Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok we had a small chat(really small) she has some questions, involving childrens pythons(if i get one i want a hatchy):

"How long do they live?"
"How long can they go without food?"(my guess is when we go on vacation. if you do who do you have look after your snakes?)
"How much care do they require?"(cleaning of encloseure, feeding, regular handling to keep them sociable, trips to the herp shop)
"What health issues do they have"(not to many if kept properly with right temp and heating right?)
"what are the costs involved with having one?"(enclosure, heating, providing uv/uvb, substrate(kitty litter w/ news paper(that ok right?))
"the cost involved with feeding"(i guess that means how much per week will it cost to buy mice of appropriate size, i have no idea)
"what dose it eat" ( i replied thawed mice and she looked somewhat digusted, worried about what she will think of feeding it pinkys and furrys)

note that this is not a definate, i may/may not get a childrens python. i really just like having options. thank you all for your help!

andrew

edited:

longtom i quickly looked at that and file snakes get HUGE!

They live a long time :p Snakes can go for months without food, but this isnt preferable :) Umm I don't think they take much care, general cleaning :)
I think it depends on the snake whether it will be handleable, you get nasty ones no matter how much you handle them and you get nice ones that will never bite even if you don't handle them much :)
As long as snakes are kept in proper conditions they shouldn't have any health problems.
Cost involved with feeding isn't that much because they don't eat that much :) It'd be less than feeding a lizard!
Keep presenting points to your mother why a snake would be a better pet than a lizard. I think they are definately less work than a lizard :) Goodluck!

i told her all that and she seems less negitive about the idea. gotta look into how big they get still. one thing she has concerns about is that if it gets loose she might kill it thinkin its a venomous snake, even though we have never seen a venomous snake on our property. i personally haven't seen a wild venomous snake ever in melbourne only ever saw a red bellied black snake up in lismore area. though acording to my horticulture teacher who lives near by she had a tiger snake give birth around her grey water system!

andrew

one thing she has concerns about is that if it gets loose she might kill it thinkin its a venomous snake,

Won't she realise that it's your snake? Persoanlly i don't think it's a mahor issue.

Keep nagging and bringing up the subject. Leave reptile books lieing around, she will crack sooner or later.

Cheers Alex

i actually think i have bent her to my will. if i want a snake i can get a snake! but i have to pay for EVERYTHING! inluding any possible(hopfully not gonna happen) vet bills :cry: .

still thinking about whether i will have the time though. getting our puppy in 6 weeks(went to see them today changed my mind about which one i think we should get), oliver our current dog, my little saltwater(proabably going to sell the clown to make maintenance hardly exist and no annoying algae growth) and my freshwater(only weekly water change and feeding with that one :D ). that and the only pet i ever now and then think of selling my 2 birds who used to be lots of fun to have. i collapsed under uncle pressure and got em a nest box and the female has been a complete B*censored* ever since. now and then shes friendly but that only if i have a seringe full of cold water aimed at her head. if she dose bite me she gets the full package. shes usually a complete angel after a squirt(i only squirt her if she bites). they say to not react when they bite but it f*censored* hurts! she now and then makes me bleed.

thank you all for your help, very glad i became a member of this forum,

andrew

Andrew, bring her over to my place and let her handle my adult Childreni so she can see for herself how big they get and how docile they are :) You're welcome to mate :)

Don't imagine you are the only one who has to convince the woman in your life why snakes need to keep appearing in ones then twos....
Tell her.
They don't make a noise
They require little maintenance
No grooming
No walking
No filter changes
No need to play with them (some would disagree)
You only need to keep one (at first shhh!)
You only need to feed it once a fortnight, buy frozen from someone else then feed it when your darling mother is doing something else like "days of our lives"
You don't have to pick up snake droppings before you mow the lawn to stay in the good books.
You will even dust the enclosure so it is out of Mum's mind

Never mention how much your setup cost. Get a casual job immediately and let it all magically appear.

SLACKra, I would take africancichlidau's advice and pay him a visit with your mother. He has certainly helped me along the way with my reptile keeping and is a top bloke too ;) :)

Good luck and I hope all goes well. :)

already got a $810 budge atm mate :D . got a casual job. i work every saturday from 9-12 at research stockfeeds at $7 an hour. so every month i earn $134 unless i miss a day at work due to school work/sick ect. that pays for my mini salty, my freshy and my birds(actually it dosen't my mom tends to pay for the killer buzzards)

Never mention how much your setup cost.

i could and she wouldn't care. considering i was thinking of setting up a larger saltwater, $490 custom tank/hood/stand, $218.50 for the lighting ect :wink: . probably going to diy the enclosure.

thinking old small bookshelf or what ever, turned onto its side. add a easy to clean bottom and siding. considering the cost of maybe a couple acrilic pannels. make them a sliding front door. cept you have to pull it up to get access.

one of my problems i start thinking and researching an animal but i may never get one :roll: . eventualy i get somthing though! childrens python would be a good starter.

also anybody know the chacces that if i buy a hatchy childrens that it will end up being snappy if i handle it when its young? also been thinking of how to feed it. wondering whats best to remove the snake from the cage to feed to lower the risk of having it biting me or getting snappy when i open the door to the cage.

once again thanks for all the advice! my mom is definatly won over as long as she has to do nothing in the area of looking after it! YEY :D

Andrew, bring her over to my place and let her handle my adult Childreni so she can see for herself how big they get and how docile they are You're welcome to mate

hmmm, even though she has said yes to the possibility of getting a snake that is still mighty tempting...

also anybody know the chacces that if i buy a hatchy childrens that it will end up being snappy if i handle it when its young?

I've got a few hatchies left here at the moment and they are pretty docile already. Their parents are just big pussycats :)

hmmm, even though she has said yes to the possibility of getting a snake that is still mighty tempting...

You are more than welcome to do so mate :)

I've got a few hatchies left here at the moment and they are pretty docile already. Their parents are just big pussycats

I have purchased one of these Hatchies last December and I can tell you that it is my most placid snake (of the 3 I own ;) )

It has never bitten, struck or refused a feed. It is what I would call 'The perfect snake.' You should check one of them out SLACKra. You will not be disappointed and it is the IDEAL beginners snake IMO :)

I've got a few hatchies left here at the moment and they are pretty docile already. Their parents are just big pussycats

ah i see your game :wink: , trying to sell me a snake eh? wont be able to get a snake for a couple of months! exams this week then new puppy come home in 6 weeks. i need to build/find the parts for a sutiable enclosure. how cheap is linolium?(bad spelling)

cheers

andrew

at research stockfeeds at $7 an hour

$7 an hour? Is it legal to employ people for so little? Wow! I should get some staff.

By the way, I went to high school just up the road from your work and used to buy my GR2's from there :)

Good luck on your quest to obtain a snake :)

Andrew mate, that was the furthest thing from my mind. My offer was made in good faith to help out a budding new herper, (which happens to be high on my list of important things to do), sorry if I came across as a pressure salesman! The offer still stands but the Childreni are not for sale.

i was just joking around mate. it didnt seem sales pitchy.

$7 an hour? Is it legal to employ people for so little? Wow! I should get some staff.

i believe so...anybody know where i can check this? i am 16 though!

By the way, I went to high school just up the road from your work and used to buy my GR2's from there

you went to eltham college? i am going there! been going there since i moved to aus.

The offer still stands but the Childreni are not for sale.

thanks for the offer but sadly not atm, to many things happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back