Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hix said:
Parko said:
Interestingly enough if you breed 2 different types of gum tree's togethor the offspring are called hybrids.

Because those 2 different types are two different species.

When two different Banksia varients(the equilivant of sub-species) cross pollinate the results are called hybrids.

Yay, that is now 100 posts to my picture of my pet. Is that considered my maiden century? Can I take my helmet off and salute the crowd?

And I know nothing about whether they are intergrades or hybrids but maybe we could learn something from Darwin and hi s Galapogos Tortoises. They effectively have intergrades and that is how he came up with his theory. So whilst I originally thought that the northern diamonds were a result of breeding with carpets to the point where botht eh carpets & diamonds both disappeared and only left the Port Mac python maybe we have a situation more like the Galapogos. Which means, yes they are intergrades.

And I guess you are talking about De Vries & Lamarck being the other theorists? I don;t think anyone still agrees with Lamarck. I don't think m y children have stronger right arms so they can be squash champions. Howver De Vries alost fits in with Darwin in that he talks about mutations. If the mutations make you more adapted (i.e. a mutation giving you a stronger right arm might make you a better squash player) then your chances of survival are better.

and maybe for some reason, the higher yellow content around Port Mac helped those little Diamonds.

I think it also helps keep blue eyes (a recessive gene) in existence. although now they we have good family planning blue eyes may slowly fade away..... But that is not for this forum.

See. The wine is kicking in now.

Dicco said:
When two different Banksia varients(the equilivant of sub-species) cross pollinate the results are called hybrids.

Well, I guess I really can't comment on plants. Maybe botanists have modified their definition of the word to suit their needs.

Peterjohnson said:
maybe we could learn something from Darwin and hi s Galapogos Tortoises. They effectively have intergrades and that is how he came up with his theory.

Huh?

The only Galapagos Tortoise intergrades are found in captivity. Each tortoise evolved separately on different islands. The environment is slightly different on the islands, so each tortoise subspecies had been modified to suit it's specific environment. They never met, because each island is separated by the ocean and they have strong waves around there.

Incidentally, the tortoises weren't what gave him the idea - he'd had the idea forming for a while - but they were an excellent example that fitted his model. But his study of the Galapagos Finches furthered his ideas.

And no, I wasn't refering to Lamarck.

:p

Hix

Hix said:
Dicco said:

Well, I guess I really can't comment on plants. Maybe botanists have modified their definition of the word to suit their needs.
Haha, suits the definition of hybrid from what I can see ;)

I guess I expressed myself poorly when I called the tortoisese intergrades. I guess I was trying so say thet they were all the same species although different in certain characteristics. As I also see Port Mac diamonds compared to Wollongong diamonds. At first I thought the Port Macs were caused by interbreeding with Capets but now I think that may not have been the case. They just evolved that way as did the tortoises. different regions - different traits. Thats what I meant.

Maybe that means I agree with Dicco. That they are intergrades. Because they haven't bred with something else but they are different. But then I also think that maybe NT BHPs are therefore an intergrade to Qld BHPs. following the same logic.

I am just offering discussion here. Maybe I will make a double century.

Dicco said:
Hix said:
Dicco said:

Haha, suits the definition of hybrid from what I can see ;)

Agreed.

Out of curiosity, do botanists use the term intergrade?

:p

Hix

I'm not sure if they use it, but now I'm interested in finding out, I'll get back to you on that one Hix.

I just did a google search on "Intergrade versus hybrid" and it is interesting that most of the responses of any note were reptile related. Mainly with corn snakes and rat snales. didn't really help me much with any information. It just proved to me that you guys are more knowledgable than most in the world. And then you still can't agree. So much for accounting & law being the social sciences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back