Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if I decide to marry a chinese lady & we have kids are they intergrades or hybrids? Or are humans like BHP's - we merely have regional diferences?

Humans are all one species Pete, no sub species. The genetic differences between races is fractional, i believe there are more genetic differences between ppl of the one race than between races, if you know what i mean. You could compare the human races to a mass line breeding program, still the same species just different traits have been brought out thru line breeding. I for example would be termed '' the pick of the clutch''.

re My

peterjohnson64 said:
And if I decide to marry a chinese lady & we have kids are they intergrades or hybrids? Or are humans like BHP's - we merely have regional diferences?
Yeh mine are intergrades pete!! just love my intergrades!!! :p

Parko said:
Humans are all one species Pete, no sub species. The genetic differences between races is fractional, i believe there are more genetic differences between ppl of the one race than between races, if you know what i mean. You could compare the human races to a mass line breeding program, still the same species just different traits have been brought out thru line breeding. I for example would be termed '' the pick of the clutch''.
No NO NO, i think no scientist has the testicles to designate subspecies,thats more like the truth. :)

Dicco said:
I can't understand(I'm not doubting it) why they use a word which definition is different to what they're using it to describe. I only see this as incorrect useage of a term? As the definition of the word intergrade does not match what they are describing?

You've taken the literal meanings of the word, and in zoology those words have parameters.

eg.
Dicco said:
the definition of hybrid is a cross between two things

This statement is quite correct, and applied that way can refer to things like hybrid computers, hybrid engines etc. In zoology then (taking it literally), you yourself are a hybrid as your parents are two different things genetically, and your genetic makeup is a cross of those genotypes. So the definition of hybrid has been in reference to two different species. It's been that way for donkey's years.

Your definition of intergrade still holds true, but it doesn't matter whether they occur naturally or not. An intergrade is a mixing at a subspecific level, and the term has been used to differentiate from hybrids (species crosses, which are usually, but not always, sterile).

Dicco said:
To go off topic, I've always been curious about animals in zoos and what conservation value they would have if not pure, I wasn't sure if they would ignore reigonal varients and/or sub species for endangered species. For example if the Borneo population of Orangutans went extinct, would they bother introducing the Sumatran population or would they see it as pointless because the Sumatrans simply aren't the Borneo's and why put a different animal there to replace it seeing how they are not the same thing.

Difficult topic. I think that while both subspecies still exist, nobody is suggesting we re-introduce the other subspecies into their environment as it will taint the gene pool. And with the orangs, if one subspp did go extinct in the wild, there should be enough in captivity to breed up for re-introduction.

However, hypothetically, if the Sumatran went extinct and there were none in captivity, only Borneans, would we introduce them if the reasons for the extinction were removed?

I think the general view would be 'yes' (although some purists might disagree). The Sumatran rainforest has evolved an intricate ecosystem that has orangs as a part of it - having no orangs would change the ecosystem forever, possibly quite dramatically. Having orangs would mitigate that problem, even if their genetics were different.

The really controversial question would be: if sumatran orang numbers got really low, and there were none in captivity, should we re-introduce intergrades to bolster the population?

Or, if Sumatrans become extinct in the wild and captivity, should we reintroduce intergrades only?

:p

Hix

Dicco said:
hmm, I'm tossing up the idea of asking a question that might start another argument, I'm just not sure if it's worth it ;)

Yeah c'mon Dicco mate fire away, it'll give us something to do while you work out what Hix just said.

Ok, Cape Yorks seem to have genetic influence form both Coastals and and Darwins, and I have never seen a line drawn to state where on becomes another, what are they? I have an idea but I think I'll shut my mouth ;)

i had a fully intergraded bluetounged jungle woma tipan with hybridised
speckled fuel injected gold nipples.

it got out and bred with a ferral cat.

Yup plenty of intergrade women up here,it's like Heinz 101 varietys :lol:
Ok, Cape Yorks seem to have genetic influence form both Coastals and and Darwins, and I have never seen a line drawn to state where on becomes another, what are they? I have an idea but I think I'll shut my mouth

Which like most are carpets still at the end of the day hey Dicco :wink:

Dicco,-yeah mate pass some over here, its hungry work watching naked women frolic in the sea.

I was gonna say something about interwhatsits but by the time i read the whole thread id forgotten! :?

btw, nice to have met you at featherdale Peter. :)

OK, Ive got one here on the front row, close enough to get splashed with all that frolicing going on.

Interestingly enough if you breed 2 different types of gum tree's togethor the offspring are called hybrids.

Lol Dicco, yep them too. Hopefully we can drag Sdaji and his biological dictionary into this thread, then him and hix'y can have a fascinating little chat in Latin. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back