Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudolf1980

Reaction score
Hi there,
I currently own 3 Eastern Water Dragon which I love. My husband has owned a Brisbane Coastal Python but as we rescued of a family mamber that didnt look after it, it was very snappy and bit all the time. We tried for 2 yrs to calm it down but it just grew larger and more dangerous. Our concern was that our 4 kids love reptile and we were worried with it. So sadley we had to give her to a mate that could deal with it. So we now have a large empty tank waiting for a new family member. Our 12 yr old son has now decided he wants his 1st pet and after some mixed info about snakes, we have narrowed it down to the childrens python species. They are small and suited for first pets. But Im tossed up between a pygmy stimsons python and a spotted python.

Anyone have any opinions one these species or even any other suggestions.
Id love a blond mac but have heard they are snappy.

Any one have any hatchling available?
Thanks

Hey there, my first snake was a blonde mac spotted python.. Ive had him for 2 years now and I love him, he was snappy when he was a hatchy like every other snake and I guess he sometimes is still a bit snappy now but hes still young, overall he is fine and I handle him regularly and havent been bit since he was a hatchy. hope this helps

they are all fantastic. A stimmie would be perfect.
It is important to treat all snakes with respect before putting your hands near them or in their space. Coming around from behind them usually helps also.
Either way childrens or stimmie both are a perfect choice just comes down to which one you feel looks the best to you

I wouldn't consider any breed/species more snappy than the other it's an individual snake that is that way, remember all hatchies have an inbuilt defensive system from the egg as a survival technique so don't be put off by anyone saying such and such species is worse, for example I have heard more say they are fine than not. I guess it also depends where they come from, certain places put so much dedication into trying to produce top quality rep's and it shows in what they sell on.

see what your son thinks of the blonde if you both like them then go for it

Lol why not A Scrubby lol. :D:D jokes aside, I got A coastal and bredli for my firrst snakes and they are both great. All snakes do the same thing so just pick one that you like the best. IMO

I know of a breeder in Tamworth who has a beautiful selection but being in Melb you would have export papers and transport costs. His Stimi's average $100 PM me if you want the details.

get a woma ! they are pretty ace mines never bitten very hardy easy to look after good feeding response and just look better then you're average ants unless you get a nice stimmy or mini olives :)

All snakes do the same thing so just pick one that you like the best. IMO
all snakes do the same thing ay then you show me a head bobbing ,tail wiggling olive python then :D by the way to the op you should seriously consider a woma great first snake imo

I meant as in biting and temperament mate, Not specific species behavior .

see my smiley face in my other post i wasn't having a go at you or anything

sorry mate I missed that. No offence I hope:)

something I would mention....a glass tank is probably not the best choice of enclosure for your snake...you are in melbourne and what you save in buying/building a proper cabinet enclosue you will spend in power bills keeping the tank to temperature....just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back