Is it an intergrade? Or not...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ok STP I've already been through this debate before when I announced that I was saving up for my little guy. Im used to it now, but I agree with Greebo.

I reakon its pretty stupid to have a huge discussion what type of snake she owns when its her first snake that she doesnt want to breed who cares its a beautiful snake sand thats all that counts the same thing happened to me when i got my first snake bb and i was p!$$ed off cause of a argument what type of snake i owned!!

Nah....I'm used to all these heated debates about Hybrids or whatever the hell they're called, I'm just suprised I didn't actually start the argument! :) 1 Gold star for me! :D

I deleted few posts as i am sure that majority of members is not interested about personal arguments.
Please don't bring personal problems here.

Natural intergrades are a speices of carpet python.
Where they are found, diamond and coastals don't occur.
Their range is a natural buffer zone between carpets from the north and diamonds from the south.
Intergrades breed with intergrades in the wild.
The fact npws says mcdowelli/spilota is because the snake thats exactly what it is, the species is morelia spilota mcdowelli spilota.
Intergrades are not hybrids. I can't stress the fact enough that there is a difference between hybrids and intergrades.
Have a look at the pic folder titled DIAMONDICE. That is a port mac intergrade and the guy holding it's head lives in port macquarie and breeds port macs, I'll get in touch with him and see if he'll write something up for us.

Hi Belinda,
What a gorgeous snake you have there. I remember when I got my first snake I was over the moon :)
Congratulations! I wish you many great years of snake-keeping. Looking forward to hearing more about the little guy!

I have been trying to find info on inter-grades.
My gott! There is conflicting advice to be found.
No_one, you present a good argument, although it is almost exactly what I said just worded from a different viewpoint.
The area that intergrades occur naturally is the Barrington Tops/Port Macquarie area. Diamonds and Coastals do not occur in this area because this is where the species over-lap and have produced a new species (inter-grades).
The best I have been able to come up with is this:
When species cross breed they produces hybrids.
When hybrids of the same ilk breed, they will eventually form a new species which will be intergrades.
I dunno if this right or not...it is all so confusing.
I am always willing to listen to other ppl's opinions when they are well thought out (eg No-ONes post).

If you look at this issue in mature way, you will find that every one of you experts is right in some way. I would recommend you to keep your mind open to other people's view and read articles from different sources. I am keeping in mind that some of the issues will be always argued and who I am to be mister right. God? I can have opinion, but I don't like to push it on other people. I thing same like NoOnes
''''Intergrades breed with intergrades in the wild.
The fact npws says mcdowelli/spilota is because the snake thats exactly what it is, the species is morelia spilota mcdowelli spilota.''''
But if somebody has a different opinion, He is entitled to have it, the same as I have mine, and he is welcome to let us know his view in civilize manner.
People who push they arguments too strongly usually sounds like smart alecs and I personally don't admire most of know-everything people. Modesty will impress me every time.
I hope that you guys can read Slatemans english

Loud and Clear SJ, Couldn't agree with you more :)

Greebo, spot on.
Thats how some new species are formed, intergrades are just one of the newer species to have come along.
Who knows they may go back a thousand years or more or even less. Not enough research has been done and it wasn't till recently that most poeple recognised them as a species.
I must have miss read your post, who cares theres nothing like a good debate :)

Without wishing to stir this pot too much, I think some people have a misunderstanding about reptile distributions. How can you tell me that there is coastals, then intergrades then diamonds and they do not interbreed put have discontinous ranges that abutt each other? Why, when there is an intergrade or diamond female 1km away, would a coastal male go for the coastal female who is 5km away? How far does a male snake range in search of a female? I don't know but you have to add to this number the amount he or she may travel through the year in search for food. I don't know all the answers but nor do I claim to as some people seem to be doing. If people are going to make these claims, that coastal and intergrade's do not overlap territory nor do diamonds and intergrades, can you please tell me where you are getting this information from?
Any one who goes to North Coast Herp Group would know that they are doing some research into snake distributions. My understanding is they they are finding some very surprising results. hopefully, when this research is finished we will have a better understanding of pythons ranges.:)

Mags my info comes from people around port macquaire (and the time i've spent there) and all have said that diamonds and coastal aren't there it's just intergrades.
Obviously there would be an overlap somewhere at each end. But like i said more research has to be done before it can be fully understood.
Diamonds aren't found on the north coast and coastals aren't found in sydney, they have to stop somewhere, they may well stop either side of the intergrades distribution and never come into contact.
I don't claim to know everything about them but i've had fair bit to do with them over the last few years and what i've stated is my understanding of them, the main point i was trying to make is that they are not hybrids.

This is confusing...Can someone please explain what the following are:
Hybrids:
Intergrades:
Natural-Intergrades:

From this day forward i vow never to enter into a debate about hybrids or intergrades. Everything i've stated was in my best knowledge and findings and i can no longer bring myself to repeat it :roll:
BB, You will never get a straight answer theres to many conficting opions my suggestion is to go and find out yourself. However i do feel theres has been enough info presented to get a rough idea, i think i even PM you some info a while back, you should have some idea.

Me to, no point to argue about this. enough mentioned all ready.

If anyone is really interested in naturally occuring integrades, contact greg hollis from port macquarie/coffs, will look up his email if anyone wants it.
cheers
meg
btw not to enter into the debate but the best snake i ever had was a diamond x brisbane carpet hybrid (hybrid as they are not found in the same regions), which I ended up giving to a little boy with cancer, most placid animal I ever had. So just enjoy your new addition belinda for what it is, a python..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back