Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the seller's tables needed to be spread a bit more...even where Glimmerman etc were selling was crowding a lot...

Not to mention the other corner...very cramped and difficult to browse...

Spreading them out would be a good idea.

IsK

I thought it was great having the general public there...I am only new to it all anyway but I took my old man, a mate and my brother along - they loved it...

Regardless of where you go you get pest kids around - not all were pests - some were great and obviously really keen on the animals on display (obviously a good thing) but others were just nuisances...spreading out the sellers tables a bit more might have made it easier to not be affected by them....

My hats off to you's guys. What a great show. I was told by so many people that it was a great improvement on the Vic show last year.

From the sound of things there seems to be 3 areas of concern regarding the show. Heat, stress and overpricing. All 3 issues are pretty hard to address.

1) Heat. Yes it was a hot hall, and yes I lost weight sweating(thanks guys) . The only answer to this would be to hire a airconditioned hall , but then we have the new problem of heating cages. My suggestion, stick to the same venue. The animals loved the heat and its probably cheaper hall to rent.

2) Stress. I personally did not notice any animals freaking out. You could add a rope fence to keep people back, but many of the cages needed to be veiwed up close to even see the animals. So I really cant see a fence being the answer. I think its up to the owner to bring animals that in their opinions can handle stressfull situations. One thing I did not like myself, were the animals on show in pet habitat containers. Easily knocked over injuring the animal, and or easily just picked up and stolen. These should be banned next next show, and all owners to bring their animals in proper enclosures.

3) Overpricing. I have to agree. Most people attending shows expect to pick up good deals and some probably thought they did. However some traders had added over 50% above the normal retail prices and people were being ripped off. Maybe when a trader is invited it should be suggested to keep the prices at the very least at normal retail prices. But this can only be a suggestion, because in the long run its totally up to the trader. Maybe a threat could be issued to them that if profiteering is observed they will not be invited back to future shows.

Maybe next time have some venomous species there. They were obviously lacking and I heard many comments in that regard. But apart from that there is really very little that could be done to improve the show. Congratualations Macarthur herp society on a show that was obviously a geat sucsess, and the best of its kind held so far in Australia.

One more tip, these shows are essential for the growth of the hobby and have you thought of running 2 or 3 of the shows a year if it could be managed

I also thought multiple shows would be a great idea - but might end up repetitive with the same animals...

I think the best way would be to approach the other Herp Societies in Sydney to run similar shows and then stagger them throughout the year...this would give us all something to look forward to on a regular basis and spread the responsibility/cost around for the mutual benefit of all of the societies...

Mac Herps showed that it can be done in an excellent manner, with quarantine procedures handled well and a great day put on for herpers and the public - I think the next step is for other Herp Societies to step up and out on similar days for the benefit of the hobby and the enjoyment of the hobbyists...

Get rid of the "annoying little brats" or, better yet, those that were annoyed by them.

IsK

As annoyed as I was, I politely tolerated them and kept my murderous intent to myself - But it should be expected a certain level of decorum should be enforced, for the animals sakes, the sellers and their potential buyers and other viewers. Two children in particular were running around under tables (where sold reptiles were being held in stacked chinese food containers - containers which could have been crushed, or knocked over) and creating a rucus. Another child was tapping a rod (one of those "Chomper" toys - the business end looks like the head of a predator...I believe his was a shark) against the monitor exhibits glass enclosures. Another child was tapping the lacie's tank with his pencil, trying to get the lacie to follow the movement.

I think this is an issue everywhere though - I know I only ever visit the zoo during the week while school is in to avoid pest kids...

Unfortunately there is not much that can be done regarding parents who are unwilling/unable to control their children whilst out in public - a barrier of some sort might work but as stated earlier it may make viewing some exhibits more difficult - and th really annoying little beggars would still be mucking up...

Also, following on from Bigguy earlier - I also think the pet habitat type enclosures should be removed. As Pete has stated some kids were opening them up etc and they just weren't working like some of the others...

I think, for smaller animals, the setup that was used for the monitors and the bright yellow beardie was brilliant, worked VERY well and looked neat as well...

As annoyed as I was, I politely tolerated them and kept my murderous intent to myself - But it should be expected a certain level of decorum should be enforced, for the animals sakes, the sellers and their potential buyers and other viewers. Two children in particular were running around under tables (where sold reptiles were being held in stacked chinese food containers - containers which could have been crushed, or knocked over) and creating a rucus. Another child was tapping a rod (one of those "Chomper" toys - the business end looks like the head of a predator...I believe his was a shark) against the monitor exhibits glass enclosures. Another child was tapping the lacie's tank with his pencil, trying to get the lacie to follow the movement.

Well that is certainly different than enthusiastic kids pressing their noses up against the enclosures.........

