Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow those are massive or is it just me. i always thought that tree snakes were like the same size as a childreni with smaller heads and much thinner bodies. correct me if im way off there.

thanks hooglabah

UMMMMM yer there is because that is what they are called just like a CTS to a GTS where a yellow belly black snake is not a name, It's just a name to described a snake that people think are poison's (witch it wrong as they end up loosing there head)

Night Tigers are sold and recorded as a Night Tiger so yes there is such thing as one

Lewy

A name doesn't become anymore valid when sold and recorded under it Lewy.
Would you accept the use of such a common name if i sold D. punctulatus
under it? ..

No, a Yellow Bellie Black snake, isn't just a name used to describe a snake
thought to be venomous, its a descriptive common name use for snakes
fitting the description... I can make up any common name i like when selling
and animal.
Both names are just as bad, YBB Snake suggests some type of relationship
to Black snakes... and Night Tiger suggests some relationship to Tiger snakes
to non-snake savvy people.

wow those are massive or is it just me. i always thought that tree snakes were like the same size as a childreni with smaller heads and much thinner bodies. correct me if im way off there.

thanks hooglabah

Darwin phase ones get pretty big, i've caught them over 5 foot and that was with parts of their tails missing.

[AKA
Green tree snaks
Yellow belly black snake
etc.

This is not correct as the common tree snake or green tree snake is not known as a yellow belly black snake this is just the name people who have no idea about snakes call them

So there is no such thing as a yellow belly black snake

Lewy

A common name is whatever a snake is called. There are heaps of reptiles with stupid common names. Considering they usually have a black or dark top and a yellow belly, it makes as much sense as calling a mulga snake a king brown.

A name doesn't become anymore valid when sold and recorded under it Lewy.
Would you accept the use of such a common name if i sold D. punctulatus
under it? ..

No, a Yellow Bellie Black snake, isn't just a name used to describe a snake
thought to be venomous, its a descriptive common name use for snakes
fitting the description... I can make up any common name i like when selling
and animal.
Both names are just as bad, YBB Snake suggests some type of relationship
to Black snakes... and Night Tiger suggests some relationship to Tiger snakes
to non-snake savvy people.

Ok cool point taken I stand corrected:)

A common name is whatever a snake is called. Their are heaps of reptiles with stupid common names. Considering they usually have a black or dark top and a yellow belly, it makes as much sense as calling a mulga snake a king brown.

LOL yer i have to agree there is some bloody stupid common names

Lewy

In cairns every one without snake knowledge calls every snake hey see a night tiger or a taipan lol.

watch you dont cop a bite.. can be quite nasty... just keep in mind yes they are venomous.. you never know how your body will react to the venom.. could be tingling and a headache... then again you could go in to anafalactic shock and well i hope your close to a hospital. but beautiful animals.. i wouldnt mind getting one.. i think they are gorgeous..

another fact is that they have to chew on you a bit to be able to get their fangs into ya as they are rear fanged (colubrids)
(but im guessing almost all of u kno tht:D)

um actually they dont have to chew on you if they get a good bite.. say a finger or side of hand.. the bite my friend had was definately not a chew.. but it was enough to become envenomated. but most of the time it has to be more of a chew type bite.. not always though..

Night tiger form brown trees are also found in some areas in north queensland.

Taken at Undara - FNQ - no where NEAR NT at all... hmmmm location location location I think....

n824030494_2433060_5840.jpg

n824030494_2433061_6119.jpg

another fact is that they have to chew on you a bit to be able to get their fangs into ya as they are rear fanged (colubrids)
(but im guessing almost all of u kno tht:D)

that has already been said in here by myself and waruikazi, but in a more indepth discription but thanx for stating that you know what your talking about. :lol:

I have seen people bitten by these snakes and yes they only suffered tingling at the bite site and a splitting headache.. how ever never underestimate a venomous snake regardless how "harmless" they are percieved.. I would say that a bee is "harmless" yet people still die from a sting. All i am saying is every ones body and metabolism is different and will all have different effects from a bite hell some people get blisters and infection from a python bite as they are allergic to the saliva..so just dont take them as oh they are venomous but not to humans as this isnt exactly true.. if there is tingling then your effected.. it might not kill you but it is doing something. I dont know about the other states but here in SA you can get one on your basic permit which again gives the impression they are totally harmless but then i heard of some one who died after a little whip snake bite, mind you he had been bitten by these a few times in the past.. but that one got him and he thought oh well lucky they are harmless then he was dead.. maybe not so harmless....

Great bit of sensible advice. thanks.

I had the great pleasure today of seeing some in real lfe. WOW, what a magnificant animal....

Thank you all for responding to my question. I am sorry I started a bit of a arguement though!! Finally I now (THINK) understand... Which I find very sad now, as I watched a man once attack a bunch of bananas with a Cane Knife, because a 'Night Tiger' are highly venomous (Yeah, he was a TOOL!!!).

I saw one recently that SOME hero had killed, either by having poison out & it ate a poisoned animal (unlikely) or it was run over... By the time I convinced the ladies who worked near-by by counting it's scales and opening it's mouth (it WAS dead) with a piece of plastic to show them it had no famgs I was very sad. That snake was WELL over 7 feet long. I

t is pathetic that people see a snake and want to kill them. They are falsey described, and people are ignorant.... IN saying that- I will protect ANY Python or Tree Snake (Night Tiger) that I can. But guys I do work in the rural industry- I am not a fan of ven's.

Black Snakes (Pseudechis spp.)

The Australian Venom Research Unit (AVRU)

This page is about the true black snakes, in the genus Pseudechis. To find information on the taipan species known in some areas as the "yellow-bellied black snake"

There has actually been talk of listing night tigers under a different scientific name, but dont think it is happening as yet. From what I understand, there is much debate on the topic.

Its quite timely, this discussiion on the toxicity of night tigers.. Yesterday, our vets missus was bitten by one of our night tigers, and spent the night in hospital!!!
She bled alot for the size of the bite, and anticoagulant was found at the bite site. She suffered some tightness in the chest, although this was prob a result of panic, rather than envenomation. lol.

My partner and I have been bitten too many times to remember, but have never suffered any ill effects.
Having said that, there has been a death attributed to a Brown Tree Snake. (a result of anaphylactic shock)

I would put some pics of our N Tigers up, but most are unnamed on a flashdrive atm..
If anyone is interested, there are plenty of pics in our Night Tiger album on our profile page.

We have both Darwin and Katherine locales.. Still waiting on the Kimberlys..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back