is it cruel to keep a snake in captivity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sdaji said:
I prefer croissants, at least I think I do. Uf'tards don't sound very nice. Does anyone know of a bakery which makes them?

Sdaji - we all know that croissants have far too high fat contect, feeding them to my snakes would certainly just be cruelty at its worst.... how could you even consider such a thing...

汐止公司: 台北縣汐止市福德路巷號樓絃豐實業股份有限公司

台北市114內湖區康寧路 and also 市福德路巷

This question is very valid and like others I have asked myself this on occassion. Many here have given their opinions and although not asked I shall give mine ......

The only person here worthy of answering this question is YOU. So I ask you Super taipan what is your opinion .....IS it cruel to keep a snake in captivity?

Whatever the outcome of your answer is ...............there is many a wonderful person here that can help aid you with questions or assistance regarding all concievable Queries you may have based on their experience............ but only one that needs to find comfort with your decision.

Did anyone notice how quiet this thread went after "Supertaipan" went to bed sometime after 9:43 last night?
Perhaps now would be a good time for the moderators to lock it and then someone could do a spread sheet or the like detailing the fors and againsts including all the things like emotion, hapiness, fear, walkies etc and then publish the results.
Just a thought.

Best regards
Paul

I did not go to bed at 9.45, i was just bored with the thread, maybe you are right i should not have asked the question! Dont hate me for having an opinion though. Ithink that you are right, snakes are happy being kept as long as they are well looked after. end of story from my point of view.

a famous aussie zoo owner once said,if captive animals are willing to breed and bring up their young in captivity then they are comfortable in their surroundings and situation

I agree, i was just looking at my set up, empty enclosure and just had that thought was it fair? anyway im off to look at some central aussie pythons today, I actually held the father today and it was amazing beautiful snake.

Supertaipan
Please keep in mind when comparing snakes to many other animals in cages, the fact that snakes are generally cryptozoic. I am not buying into the cruelty argument either way, but this is something that definitely makes them more suitable in captivity than other animals. I have had heaps of first hand experience on caging wild snakes in large numbers and have many examples of pythons feeding and doing better in small tubs as opposed to large wooden bank type caging that offer far more space to roam.

newtosnakes said:
Sdaji said:
I prefer croissants, at least I think I do. Uf'tards don't sound very nice. Does anyone know of a bakery which makes them?

Sdaji - we all know that croissants have far too high fat contect, feeding them to my snakes would certainly just be cruelty at its worst.... how could you even consider such a thing...

Sorry for my poor choice of words. I meant that I personally prefer to ingest croissants. I'd like to find a source of Uf'tards to feed my snakes though, although I'd have to research their constituents first. Having said that, what percentage fat is a typical croissant? I'd have thought that at least some would be lower in fat than rats (well, sure, not the traditional 'half butter' ones).

Supertaipan said:
Ithink that you are right, snakes are happy being kept as long as they are well looked after. end of story from my point of view.
First off, I think you'll find that most people here will not hate you for having an opinion, however I am still completely gobsmacked after reading this post of yours... :shock:

Go buy yourself a snake and have fun with it, both you and the snake will be better for it.

Cheers. :)

Wow, I have to be honest I only read half the posts.

If you consider keeping reptiles is cruel then you are probably not doing it right. We are all pretty intelligent and can tell if what we are doing is morally ok or not.

Super.. I would consider not letting you snake always having the run of the house (there are plenty of household objects unsafe for a reptile to be in contact with. Even just the type cleaner you may use to wipe your floor. For example.)

Yeah Pete i was going to say the same thing but in realising that he had made this comment in response to pilbarapythons advice about the advantages of keeping reptiles in smaller enclosures i thought bloody hell this kid is thick as a brick so why bother.

Well I sure am glad we changed this guys mind.
I look forward to hundreds of questions in the future from this new keeper.

JandC_Reptiles said:
Well I sure am glad we changed this guys mind.
I look forward to hundreds of questions in the future from this new keeper.

Yeah me too, there are bound to be some rippers, questions like ''why can't i find my snake?'' or '' why has my snake caught pneumonia?'' or ''why wont my snake slough correctly?'' or ''why is my snake scared to buggery?'' or ''why did my snake lash out and bite my little sister on the ear when she was running around the lounge room?'' or ''why is my snake choking on the Kentucky fried chicken i fed it?''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back