Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLACkra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i have been banned from having a snake as a pet, by my parents :x . their reasons are:

I am 16 and its not like i can take a snake into dorms at a uni or with me to my future education. (i want to work at a zoo/aquarium and be a zookeeper or maintain some big A$$ fish tanks at an aquarium(preferably salt!) or at a zoo look after wombats/birds/birds of prey/other aussie animals. need to really check what level of education i would need to do that. anyway that means no snakes.

I don't think my mom wants anything that eats mice/rats/rabbits. Insects is ok she didn't have a problem with sarah and her food. so i can have lizards cept small monitors.

its really annoying...

andrew

Wait until you've finished uni, or working part-time and not living on-campus. Then get one.

Until then, enjoy the lizards.

And if you want to work as a zookeeper, I hope you realise that it's not the glamorous life people think it is - you spend all day shovelling ****, a lot of the animals you look after are either terrified of you or want to kill you, and you spend more time dealing with the public than you would like. Sometimes, more time with the public than the animals. And the public can be REALLY annoying at times.

Where are you located?

:p

Hix

Leave home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naw just kiddin. Dont panic you have your whole life ahead of you. Get an education.! I wish I had,(instead of goin surfing, not,) these days it pays to be qualified not a surf bum.
Rob

Just get one, then tell your parents that you are legally bound to keep it for six months and that it is a protected animal so they cant harm it. Then after six months they should see that snakes are not the evil crazy animal that they are made out to be.
..............................................or they may kill you because you should listen to your parents. :lol:

Tuff luck kiddo, you will get one, one day :roll: :wink:

Then after six months they should see that snakes are not the evil crazy animal that they are made out to be.

Actually, I think his main problem is that mum doesn't want rodents in the house, or in the freezer.

:p

Hix

And if you want to work as a zookeeper, I hope you realise that it's not the glamorous life people think it is - you spend all day shovelling poo, a lot of the animals you look after are either terrified of you or want to kill you, and you spend more time dealing with the public than you would like. Sometimes, more time with the public than the animals. And the public can be REALLY annoying at times.

sounds like normal animal maintenance. I also volunteered at the vancouver aquarium on weekends for a couple months before heading off to aus. i delt with the public and took out props on a cart with my friend and educated, we even made our very own little sales pitches. eg why to buy coffee/tea grown this way instead of that way(one: the area is clear cut and coffee grown. two shrubbery slightly removed coffee grown.) i don't mind dealing with the puplic. annoying to have to continously ask people NOT to touch the tortoises. porr things only had a 1.5ft wood fence between them and the puplic and some people thought it was fun to touch them on top of there head ect.

Where are you located?

i am located in eltham, victoria. 45min from the cbd.

Just get one, then tell your parents that you are legally bound to keep it for six months and that it is a protected animla so they cant harm it. Then after six months they should see that snakes are not the evil crazy animal that they are made out to be.
..............................................or they may kill you because you should listen to your parents.

i doupt they wouldn't notice me setting up a snake tank, though i could claim it was a lizard setup...that and i doupt my parents would even let me buy the snake. probably have to do it secretly get the seller to drop it off and buy food before hand. though i think its for the best atm i still need to do more reading about what species is for me, feeding schendules(what to feed, how much, how often) exact encloser setup. i actually got an idea for a diy retpile encloser. some old book shelfs type things at work. bet i could buy them off my boss. flip em on their side add a glass front and a a water proof easy to clean bottom(add uv lighting/heat lamp) or put it on its back add the buttom and add a wire top and have a heat lamp suspended above it.

will look into lizard though. would like to get either shinglebacks, blueys or geckos. geckos more, looking at nob/thick tails(u. milli?), since i already have the mesh top for a 2ft tank and read a nice care sheet on the VHS site.

andrew

Get them fresh on feed day, then whack them on a brick in front of her
I bet she will let you keep frozen then

or royally piss her off! that and i personlly wouldn't have it in me to smash a mouse/rat against a rock. not very good at killing animals unless it's pretty much painless. she let me have hamsters when i was little in canada i doupt she would care about a mouse/rat as a pet. i think its mainly the thought that if i go to uni she might end up as the primary carer. i have told her that if that happens i will have to regretfully sell the snake or lend it to some one willing to look after me snake(i would pay for the feeding + a bit extra to cover electricity costs of providing heating/uv/uvb)

andrew

Don't worry dude. You are not the only member of this site who has had trouble getting a snake. (sorry Moosey - couldn't resist) ;) :)

You may just have to wait a bit. :)

its not like i can take a snake into dorms at a uni

Not True! Two of my friends lived in university accomodation and both kept reptiles. One guy lived in a dorm and modified his wardrobe, removing clothes for a python section and heating the draws for the keeping of geckos. Cunning eh? My other friend kept a snake in a cage hidden in the old fire recess in his room, he just strung a curtain in front of the cage before he went out. Thinking about it now, it's proably a fluke they were'nt caught..... All in good fun though
-Henry

When reading these posts I feel very lucky hehe. I got my way eventually, nagging worked on my parents! Now I have 2 snakes, a lizard and more coming hehe.

I was lucky, my parents encoraged it. My dad built me a big turtle enclosure when i was 6 using an old chicken coop.
Since then right through my teenage years they always let me keep everything i brought home ( was no licenses back then) they did draw the line at vens so i just told them " theres legless lizards in the one :)

I hear you Andrew...My wife has said no snakes...

so... Thinking of swaping my wife for a diamond...I'll even through in a pair of male sub-adults (5 & 6yrs)- good eaters and handlers (wife not handled much...OK once out of cage, should come could with a bit of TLC...)

They might come around in time - at least we are both able to have lizards...

its actually my mom who has mad the decision. not my dad who says its up to my mom. i am going to do a good ol sales pitch. though i am not certain i will get a snake i like having options, and something to spend my mini fortune of $800 on. will work her onto the idea that keeping a childrens python is ok. they seem like a good choice for begginers.

andrew

slackra what about a snake that eats fish keel back, file snake, macleays water snake try that

what about a snake that eats fish keel back, file snake, macleays water snake try that

i am pretty sure its not the idea of having frozen mice around the house. the only reason i have really been given is the whole she will be left to care for it. we will have a "chat" about it soon. tell you all how it goes.

also longtom got any good links to care sheets on file snakes, they look cool and i am always willing to learn!

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back