is it cruel to keep a snake in captivity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi wombat,
i'm interested, i only have about 50 that i'm being cruel to, so some more would be good, but i really think as i'm helping ease your mind they should be free, pmsl........

pmsl.......

you can't do that, it's illegal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodbye, goodnight & farewell

This thread just can't still be alive. Can it?

Consider this, "What if Noah asked the same question (is it cruel to keep a < insert name of animal here >) in captivity?) Before he boxed up all the creatures, great and small, of the earth for their Red Sea cruise (watch all the comments now regarding the actual itinerary of the cruise). OK end of funny comments.

Seriously, you have to admire Supertaipan’s endurance for hanging in there for the long haul in what became a bit of a super post. Yes, one doesn’t have to be Einstein to know that he/she is an expert stousher, and probably enjoyed the arguments as well as the debate itself, however for all that he/she didn’t walk away.

There was an upside to all this debate or argument what ever you want to call it though. For many of us, and in particular, newcomers, a vast outpouring of useful information became available on the subject in a very short period of time. Furthermore the many sides of the debate were there for anyone to see and form their own opinions. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site, this thread, albeit a bit inflammatory, got those people talking and posting their views, their experiences and their personal feelings on the subject. I think very few of us haven’t considered this question at one time or another either.

I think that what followed was worth more than a dozen books on the subject could have delivered. The comments, observations and experiences of dozens of seasoned herpers came to light in an instant, all of it in layman’s terms. The price? You just had to put up with a bit of sarcasm and wanker or two. It wasn’t hard to pick the standouts.

I will go on record as saying I learnt a lot about the subject of “Wild vs. Captive” issue and then some. I’ll also go on record as being a “What’s in it for the snake?” person. Recently I made a conscious and well thought out decision to return to reptile (snake) keeping after a lengthy sabbatical. My overriding concern in that time was “How can I make my rep/s as happy as reps can be expected to be. Although I had made up my mind to return to herpetology and had my own views on this matter, this thread certainly went a long way towards convincing me that there is little to feel guilty about being a recreational reptile keeper.

Anyway that’s it from me on the subject hopefully a lot of members got something from all this as it sure took up a fair bit of forum time. It was left of field, but hey, what can you say, it hit the spot.

Best regards
Paul

I have seen some very cruel keeper...so yeah it can be cruel.......

Supertaipan said:
You are avoiding the issue-how would you like to be caged for life??????????????

My God I can't believe this post is still going! :lol: God, you people would argue over .....umm....anything! :lol:

If you were to use this example as a rough comparison, and head off into the deepest darkest depths of the amazon and grab out a tribesperson and stick him into what we refer to as "civilization" it would be none-the-less considered, cruel! No? Yet we naturally see how we live, and where we live, as just part & parcel of our daily lives. An interesting spin sure...but it makes you think :wink: 8)

if you think it's cruel let yours go see what happens...that would be cruel!

But....the majority of captive snakes are not wild caught :shock: Yes, there are some snakes taken from the wild who spend the rest of their days in captivity, but they're in the minority.

Supertaipan said:
ok is it fair to take a snake that has lived all its life in the wild and keep it in captivity?

Perhaps not fair, but i wouldn't say it's cruel. What do you do if a species of snake is on the decline?

Take the Rough Scaled pythons... It has been mentioned in articles that because they are in such a restricted area that they could possibly be wiped out in the future and may already be on the decline. Should we just sit back and let that happen, or was it better that some were collected for breeding in captivity so the species can be saved...even though some may consider it to be cruel?

from what i hear most wild reptiles are a lot more cranky than the captive ones. Captive bred ones tend to live longer. Snakes also dont have the intelligence to get bored with their surroundings.

Did you know that if you whack your head repeatedly against a brick wall as hard as you can and then stop, the relief is so intense that (for a while at least) you forget all about the fact that you're bleeding profusley and in a hell of a lot of pain.

Bloody hell Kersten thanks a lot for that advice, that was the stupidest thing i've ever done, now who is going to clean all this blood up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back