Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing to remember and Im sure most would agree with me here is that every snake has its own personality and should be treated accordingly, which means the number one rule to apply is common sense and by saying that every snake has the ability to "latch on" when it so desires. Stimmies, Coastals, Murray Darlings and Childrens are supposed to be the best handling. However, that being said I have had people say that they had had a docile olive/scrubby etc.

So basically it really goes back to my opening statement. Apply the principles of good husbandry using common sense and that will go along way to ensuring a good handling snake. Don't forget the personalities though.

Good luck with it...

Ive never had problems handling BHPs and Womas.
I think for consistent placid nature you cant go past a Diamond Python.
Im sure you will get quite a few different opinions tho....:D
</IMG>

and now after Reptalica has given exactly the right answer everyone who has the total experience with a species totalling no more than two individuals of that species will now come on and tell you that their's is the best species to handle because their individual is good.

Just like the person who has a nice tempered Pit Bull telling you Pit Bulls are well tempered.

black headed pythons are very placid creatures and they grow tamer and tamer as they grow older but as Reptalica said every snake has their own personality hope you choose a wonderful snake...good luck

I would say childrenI or Stimmie.
Ive got a childrenI and she is so placid.
Ive had her from babie size and she hasnt tagged me yet but i aint saying she wont ;)

the most placid snakes i have ever come across have been diamonds. my diamond has been steped on before and he didnt even flinch (not by me). and with all the diamonds i have come across all of them have been very placid. but if the size of the snake is something that worrys you also, because diamonds can get to a couple of metres, then you cant go past a stimmie, from what ive seen they are alot more placid then childrens when starting out, and are a great little snake. ive seen many childrens and spotteds that were very bitey when small, but am yet to come across a stimmie like that.

each individual snake is different... if you're looking for a snake with a good temperament ask if you can handle the snake before making a decision.

Just like the person who has a nice tempered Pit Bull telling you Pit Bulls are well tempered.

LOL you're opening a can of worms!!!!! :lol:

Back on topic, as much as there are individual personalities, there is a reason jungles have their reputation for being snappy - no smoke without fire and all that.

I realise that all snakes are different, however I think you can stack the odds a little bit in your favour by choosing a snake that has a reputation for being easy to handle. I think maybe this is what the poster is trying to ascertain.

Childrens and Stimsons are supposed to be good (our Stimson's hatichie has never struck at us at all, but Arbok, who got his at the same time from the same breeder reckons his Stimmie is trying to eat his sister!!!)

Murray Darlings are also supposed to be reasonably placid, but remember they get a fair bit bigger than an Antaresia.

Good luck, and go with whichever snake feels right...

Last edited:
pygmy pythons never strike or bite, the most placid species imo

there's not enough of them around to be available as pets yet, all would be in programmes for a while to come though

all my snakes handle well (oh other than my male Diamond who seems fond of having a bite every now and then) but i havn't been bit for a few months know (maybe even a year) with any of my snakes.. bear in mind that i only handle them a few times a week as only the BHP likes being handled often..

and now after Reptalica has given exactly the right answer everyone who has the total experience with a species totalling no more than two individuals of that species will now come on and tell you that their's is the best species to handle because their individual is good.

lol so true,

anyway as Peter has said everyone will recommend a different species because there paticular one is a darling.... eg people say stimos are awsome handlers.... my stimo is fiesty!
i would like to comment that bhps are beautiful if your looking for a big snake... they can be very defense in there cages though and put on a fancy show :)

but i love my bhp!

Not that i am all that experienced, i only just got my fist snake and it is a BHP. He has a beautiful nature, very calm. But the guy who sold him to me has been keeping and working with all manner of pythons for 25 yrs and he recons they have the best temperament .

You will get many mixed replies for this question. I find that it all comes down to the snakes personality. Alot of people will say that bhp's are good to handle, mine on the other hand is a phsyco. I find that stimmies are generally very placid along with bredlis. Like I said though it will come down to the snake itself though.

Black Headed Pythons and Womas are good but if your not keen on spending around $900 and over then id say go for a bredli, or one from the childreni family (spotted, stimson or childrens)
thats from what ive herd not from experience tho lol

Bredli are a fantastic snake, my first was a bredli, my second will be too (in 3 weeks, i'm soo excited!!!!) :p

I was planning on getting a spotted but each one the guy picked up kept striking him. Then he brought out this lovely childrens and he/she was so docile so I decided to get that one. I've had him/her for about a week and a half now and it has never once tried to strike me even when I've accidently given it a fright. I do agree with what the others are saying, I think it really comes down to the snakes own personality and how you treat them.

Pit bulls or any bull terrior for that matter have lovely natures. It's just some stupid owners who turn them vicious by mistreating them and funnily enough most of them are male. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back