Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have just read the article on the Maccies. Mine have been mating constantly now for about a week ending about two days ago. I am curious to no how long until they lay.(If they were successful).The female seems to be getting quite full quickly.
Rob

RE: From my first post

Hey Rob,
Its pretty late in the season for them, you may be lucky.
One looks like a childreni to me?
Wait for the pre-lay shed, about 26 days +- after that she should lay.
Cheers
Ad

You'll probably find that they actually are not copulating. It is very late in the season for them to be doing it, although it is very common for them to align their tails as if they are. I have one which is about to lay eggs, probably a week or so away and the pair sit there for a few hours almost every day lined up just like that. They do it every year and I've seen it in several other collections. I'm at a loss to work out why they do it, but after ovulation this is what they do. If you're going to get eggs, which is quite likely, it will probably be within 2-6 weeks or so. If you're sufficiently inclined, gently poke them next time they're at it and see if they're actually copulating or just alligned, then let us know.

As ad points out, you're making hybrids there. No big deal really as most of the children's pythons in captivity are already hybridised (despite most of them being sold as pure), sadly the damage is largely done already, but it's something you should know. The 'spotted python' looking one is really nice. Good luck.

I hope for your reputations sake you put any eggs you get in the freezer.

thats like nazi herpism

those are cute little pythons in dem eggs.

i don't think their purity is a basis to kull

and, further more - this guy probably bought those two as spotteds, how's he to know any different.

which is exactly why he shudnt breed em.... If he thinks he has a pair of maccies.. he sells the babies as maccies! And the cycle goes on and on!!! Its nothing personal at all, its obvious he didnt know! Its jus tmy opinion!

Bring on the hybrids.........:D:D

Might as well freeze most diamond python eggs with the mac stimchildrenis and throw in a few womas and bhps,its not worth worrying about cause they are destined to be like coloured budgies.Most keepers cross out of ignorance or they might not know that yellow diamond had a black mummy that got humped by a carpet. :)

The animal does look childreniish but there are a number of wild caught maccies Ive seen mainly from southeast QLD, Caboolture being where one was, that look much the same as that animal. The same faded washed out look that most childreni have. Who knows?.
Rob

Well I never thought I'd say this but, wait for it, I agree with Brodie!!! I don't think there is any good reason to proliferate cross breeding.

Just thought i'd rekindle this thread.

I have a jungle diamond hybrid which i'm sure is gravid already but time will tell.The funny thing is i posted a pic a while back of her mating and said she was pure Palmerston and nobody could tell the difference or it wasn't pointed out as usual if anyone thought it to be slighltly suspect of purity.

If all goes well i certainly won't be freezing the eggs and culling and will advertise them as jundi's jungle diamond x jungle and i bought the female intentionally as a jungle diamond cross.As has been said time and time again most can't 100% guarantee purity and if in doubt and the animal doesn't quite look right for what it's advertised people have the right to query and the animals such as above if they are different sub species offspring should be advertised as such as you'd have no idea looking at the offspring knowing exactly what they are.

The hybrids are coming wether anyone likes it or not so at least be honest and represent them as such.Just my thoughts and i'm bored shytless and it's been a sad day.Anyone care to further thir thoughts on people culling hybrids,they are living animals and wasn't their fault they were crossed.At least you could advertise the above as Childrens family if they are crosses????

They don't stay pure in the wild in some areas (mac cross stimmie etc) so as long as they aren't advertised as pure macs who really cares. In victoria multi generational bred animals (older lines)from the childrens group are nearly all crossed because they all came under the one name until recently.
Stevo

Stevo said:
They don't stay pure in the wild in some areas (mac cross stimmie etc) so as long as they aren't advertised as pure macs who really cares. In victoria multi generational bred animals (older lines)from the childrens group are nearly all crossed because they all came under the one name until recently.
Stevo

Some think the Americans have the monopoly on cross breeds!
I have been very surprised to see personally and hear of so many here in Australia, it's really quite sad in many respects.
Don't get me wrong, there is a place for them in our captive hobby, but so many people must have been mislead, albeit intentionally or not when they have bought one species or another.
I think that individual states that have clumped the different species together like that have alot to answer for, they have ignored the issue for years it would seem.
It is no wonder that you still get rogues ripping off the bush to supply an ever demanding pure provenance specific market.(WA collectors exempt from those comments, obviously!)

Neil

as long as they aren't advertised as pure macs who really cares.

Not aiming at you Stevo, but this is the number one comment when it comes to the hybrid debate and gets repeated adnauseum without a lot of thought behind it.
Who really cares what he advertises them as - where do you think these macs will be sold - to people buying pets. How many recognized breeders are looking at these animals and saying "i want to add them to my breeding collection". If people are serious and want to 'get into' breeding - would they start with these offspring?

Yes Ad, but the point is in this thread he didn't know what he had and they might have mated and might get eggs. Do you think it would be better to destroy the eggs or hatch them and sell them as crosses?

Quote:
If people are serious and want to 'get into' breeding - would they start with these offspring?

I do however believe that "who really cares" is more-so for the newbie that justs wants a pet childrens python. Not everyone wants a python to breed and make money ,alot of people just want a pet snake.

alot of people just want a pet snake.

This is my point exactly Stevo, These offspring will never be anything other than pets. Breeders wont be lining up to buy them.
You said "as long as he advertises them as hybrids" - How could he if he doesnt know?
It can be assumed he would have sold any offspring as macs, the offspring would have been impossible to tell as hybrids, little johnny getting his first pet python would probably never be aware. He is getting a pet and will be happy with, it will not have any different characteristics from a normal snake.
Is purity of line essential to these people who want just a pet?
We are talking entry level herping and im sure the refinements of line and locality purity will become more important once someone progresses more.
Cheers
Ad

Its not hard to get a pure so why bother with a x-breed ?
I cannot see any advantage in having the mac cross with a childreni as the macs colour is so much better .
I agree with Brodie here as well .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back