Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brodie a few individual oenpellis have been found on the floodplain though most as you would know live arnhem land escarpment i knew some would have a go at it but its fact.As for the 50 or so green tree pythons damaging the population ,get real, people have been telling me how rare they are for years,utter ignorance. :evil: :evil:

There is already a captive breeding program underway......

A fair bit is actually known about the feeding habits of Oenpellis. Sure, not as much as we would like.. But the information is there. You will find they eat birds/mammals/lizards as youngsters. I suppose they would eat the odd amphibian if they ever came across them, though...

One thing too remember, is that the toads are unable too access the majority of the Oenpellis habitat. If you have ever been looking for them, you would know what I am talking about.

The cane toad is irrelevant too Oenpellis IMO.

They are not under threat.. Stop being so greedy and leave them alone!

We have enough animals too keep

They have not been found in the floodplains.....

Talk too Ian Morris.. He will set you straight.

Also, 50 animals from any population is a huge amount.

Perhaps you should study ecology before you say **** like that ;)

Hehehe this thread is begining too reflect its title :p

Taking 50 animals from most populations is in fact an insignificant amount, unless the population is already small or the individual populations are geographically isolated from each other. Other factors also influence a species/populations ability to recover from losses of individual animals. These include but are not limited to
? population size
? frequency and number of young produced
? time between birth and sexual maturity of adults
? predation rates
? human influences
? habitat status
? seasonal availability of food and how it affects breeding capability of adults
? percentage of young that survive to breeding age
? whether the animal is a carnivore or a herbivore etc (where it sits in the food web)
However there are certainly exceptions and in some cases 50 animals would certainly throw a population out of orbit. However most species are still on earth today because they are survivors and have endured the various predation pressure set against them over long periods of time. Human interference with habitat and changing weather patterns presents a far greater threat to most species populations than the taking of individual animals. In our case we have witnessed far more womas and black-headed pythons killed by trucks (some still squirming when they are discovered) than we ever take for captive purposes. Trucks have been killing thousands of snakes here in the Pilbara for as long as Australia has had a Highway 1 and yet they are still found here in abundance. In the case of green pythons these are one of the most blessed snakes in Australia much of their huge rainforest habitat remains intact. There is very little threat of them being run over as much of their distribution has no roads. They live in a lush environment which has ample rainfall and therefore ensures a good year round food supply. I have been through much of their habitat on Cape ?York Peninsula and believe that several hundred could be harvested with little or no effect on green pythons in the wild. If this number was collected however it would contribute greatly to captive breeding efforts and the eventual increase in numbers would lead to a significant drop in their monetary value thus making poaching of the species financially unviable. I have studied ecology for 3 years at The University of Queensland and been on numerous expeditions to many areas on Cape-York Peninsula.

Adrian Hogg

I think that if they are in captive collections they will always survive, you can never rule out disaster - Cyclones, Tsunamis, Man etc
If they are spread through the country in private collections they will be forever preserved.
Adrian, Very true about the money drop leading to less poaching, if they were $200 snakes then nodoby would bother going to the cape to steal any!

Oenpelliensis have been found on the flood plain on at least two occasions in trees.I heard that at rep meeting few years back apparently food is the motivation remember being surprised to hear it myself. 50 animals sounds allot but its not you could take a couple of gravid females,i know it dont sound great but most scientific literature says collecting on a limited basis has little effect on the pop as a whole.Its not just crap its sensible practice. :D

Crikey Adrien !!! :lol: Yeh ive found some places where there must be hundreds of spilota per sgu k. i estimated that on the nesting animals found and greens must have hundreds of squ ks in pristine country. :D

From what I understand taking 50 GTP would have little or no effect on the population up there. I seem to remember seeing a programme on the Discovery channel (?) about GTP's in Far North Queensland and the consensus seemed to be that they were quite plentiful. I think keepers seem to think that if a snake or any animal commands a high price then it must be very rare. It just aint true.

They're definitely far from rare and as said if we had true Aussies and they were bred in big numbers the price would eventually drop the price and the attraction for poaching would definitely be less.I'm sure there are many pure Aussies in collections that are wild caught replacements for animals that they've lost.You could never claim to own a true Aussie green you've purchased from a breeder as there are none.I'm sure Irwin has Aussies...

Nah Dicco they're deemed Australian....checkout the past gtp threads and you'll find out exactly what the story is...

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, and I've had enough of the GPT threads to last me a life time ;) .

Seen pics of a GTP a guy owns in QLD that was aquired from URS Browns he knows it is mixed thats why he had such a hastle getting it into QLD.It is a very beautiful green with alot of blue torquoise colour especially on its head.He prizes it and ide prize it too if i could afford it. :lol:

I still rekon if you took 50 snakes from any (or at least most) population in australian, the population would suffer, at least for the short term.

Who the hell are we too take FIFTY snakes out of the wild, of any species, when we now have many species that are extremely common.

Stop being so bloody selfish and be happy with what you have!

To sum up the GTP situation, they are all exotics, they are grossly over priced and the price is being artificially kept high. :)

Yeah but they are deemed legally as Aussies and can be sold to the public...I've also seen a few from this line which were quite nice with the blue and have seen another line that was insane and i could have got Pure Aussies for 1 grand about 10 years or so ago bred by Rob Bredl but i've never been a big fan of em until i saw one recently which wasn't Aussie that's for sure....Robs adults and all the babies died as far as i know,so if His father was allowed to collect them once why can't someone do it again?

The consensus seems to be that 50 animals from almost any population would do virtually no harm, this is assuming that the animals aren't taken from a 2 or 3 square kilometre area.
ALL the animals we all have originally came from the wild. Why is it selffish to want a new species ?

To sum up the GTP situation, they are all exotics, they are grossly over priced and the price is being artificially kept high.
Yep too true,i've been saying that for ages.If all those Aussie Greens confiscated were kept and bred the price for greens would be at least half what it is now if not less but it isn't and i reckon something should be done about it.I wouldn't get an Aussie one myself but i would like some from some of the exotic lines around.

Its selfish because there are already a lot of GTPs in captivity. 90 or so in NSW alone I believe. I know of 12 up here... So god knows how many there are floating around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back