Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
HI! i am looking to get a snake for me and my daughter, she loves snakes. never having had one before i am looking for something that doesnt snap too much, is reasonably placid, is feeding well by itself, generally just a good first snake! i dont know much about snakes but am reading up on them and trying to absorb as much info as possible so anyones opinions are very welcome! thanks heap
~Sarah~

Do some searches on this site and you find plenty of topics that cover this, hopefully that will give you some sort of an idea.

how old is your daughter ? I would suggest a stimson or childrens python, they dont grow very big and are easy to keep

Do some searches on this site and you find plenty of topics that cover this, hopefully that will give you some sort of an idea.

hehehehe i have been sneaking in and quietly reading everyones comments stories etc and i am finding it hard to choose cos everyone loves their snakes soooo much and makes them all sound so great (hey- i never knew people got excited over albino death adders, but apparently its true! lol) so know my decision is getting harder!

how old is your daughter ? I would suggest a stimson or childrens python, they dont grow very big and are easy to keep

I'm with harley0402, those two are good first snakes. Remember though, all snakes bite, but mostly as hatchlings-juveniles.
Welcome to APS :)

my daughter is 2 1/2. know it sounds very young, but she is a real animal lover, scares me to death she has no fear! we have a particularly nasty indian ringneck and she is the only 1 that can go near him.

atothej09- i get that they all bite, can handle that, just dont want one that is overly aggressive, if that makes sense? what age would you suggest that i looked for? i dont want to end up with someone elses problem snake either lol!

i have also had spotted pythons recommended, any opinions? ill check out some pics of both stimsons and childrens! thanks for the warm welcome and the help!!
~sarah~

Well, at least you know Albino Death Adders are off your list! ;)

hehehehehe most definately!!!!!

Any of the 3 main antaresia are fine, stimsons, childrens and spotteds (or macs). All are relatively small, easy to care for hardy snakes that re generally quite placid and easily handleable. What state are you located in?

I've got a 2 month old Woma hatchie and he is an absolute angel, he hasn't even looked like biting. I'm not saying that he won't ever, nor am I saying that all womas are that placid but as far as a first snake goes, mine is absolutely perfect and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending one to others. People on here say that they get food crazy, where as soon as food is in the mix, they will bite at anything, but I haven't experienced that (yet!) They get a bit larger than childrens/stimsons, but it would grow as your daughter grows.

i am in nsw.

what sort of set up is best. i have a 3 foot fish tank that i was either going to swap/sell to get the enclosure for him/her but was then told that i could modify it into a snake house...

Welcome APS,

My suggestion would be a coastal python, I know there quote a large snake when there fully grown but in my opinion the placid and easily adapted. Plus it will grow with your daughter.

That's fair enuf. Id stay away from childrens pythons. Every1 I know has had problems with them being snappy and enclosure conscious. Maybe a diamond python???

You can pretty much go for anything you like, as someone stated earlier, any snake can be bitey, whether their big or small. When I got my first snake, a Childrens python, his was quite bitey, but tamed up really quickly. Then I got a pair of Atherton Jungles, a bit bigger then the Tully or Palmerstone Jungles. They weren't bitey at all, yet they are suppost to be the worst out of all Australian pythons. Now that i have many hatchling Jungles, i go by that.. They are always trying to bite, their up and ready, even when they can see you throough the tub and their 3 metres away.
I have a pair of Spotteds, and they are really good, a little flighty, but other then that, perfect for a first snake. Also, i have a pair of Woma's, and they are very, very bitey!

Another member said his woma was very good, but mine are the total opposite, so it goes to show, whether its a carpet python of some sort, a woma or black head, or a Antaresia, either one of them can be a bitey snake.

Yet with a lot of handling and attention, it will soon calm down, and it will be fine.
My recommendation would be a Murray Darling Carpet python, they do get quite a size to them, but are quite pretty, i have two hatchlings, and they wouldn't bite anything, they won't even bite a rat for me.. Haha.

It's really upto what you like, if its down to a size thing, Children's, Stimson's or Spotted's are the one. If size doesn't matter, anything could be what you want. Check out Black Headed pythons, their beautiful!

If i only had to get one snake i would buy a hatchling diamond python. They geat big enough to put around your neck but not to big take a while to get there so your cofidence grows with the snake, they look awesome eat well and i have two so not alot but both of mine have never tried to bite me. I have heeps of wild ones living around my place and its rare to find one that snaps at you when you pick it up!

I think a lot of it depends on the snake. Childrens are a good starter for pretty much anyone, they can be a little snappy to start with but they're small enough that it doesn't matter as much. I personally have a dislike of coastals as I have very rarely come across a "friendly" one, and they large enough that a bite can be dangerous. Womas are a personal favourite of mine as they are a medium sized snake, have beautiful markings and can be as good as any when it comes to handling. (By the way, I have both childrens and woma hatchlings for sale) As for Diamonds being "not too big" I wish someone told mine that before it grew past the 2m mark but I do agree with the temperament, our girl is beautiful. At the end of the day, do some research, look at some pictures and decide what it is that YOU want, not what other people recommend because no two people will agree on that. Good luck

Stick with the antaresias mate... specially if its for you and your daugther, once your more confident around snakes and she as well then there's plenty of time for the bigger ones.. Some people seem to forget that there's a two year old involved here and are suggesting potentially 2m long snakes which would have a head size of about a closed adult human fist imagine that around any part of a two year olds anatomy... Big snake... big bite, and as stated all snakes have the potential to bite.

Yeah i just got two womas from different parents and breedsers both the same age the male is placid as hasnt even hissed at me were as the female smashes the tank everytime i walk by! both about 4 months old now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back