IsK

I'm just going to throw these suggestions at you (while they still hot)-
- roped off fence from the reptiles
- a huge sign saying - DO NOT TAP ON THE GLASS
- maybe some volunteers with a tag saying - happy to answer all questions for the newbies to be?
- as for the floor layout - a one way S bend type layout so people don't run back and forth
- I heard (eavesdropped) alot of people commenting on pugslys pics - so maybe a herp art bit?
- Maybe for the kiddies - a hands on bit like the kids bit at museums - snake skins, videos of egg laying, ect
- Bush walking education and first aid bit?

I didn't know there were talks during the day otherwise i would have stayed longer, where was the sign?

Ok my head hurts now.......take it and run with it if you like :D

Last edited:
I also didnt know there were talks on, and didnt know what time the places were to be announced, maybe u could have had a timetable or somthing telling every one what was on through out the day.

Hold it somewhere else next time? To throw a random suggestion into the mix... Cairns??

I like the idea of the people designed to answer questions - but it should also be said that I saw a lot of the exhibitors doing just that throughout the day...especially over near the monitors and beardie...

OK, here are my suggestions:

1. Have NPWS attend so that they can process licence applications then and there. I am not sure if they will agree to this but I think a lot more first timers wouldve bought complete setups if it was possible.

2. An on-site ATM so that people can pay for 1. :)

3. Uniformity in the cages would ne nice. I know this has been disccussed and there are ways to do this without spending too much. I also agree that no one should be be using click-clacks as display cages. They just dont offer any security for the animals.

4. Have some basic reptile keeping courses run throughout the day. Somethings like basic reptile husbandry, cage setup etc. These should be FREE and run several times throughout the day.

Personally there are a few things I would do better next time around, like having a printed price list, and caresheets. It would also be nice to be able to display the parent animals on the sellers tables next to the hatchies.

I'll think of more ...

3) Overpricing. I have to agree. Most people attending shows expect to pick up good deals and some probably thought they did. However some traders had added over 50% above the normal retail prices and people were being ripped off.

All the bargains were at our tables hey Bob?
It was the busiest part of the show all day.

Cheers, Greg.

OK, here are my suggestions:

1. Have NPWS attend so that they can process licence applications then and there. I am not sure if they will agree to this but I think a lot more first timers wouldve bought complete setups if it was possible.

Or perhaps just have a stand at the event.

IsK

Yes there were a few annoying children on the day. One little girl in particular would pick up the containers with for sale reptiles in them and give it a really good shake. We spotted her doing this at several other sellers tables and were ready for her when she reached my table. Her parents just stood back watching her and said nothing. In fact they even looked offended when we told their daughter not to pick up the containers. Some parents really need a good kick up the bum for letting their little darling run riot right in front of them and not saying a word.

Trouble is, there is nothing any one can do to stop overactive children. They will turn up to any function opened to the public. Its just a fact of life we have to put up with. I on the other hand have no hestitation in telling annoying children just to move on.

There was heaps of room for the sellers to spread out. We had heaps of room. The first of us to arrive were nicely spread out with heaps of room left, the later arrivals were the trouble. Rather then spreading out into the remaining space, they just jammed into the gaps we had left between each other. I asked the people next to me to move further away, and was quickly told they couldnt even bother to move. It did make it very crowded around the tables, and also even hotter than it allready was.

overall it was excellent - a bit steamy in the hall, yes, but happy to deal with it because i assumed it was being kept warmish for the comfort of the animals.

continuing on bryony's suggestion of some volunteers - perhaps there could also be a handful of other volunteers to generally keep an eye on things and politely and respectfully keep wild kiddies (and their parents) under control? nothing against the kids who were obviously very interested in learning about everything, but when kids are stressing the animals by opening enclosures or whacking them with things, that's a bit much.

i saw one over-zealous lady at a for sale stand (next to the one selling mice cages) who picked up some poor baby snake in a chinese food container to show her son and dropped it - not on the floor thank god, but a few inches back on to the table none the less. it's a bit upsetting to see already anxious animals being treated like toys by those who don't know better.

i'm all for educating the public and very glad it was an open to the public event - would have taken my young nephews along if they were available - but maybe some mature, sensible volunteers who could tactfully control those who need controlling would make it a better experience for the animals, and isn't that the most important thing? :) just my opinion guys

I think reptile keeping courses would have been a really good idea, and probably not that difficult to arrange.

I also think people selling hatchling setups would have been a good idea too, like click clacks for snakes that come with everything u need.

Not sure if processing applications on the spot is a good idea - possibly opens up the ability for more uninformed impulse buys...definately a great idea for them the have a stand there though, with applications for licences and general info...

Also really like the idea of an ATM around somewhere...

And definately think some husbandry courses throughout the day would be brilliant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back