Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony88

Reaction score
Is Morelia variegata classified as a sub species of carpet python? If not what is it?

Yes, it is and from what i understand "Variegata" as, this includes "cheynei, metcalfei and mcdowelli" in the same sub species.

But no doubt someone will probably dissagree :lol:

yeah sorry donks, not same sub-species but same species being Morelia spilota. We have a number of sub species of Morelia Spilota. M s Variegata being one of them.

Of course, many years about (about 15 I guess) All carpet pythons except Diamonds and Imbricata were M s Variegata. Since then they have been further reclassified to come up with Jungles, Darwins, Coastals and Murray Darlings. We also have a new speciees being Morelia Bredli. this snake used to be m s Variegata but because it has more than 9 (i think) scales between the eyes mr Bredl manage dto have it reclassified as a new species instead of a sub species.

So.... there is no Morelia Variegata, only Morelia Spilota Variegata.

Now, apparently, in Victoria, the govt hasn;t actually learned about the new sub species and they only recognise all carpets as M s variegata. Go figure.

And sorry, 10.30pm is not my best time to respond to these threads

Yes, it is and from what i understand "Variegata" as, this includes "cheynei, metcalfei and mcdowelli" in the same sub species.

But no doubt someone will probably dissagree :lol:

I'm gonna disagree with ya Donk.

Morelia variegata is not a valid name.
Morelia spilota variegata is the correct name for the subspecies known as the northwest Carpet (or Darwin Carpet).
M.s.cheynei, M.s.metcalfei and M.s.mcdowelli are all valid subspecies, just like M.s.spilota.

There was a time when there was only the two subspecies, M.s.spilota - the Diamond python - and everything else was M.s.variegata. Then Wells and Wellington created the new subspecies in 1984 (although they listed them as full species).

:p

Hix

Ok PJ here we go :lol: it is to late for this:lol::lol: i thought the DNA testing went like this;

Morelia spilota imbricata- South West Carpet Python

Morelia spilota spilota - Diamond Python

Morelia spilota bredli - Bredl's Python

Morelia spilota variegata - which included cheynei, metcalfei and mcdowelli

Is this out dated PJ, dna cant lie can it?

donk

what about m.s. Imbricata??? I seem to remember that as a sub species back in my day. will need to get my old Cogger out.

and Hi Hix. You are still too sober.

Last edited:
Donk,

the DNA testing (which I don't believe has been published yet) resulted in the following.

Morelia imbricata - SW Carpet
Morelia bredli - Central Carpet
Morelia spilota - Carpet Python (including all the remaining subspecies)

And it's possible that Chondropython will be resurrected and will include viridis and carinata.

Hix

well that matches the current status anyway - with all the sub species of Morelia Spilota being the same DNA (as you would expect).

But yes mate, according to Cogger v5 (1988) Imbricata was still M s imbricata back then. (cant do italics - how do you do that)

Donk,

the DNA testing (which I don't believe has been published yet) resulted in the following.

Morelia imbricata - SW Carpet
Morelia bredli - Central Carpet
Morelia spilota - Carpet Python (including all the remaining subspecies)

And it's possible that Chondropython will be resurrected and will include viridis and carinata.

Hix

Ok so we drop Variegata all together, and throw Spilota sp. in with cheynei, metcalfei and mcdowelli

Does that sound right? ( my brain smells like burning):lol:

donk

Actually, what the DNA says is that the is NO M.s.spilota, no variegata, no cheynei etc.

They are all Morelia spilota, there are no subspecies. (Like what Victoria does)

Hix

Yep, but Diamonds (being m.s. spilota) are also there

But I still reckon this a vic licensing question

Oh and PJ, buggered if i know how to use italics ;)

donk

Pete,

The DNA says there is no Morelia spilota spilota.

Hix

Can't they be described as different sub species purely on their different physical characteristics?

Hix,

Is the research Steve Donellens? Can you enlighten me further. Especially about Chondro's.

DNA testing cannot tell the difference between diamond, darwin, coastal, jungle etc. They all appear the same through DNA. The only ones that show variation are Bredli and imbricata. So, technically, all Morelia spilota is one species, they just look heaps different. Which brings into it another debate altogether....LOL

DNA testing may not be able to tell them apart (yet), but surely they must have different DNA to some degree, otherwise they would all look exactly the same, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back