gorgeous and always on high demand - Probably some Asper or Amyae or red beardys too.

But what if you wouldn't have to worry about the initial investment, like someone was giving you the money but the only stipulation was to invest it into reptiles. And you wouldnt ever need to pay back the initial money.

Mrs I

xxx

Regardless, I would feel obligated in paying the person back. I've always been bought up to respect the value of money. My mother is very wealthy and has offered me money many times. I have always turned her down because I am in a position where I can take care of myself and think she worked hard enough for her money to enjoy it herself. My sisters however often take money and jewellery (sp) from her. I'm not pushing my beliefs on to you, you are your own person and I don't know your circumstances. You are indeed a lucky person to have such a nice uncle :)

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Do do a lot of research before you buy. Don't let the lure of easy money make your careless...

I agree spiolta but it would be a business investment with contract ... so in a way its all legit..

Mrs I

xxxx

Lets see, first would have to be Var keithornei-(canopy monitor) and then Var prasinus-(emerald monitor) and if I had any cash left a couple of Rough Scale pythons would do me.

Good luck Mrs I and when you get your reptile business up and running, do me a good deal ;) I was quite amazed after reading the latest edititon of Reptiles Australia about the number of GTP's that had died under the care of one of - if not the most experienced - herpers in Australia, it was quite an eye opener.

well there could certainly be something you could do towards conservation with that sort of money surely,
maybe breed a species thats not doing to well and sell them and get lots of people breeding them so there numbers increase with others help it could get the ball rollin

I would spend some of the cash on the best animal house i could build, climate control, wall to wall cages ect.
The ultimate herp room

I keep getting mental images Mrs I...not all of them are good (shudders)

I like your idea Paleoherp :D but the ultimate herp house!!

assuming 130 per snake i woudl buy 538 childrens pythons and have enough left for a couple of cartons of beer to celebrate my purchase.......yes thats what id do.

Quite frankly I would wait for 2-3 years before I'd setup any reptile breeding business. I think the current market is in a time of turmoil and it will take a couple of years for pricing projections to be determined. I think the reptiles that will maintain their price are those that require an effort to breed such as GTPs and Albino Olives. The question that arises from that is whether you have the skill to breed them.

Having said that I think the smart approach would be to buy top end animals that are easy to breed (e.g. Albino Darwins/RSPs), that way your ongoing time/financial overheads are low initially until you get established.

Which snakes would you choose to help preserve snake pimp?
Brigalow belt Woma's are endangered through quite a large proportion of there (south-eastern) queenland woodlands habitat so you could start there!!

EDIT: It's south-eastern not western range (shucks, my memory sucks sometimes.

How cool does this woma look. I haven't seen one with a stripe like this down it's back before.

Attachments

• brigalow.jpg
    brigalow.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back