Is it an intergrade? Or not...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Meg i got mine off Greg a few years back, he knows his stuff.

diamond or carpet.

hi everyone..
first of all lets remember that belle started the thread out of her own interest as to what her snake is. she should be infact comended for this. owning a reptile shouldnt be just about having the animal in a cage. as with belle there should be an interest about species, habitat etc.

coastals and diamonds arnt differant species but infact just sub species. crossing sudspecies isnt hybritising its intergrading. Of course this if kept true would have to be done with the right area form under captive conditions.
Intergrades as they have been labeled are a natural crossing of morelia spilota mcdowelli and m.s spliota spilota this has occured in what is beleived the most southern range of coastal carpets and the most northern range of diamond pythons.
For anyone that has the barker book on page 135 it talks about the distrabution of diamonds and coastal carpets and the intergrading of these two species. also uses worell 1963, wilson 1988, gow 1989 as referances for this data as well as others. it also talks about diamonds/intergrades from barrington tops.
we have a freind with animals from barrington tops area that to me looked like diamonds. he considers them to be so and has been breeding these animals together. they are a very dark colouration with alot of black markings, his focas is on retaining the darkest of the offspring with the hope of breeding a black python at some stage in the future. Somthing differant i guess.
have to suport magpie all the way..the presure for food ,habitat with strong species numbers have changed there distrabution location over time and will continue to do so with many species. distrabution maps that were done 10 years ago may infact be out of date with some species. especally with irban sprawl forcing animals out of what was considered there home range. there are many instances of animals being found in locations that was thought they didnt inhabit many years earlyer. and yes this could be happening for many reasons including from interferance from us as people. but the point is they are living and breeding in these new areas and that makes the previous distrabution maps void.
we have also heard about the north coast groups study on reptile distrabution. we also hope they get to finish and publish the data they are collecting as this will indeed re write some of the earlyer beleifs

From what i have heard and seen of greg hollises intergardes you will only get very true and pure blood from his lines. he has a real interest in this form and has been working with it for some time.

just some thoughts..
cheers paul.

your snake is beautiful, bb.
i'm sure you love it no matter what it is, and what it might be.
just love it and care for it.
all that should matter is it's health and happiness.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back