Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This what I always thought the best argument against the housing-separately hysteria. I mentioned in another thread a while ago, sydney wildlife world has an extensive reptile collection, most of the snakes housed with others of the same species and many of the lizards in mixed-species enclosures.

This what I always thought the best argument against the housing-separately hysteria. I mentioned in another thread a while ago, sydney wildlife world has an extensive reptile collection, most of the snakes housed with others of the same species and many of the lizards in mixed-species enclosures.

Yes I thought of this example too! They have about 5 jungles in together, a trio of Diamonds and a trio of Bredli, a pair of gorgeous Scrubbies etc. They are far bigger enclosures than most people would have at home though...

Kirby, you are the one who should be spat on and slapped. Your comments are insult to the highly professional and devoted keepers at the Zoo. Who are you? Have you worked in a professional capacity at any zoological establishment or are you just a yobo?

I'm not sure how much of a "secret" it is. Most people know about it, well, most people i know.

What do they do?

Also, jessb - not having been to Sydney Wildlife World, how large are the enclosures? I was very impressed with the snake enclosures at Australia Zoo when I visited last Saturday. They were each a couple of metres long and a metre or more wide.

What do they do?

LOL glad you asked, after asking once I didn't want to look silly by asking again!!! :oops:

Some of the enclosures at SWW are really quite big - the scrubbies' one was over 2m high and took up a whole wall. I'd say most of the ones that had multiple big pythons in there were at least the size of a small bathroom.

I have never been to Melbourne Zoo, however, can definately comment on the enclosures at SWW...

They are amazing...

The design is fantastic, and frankly, they mixed species/multiple animals makes for a MUCH more interesting display...

I believe the key, as has been addressed by a few others, is that SWW provide exceptionally large and well-designed display enclosures to accomodate this. In fact, the first time I attended I could not believe the height and size that was available to the Blueys/Shingles - I attended again recently and it now makes a lot more sense, they have added Gouldain Finches to the same display...

I recently watched a keeper feeding the Frillies and Hosmers (If I recall) at the same time in the same enclosure, the difference became clear - the Frillies rarely leave their trees and when they do it is to get down to the ground to feed...the Hosmers dont really leave the rock ledges...it works...and looks great! (In fact, the same enclosure also used to house Tristis as well)...

I would still hesitate to advice too many keepers to travel this route as I think, in general, enclosure size in most private collections makes this more difficult - in saying that - if you provide an adequate enclosure I dont think you could put together a much more impressive enclosure than a functional mixed species setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back