If an animal dies after purchase?? Your thoughts Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As most here know I have been breeding reptiles for over the last 20 years. When I first started breeding I would garentee my reptiles for the first month after the sale. However , I was burnt so many times by people telling me their purchase had died, having me replace it, and to hear later none had ever died. My garentee was then reduced to one week.

Over the last 10 years, I have had at least 100 reptiles die within 12 hours of purchase, and the buyer demanding action. But on questioning most of them the reptiles were killed by the buyers own ignorance. Heres some examples. Sat on in car, lost in car, little Johny gave it a tight cuddle, left in car while eating lunch, left in car while shopping, placed in tank with no heat, placed in cage with too much heat, left in cage in direct sunlight, and so on and so on.

So for the last 5 years I try to show every buyer that the reptile they are purchasing from my house is eating. Sick reptiles normally do not eat . That is the end of my garentee. Once that reptile leaves my house I no longer have any control over that animal. The only exception is that if the reptile dies within 2 weeks, and it is shown to have a birth fault recognised by a vet, I will replace or refund.

With interstate transactions, I ask the buyer to ring me the day of delivery to ensure the reptiles are in healthy condition apon arrival and that the animals are exactly what they ordered. This is the end of garentee again. Failure to ring on the day of receipt also voids any garentee. Again, with interstate orders, I believe the seller should not be held responsible if a reptile has been stressed in any way in transport. It is the buyers choice to purchase from interstate and they have asked the seller to transport to them. For this reason they should wear the risk.

It is easy to say give garentees for 2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks or even a month. But when you have bred as long as I have, and as many animals as I have , you quickly realise that 98% of deaths are the buyers fault, and only a small % are unexplained. There is no way to tell which is which, so unless there is a vet report saying I was at fault then I will only garentee that the reptile at the time of sale is healthy in my opinion and eating in front of the buyer every chance I get .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back