Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M-Van86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As with most people here I've found owning a snake, in my case a little Spotted Python, very addictive and I'm considering getting another snake .

The species I'm most interested in visually are:

~ Jungle Carpet.
~ Darwin Carpet.
~ Murray Darling/Victorian Carpet.
~ Diamond Python.
~ Bredli's Python

Would be grateful to hear the pros and cons of those Morelias might be.
Don't really want something that's going to get much past 2.5metres/8.2feet (from the PoV of wanting an animal I'll be able to handle alone - for if/when I move out from home).
Also not looking to buy for a few months, just researching at the moment.

Well it is hard to choose due to preference. Personally my choice from that list would be:

1. Bredli - absolutley gorgeous species with beautiful temperament
2. Diamond or better still Port Mac (Intergrade) - Can have great marking, colours, temperament and, I believe, hardier than diamonds.

Yeah I'm bias as I have two bredlis. But girl is getting closer to 2m now, she is so beautiful and so calm. Doesn't mind kids saying hi or just hanging around with me. She's never been agro at all. And I can't wait till she gets bigger still. I'd say that's the only con for them, if you want something no more than 2.5m, they could get a bit bigger than that.

My little boy is still smaller (about 1.5m), so I still have the cute little stage and he too is a happy calm snake. I don't think I've spoken to anyone who has an angry bredli.

That's a fantastic article from Doc Rock, Colin. Thanks for posting.

Lots of newies lately asking about first snakes... would this be worth putting up as a sticky?

Oh, M-Van - I have just bought 2 MD hatchies that are an absolute pleasure! The male is as chilled out as they come, while my female has a bit more spunk and inquisitiveness in her personality. I cought them because the parents were STUNNING imo, so I'm excited to have snakes that look great, too.

I also have a yearling Bredli, who is just starting to get some colour. He's got more 'tude than the MDs, but he is settling down into a more placid handler, and he's a great feeder.

My first snake was a stimmy... he was the best. Great feeder, great shedder, great handler (even with the 3-4yo nephews :shock:) - he used to sit around my pony tail while I did the grocery shopping :)

Good luck with choosing - pick something you like the look of, is hardy, has good feeding history, and spend some time with the breeder looking at individuals, and I would say, lean towards a hatchy or yearling that shows less snappy tendencies (it'll just be a bit easier, being your first snake).

Let us know how you're going!

What no South West Carpet Python on your list :shock: Suit yourself ;)

my bredli and diamonds are my faves, although they may get a little bigger than 2.5 meters, id rather have a lovely calm 3 metre snake than a feral 2 metre one. :)

great colours/patterns and great feeders.

my jungles are lovely too, visually,....but they dont like me very much, lol. :)

For some one wanting the next step up from a spotted, i would recomend a Diamond Python out of your wish list. The two i have are in deed the most placid out of my zoo, and are on par with BHP's in looks, easy to handle, and no problems when it comes to feeding time. I housed them together til they were yearlings, fed them seperately and could handle straight away after feeding to put them back in there enclosure. A great allrounder. Beast of luck! Brad.

My advice would be to go with the one you like the look of. You really cant judge temperament, ease of handling, ease of feeding and even size based on the species because there are ALWAYS going to be exceptions to the rule. While yes, in general, bredlis and MDs are quiet and calm and jungles and darwins are snappy, I have heard first hand stories that go against this trend.

As sure as you choose a bredli, for example, because you want something calm, it will be an absolute chainsaw and you wont wanna handle it. You may avoid getting a jungle for the snappy factor but could have mates who get jungles and they are the calmest and most relaxed snakes around.

Also where size is concerned, they are also only averages and as sure are you make a decision based soley on that as the deciding factor you will end up with a 12ft monster.

Also consider the conditions which will be required. I remember reading up on all the species when I was starting to look and, while I liked the look of the diamonds, the UV light factor took them out of the running. I was trying to do my first set up as inexpensively as possible (poor uni student) and I loved the idea that the other species could just have a red light on 24/7 and that was it.

My first snake was an MD, and people assume I chose it because they are known to be a bit quieter, but I was quite happy, and expected, to get bitten. My decision came down to looks, pure and simple. They are simple gorgeous, IMHO. My girl is as calm and relaxed as you would ever want a snake but I have recently heard stories about an absolute nightmare of an MD on this very site.

So, to make a long story.. less long, you really are best to choose the snake you like the look of the most, be prepared to deal with the good and the bad that may come along, and enjoy.

South-West Carpets can be a little snappy when young, but settle down quite quickly. Rarely get to 2m, though a few big ones around 2.4m have been recorded, but they are well and truly exceptions. Quite docile as adults and a pleasure to keep. However, from what I understand there aren't a lot in collections in states other than WA.

S

PS: called South-West Carpet Pythons because they are found in the south-west of WA.

i love the look of jungles and over the next few months i will be spending quiet abit of coin buying good quality jungles

bredli i have always liked the look of but have never kept they get to a desent size to and a large nasty one is a handfull

murry darlings i have bred and are easy to keep/breed and get to about 7ft

darwins are another fav of mine with jungles and imbricata's as they show a large range in colour and used to command a decent price which has since fallen as everyone is breeding them with the whole albino thing, i myself cant wait to get hold of some albino's

coastal carpets are common cheap and generally non-nasty they also attain the largest size of any carpet theres also the rdm/jag, stripe and hypo morphs availible in these which look fantastic

south-west carpets (morelia spilota imbricata) these guys are highly variable in colour all over south WA and i think they are farily appealing and they also can reach a decent size after they stack afew years on

hrmmm did i leave any out? yes look at simon stones article its free on his site southern cross reptiles, i also belive that no carpets would attain a size that would be dangerous to handle one of the first pythons i kept was a semi aggressive close to 9ft olive and i actually miss her i love olives

This is a imbricata ;)

hills4.jpg

hills3.jpg

hills1.jpg

Hi MVann
I notice you are in Melbourne. We bought our snake from a wonderful breeder Snakeitup. We have the most beautiful Jungle Python she is absolutely wonderful We got to see Mum and Dad and saw how wonderful and calm they are.
I agree with Blondie 84 get the snake you like the look of first because you cannot guarantee temperament. The only other thing I would add is if at all possible try to buy from a breeder youca n go and visit and see the snake. This has worked so well for us because we felt so confident about when we were gettiing.

Regards

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back