Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont worry be happy now...narnarnnarnnarnanr...naranr...as far as Danial goes (mate stop burning bridges coz its not a big country)

Dave,
You never said the jungles were held there, thats why i asked. I asked questions because i didn't know, it would be easy to say no the jungles aren't held here.
The other question i asked which has been asked by a few others over the last few months is how much are you guys allowed to take and do you have a time frame in which to do it?
That is a genunie question that i don't know the answer to so i'm asking you unless you have some problem answering it.
I haven't assumed anything other than that you had the reptiles yoou said you had, the other thing i assumed was that you live in WA which is pretty obvious.
I'm not taking sides on this despite the fact that i don't support the collecting of reptiles, i don't know enough about whats going on over there to take " my side"

Steve.

The other question i asked which has been asked by a few others over the last few months is how much are you guys allowed to take and do you have a time frame in which to do it?

I don't believe there are any limits on numbers duda, just a list of species of what they can and can't take.

It seems some people may have strained their groins jumping to conclusions. :D
I wonder if they are feeling a bit sheepish? :twisted:

Few people need to go the CALM site and read some regulations first.The gov in WA wants the buck on every animal collected there is no take what you want.Heaps get runover and more get destroyed by land clearing mining activities and agricultural practices if a few SW womas were in captivity years ago we might still have them. :roll:

If there are they are few and far between browns. The land there has been pretty rooted for them due to farming.

Well that sucks big time...why doesn't someone allow a search for a few to establish them in captivity?So we have no True Aussie greens and SW womas in private collections or on the books,no oenpelis...or are there some in private collections?

As I understand it Browns, Oenpellis are only found on Aboriginal land, and they are very particular about who they let go there. They're even more particular about what you can remove.

:p

Hix

Yeah i know Hix,although Peter Krauss successfully bred them years ago after many years of trying.I wonder what happened to the offspring from that breeding....a shame that we couldn't at least have them in reptile parks and zoos :(

I believe the Territory Wildlife Park outside Darwin has them. At least, they were the ones who brought down an adult for Wild Australia Expo last year.

:p

Hix

Oenpellis arent just found on aboriginal land.....

However, it is either that or KNP.. Both of which are darn near impossible too get collection permits from.

I have the pleasure too work with Oenpellis, and they are an amazing snake. However, I do think that they should be reserved for zoological institutions, and nobody else.

They are the kinda snake the deserves too remain in the wild.

Peter Krauss bred his ilegally I believe.....

There are Oenpellis held over in Canada... Saw a photo of one on Bob Clarks site.

CHeers

I was just having a chat with Brad Maryan from the W.A mueseum a few days ago about the South Western woma. Brad has spoken to many locals over a fair period and he was telling me that some non snake people have described them down to a tee. It sounds rather promising to me and I think its only a matter of time before one turns up. I should talk Adrian into perhaps doing a mission down that way to see if we can and find some.

I agree with that, why are they special as far as being captives ? They are an unusual looking snake but I can't see what sets them apart from a collecting point of view.

Oenpelliensis Hix and Browns is a good example of a NT reptile that could of been collected in small numbers under the NT system of ranching.What good is it really competing with captive bred taking childreni and waters etc there? If there on aboriginal land negotiate if possible with the aboriginals a few have been found in surrounding areas (adjacent floodplains) The system in WA and NT would be better served collecting the less abundant animals than the very common animals.If 50 or so green tree pythons were collected in NTH QLD it would make absolutely squat difference to the animals status in the wild but be of benifit to many.And they WILL be collected legally or illegally.

WHat gives us the right too take every single snake out of the wild?
None, they are meant too be in the wild. If you are ever lucky enough too work with these snakes, you will see what I mean. There is just something about them. They dont deserve too be locked up in a cage... They are awesome snakes and should be left in their natural state. They are not currently under threat from anything, so what is the point in taking them out of the wild
?

I think that we should be content with the snakes we are currently allowed too keep.

Two things.. No Oenpellis have ever been found on the floodplains... and if you took 50gtps away from the population, the ecosystem would suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back