Is it an intergrade? Or not...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok bellinda,
firstly these pics indicate that this snake has abslutley no speckles which is a trait that diamonds have (even intergrades). Also snakes do change colour as they mature but they do not just come up with speckles. Now this is a beautifull looking little guy but i am almost 100% positive that it doesnt have any diamond in him. I actually have a diamond/coastal carpet intergrade myself and if we were to compare you would know what i mean (i will soon have some more pics in my gallery :p)

Cheers,
Jeremy

Must disagree,
It well could be a X, Very few baby diamonds have distinct speckles when they are born.
My port macs didn't have any speckles when young and colored up with them.
BB what did the breeder say? It's hard to tell when a snake is young.

Jeremy, Is your carpet/diamond a natural intergade or a captive hybrid? If it's a natural intergrade what region is it from and what sex is it?
Also do you mind if i ask who you got it off.
PM me if you like.

Well to me it looks nothing like a diamond at all. I am not sure how old it is and how old diamonds start to show true colours though. But I hope you never breed it and that you didnt pay too much. Oh yea Hope you get it feeding soon. If u have any problems just ask :D

You'll be able to tell for sure within a couple months

Diamond X Coastals are naturally occurring intergrades, they are not mongrels. On NSW licence they are actually listed as a sub-species of their own. No two intergrades look the same. In Belinda's snake it would seem the most dominant characteristics are from the coastal python but most likely its appearance will change as it matures.When it is an adult there is no reason why you can't breed it with a diamond or another coastal (I checked into it) as long as all offspring are correctly identified as inter-grades.
There are some dodgy breeders around who would of sold Belinda's snake as a coastal because thats what it looks like.There are endless variations of coastals around now and this is the reason why.
Enjoy your snake Belinda, he's a cute little bugger.

Belinda, by what you told us last night in chat, you saw the parents? One was a diamond python, the other being a coastal carpet python?
Offspring from this pair are called hybrids, not intergrades, and by looking at the pictures in your gallery, I fail to see any diamond in your new snake at all. :)

is it an intergrade.

hi belle

they are really hard to pick at this stage of there life and can change a fair bit visually. it dosent have to look like a diamond to be carrying diamond blood.

Yes the term is intergrade. thats is what they are recegnised as and as others have said are naturally occuring. they are not hibrids. you can breed from these animals as long as you advise others that the offspring are intergrades. we have seen a few itergrades now that have had a vast veriety in pattern and colour as adults. some of these have been absolutly briliant visual animals.

If your baby is from intergrade parents, your baby has been given domannt carpet genes. as with most clutches of intergrades there are percentages of visual carpet, visual diamonds, and visual intergrades.
unless the intergrade line has been long running you dont get all visual intergrade babys..
let him/her grow a little and see how much it changes.

cheers paul.

Nice snake Belinda. I hope that you will have lot of joy and don't worry about what it is so much. Just take good care of your pet and give it lot of love. All snakes are beautifull to me.

Ok...I payed $200 for the little guy, and the breeder is very trustworthy. He did tell me Hunter was an intergrade as well...But dont worry, i have no plans on breeding from him. I just want to learn how to look after snakes properly and then Ill probably get a pair of Centralians....

Diamond X Coastals are naturally occurring intergrades, they are not mongrels.

I couldnt agree with you more Greebo!

P.S Whats a Atherton?

An atherton is a type of Carpet originally found in the Atherton area. Just like Bredlis are from Central Australia, Proserpines are from the Proserpine area.....you get the picture.
Athertons are very nice looking snakes too.

Snarf has got it right.
If one parent is a diamond and the other a carpet then it is a hybrid NOT an intergrade.
Intergrades are a species of carpet python just lke jungles, murray darlings coastal etc.
Where they occur in the wild intergrades breed with intergrades and have done so for hundreds of years.
You can't make an intergrade buy cross breeding a diamond and a carpet.

I think they need to be renamed to avoid confussion.
Dispite what many people think they are not many ture intergrades in captivity most are past off as intergrades when they are infact hybrids.
They aren't always easy to tell apart but can be, blood tests would be the easiest way.

I am afraid you are wrong No-One.
Have you got a copy of your licence handy? If not ,go get one now.
You will find under Class 1 (NSW)
Code T2025 Morelia s. mcdoweli/spilota (natural intergrade)
Now...A Morelia McDoweli is a Coastal Carpet Python
and... A Morelia Spilota is a Diamond Python
This natural intergrade occurs where the distribution of both species over lap and natural cross breeding occurs.
You can call them hybrids if the description fits...but that is what they are.

the way i understand it from what everyone's said is that if you were to breed from 2 coastal x diamonds that were originally caught from the wild it would be an intergrade but if you breed a pure coastal with a pure diamond it would be a hybrid cos it didn't really naturally occur if man has arranged it
but of course i've got no real clue - i just had a brain wave that made sense so i wrote it down :D

Beautiful snake,cant we for once leave the bullshit aside & be polite it will not hurt your immaculate herp records that all you seem to be hoping for.I think we are forgetting one fact belle_belinda has her 1st snake & i hope that we are all proud in the fact that we made this momentous accasion seem like a crime for her.I hope you all take a good look at yourselfs & how would you like your 1st snake turned into a contraversial debate on ****.I want to say only this its a pretty snake & nothing you ignorant pricks say i wont change my mind regardles of weather it was right or wrong belle is new & seaked our opinion this wasnt given more a debate about whos right or whos wrong.Who cares wasnt it about a member getting her 1st snake & how did you feel when you got your 1st snake,wake up life is meant to be fun not an arguement.

written by popp & any flack direct to popp,for f@## sake look at ya selves!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my intergrade off a person called brydie burton. She works for wires and this snake was used to take to all the little kiddies at schools etc. I am not quite sure of the region but i will have some photo's posted shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back