Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had the 4k to burn... I'd love to get out there with him. I certainly would learn more bout reptiles than I would criticising people on APS keyboard herping.
I would love go, I think I might need toput some money aside. Even if you didn't capture a Oenpelli it would be a fantastic herping trip, with an expert.

It always astounds me how so many inexperienced people think they have a better way of doing things. As with the RSP, the first step - the obtaining of permits - is a huge undertaking, with massive amounts of time devoted to developing strategies which are palatable to bureaucrats and other stakeholders - and with no guarantee of any return until the yes comes through. Clearly, the Oenpelli is even harder to locate than Roughies were, and the investment in time will be that much greater, still without any guarantee of success EVER, let alone in the short term. And then you have all the husbandry issues to work out - these pythons haven't been known for their quick adaptability into captivity.

If it does come to fruition - and who wouldn't wish Gavin all the success he deserves - it will because he will have lived and breathed this project 24/7 for years. Wrightpython, I venture to say you are very young and very idealistic... Gavin, on the other hand, has experience and wisdom way beyond yours, and is also doing this because he has passion. Unlike you however, he realises that he can't live on air alone.

I can only wish Gavin all the luck in the world, it looks like a carefully developed strategy.

Jamie.

What do you call young. Im not young i just have enough money from my two business's i dont need to get paid for snakes. and i do beleive i said gavin was more experienced. He is also doing this as a business venture however i would not. Lets call a spade a spade, if he manages to find pythons then manages to breed them he does stand to make a profit. This is a business and like most business it has risk and obviously rewards for Gavin outway risk. Good on him for doing what he feels is right hope he succeeds and his business flourishes. Oenpellies are easier to find than roughies were because he knows where to look and there has been recentsightings one of which is on here last week. If only Gavin could have got that blokes number he could have saved some money for his future customers.

Kenny may as well say who has them, as his already said he bought a legit snake off the bloke thats already enough info for him to get done. Now all they have to do is look into everyone he has bought snakes off..

Kenny may as well say who has them, as his already said he bought a legit snake off the bloke thats already enough info for him to get done. Now all they have to do is look into everyone he has bought snakes off..

Assuming he wasn't telling porkies that is.

What do you call young. Im not young i just have enough money from my two business's i dont need to get paid for snakes. and i do beleive i said gavin was more experienced. He is also doing this as a business venture however i would not. Lets call a spade a spade, if he manages to find pythons then manages to breed them he does stand to make a profit. This is a business and like most business it has risk and obviously rewards for Gavin outway risk. Good on him for doing what he feels is right hope he succeeds and his business flourishes. Oenpellies are easier to find than roughies were because he knows where to look and there has been recentsightings one of which is on here last week. If only Gavin could have got that blokes number he could have saved some money for his future customers.

You are very full of words (and yourself it seems Wrightpython). You are quite wrong about the ease of finding Oenpellis compared to finding RSPs ( I know a lot more about this than you do) ... any other gems of wisdom for us here? How lucky you are that your two successful businesses allow you to consider philanthropy as a part of your herpetological adventure - perhaps we may all benefit from your generosity in the future...

Please keep your response civil :)...

Jamie

Oenpellies are easier to find than roughies were because he knows where to look and there has been recentsightings one of which is on here last week.
Could the fine gentleman please name the "recentsightings one of which is on here last week"?

Joy i think it is best for the hobby, conservation and all the people involved that the arm chair experts stay in their arm chairs playing with their medi-evil weapons.

At the end of the day the haters will hate, it all comes from the green eyed monster known as jealousy and there's not alot that can be done about it.

I'm really quite upset with some of the comments that I've seen on this post ...... obviously some of you have no idea of Dr Gavin Bedford's credentials or what an almighty effort his journey has been to bring the Oenpelli Pythons into captivity. He has worked tirelessly for the last 10 years to finally be able to bring this about. There would only be a very small handful of people who could have achieved this and Gavin has finally succeeded.

I'll post the last couple of paragraphs from his article in the January issue of Scales & Tails Australia which might help to shed some light on his incredible, and painstaking journey to bring this to fruition.

Quote from Gavin's article 'In search of Silver Ghosts' in the January Issue of Scales & Tails Australia:
I have done many things in my life chasing reptiles but can honestly say this is without doubt the highlight. This experience is so remote the only thing I can liken it to is being in the Antarctic. We are dropped in by helicopter and that is the ONLY way in and out. This is Aboriginal country, so you can’t even be there without a permit and a guide. And this is perhaps the one and only time that permits will be issued for this animal, the mighty Oenpelli Python, so once they are in captivity there will be no reason to go looking for them. I am therefore searching for anyone who thinks, like me, that this is an awesome once in a lifetime experience to come with me and hunt the “silver ghosts”. Many things in life we forget with time, but I can guarantee you will remember this experience for as long as you live. If you are interested please email me on [email protected] and I will let you know when we plan to go and all the costs involved. Or speak with Kakadu Culture Camp or check out www.albinopython.com.au
Over the next few years I aim to bring this magnificent animal into captivity with the blessing of the Traditional Owners, the Northern Land Council and Parks and Wildlife NT, to breed in a cooperative with the Traditional Owners. This project has taken me 10 years and cost me more hair than I care to think about to get to this stage, and I really need YOU to be part of this slice of Australian herpetological history to see it become reality.
Cheers and hope to see you there!

Hopefully some of you making comments on a subject that you know nothing about will think twice before becoming 'armchair experts' again.
Cheers
Joy
P.S. On a personal note: Gavin thank you for your efforts. They are very much appreciated. What an exciting time this is.

Last edited:
What i don't get is that, over the last couple of years, whenever a thread on this snake turned up there would be dozens of members chomping at the bit saying we should do whatever we can to get them into captivity.

Now we can and everyday people (who have the money of course) can contribute to this project. Either by pre-ordering the animals or by going out and finding them. But lo and behold out come the haters! Either somone is trying to get rich or stripes on their shoulder or is corrupt...

No one has a medi evil weapon pointed at you telling you have to hand over all your money. If it's not for you then don't do it. Pretty simple.

Ok, I'll opt out now..I'm allergic to infractions.

Last edited:
PL do you have any idea what the costs are involved in a project like this? And have you looked into the terms and conditions of pre-purchasing a pair?

There is no doubt in my mind that Gavin will at very best break even, but if he did manage to make million what would be wrong with that? There are professional breeders out there, seeling reptiles is there main source of income. Why is that a problem?

And what is this albino mac gun jumping car crash?

It's not about 'hating'- nobody has questioned the passion that the doc has, or his contribution to the hobby. I think everyone with any history in the scene acknowledges the debt of gratitude we owe to Gavin. But- there are so many unknowns with the animal, such a troubling history to other specimens that have been taken into captivity, and the way they're being 'rolled out' into the public..to me it's the snake ranch albino mac gun-jumping car crash waiting to happen again.

Any 'newb' who admits to selling animals to make money would be mercilessly flamed, but because it's Dr.Gavin Bedford, that's completely different and we're supposed to sit down, shut up and applaud?

I don't think he's in it for the money...

The 15k gets you the oenpelli but more importantly...

It funds the search. and establishment in captivity

Now when they do get found, it may take awhile before they get established in captivity, which could mean years of his time and money.

Look at it this way if he does'nt get the funds to find the specimen then it won't get into captivity. If he doesn't get the funds but instead uses his own $$$, finds them, establishes them after a few years.... they would still be 15k to re-coup his cost. Unfortunately he by the looks of it needs the funds now to fund the search, no funds = no search, no search = no oenpelli. Simple mathematics...

15K is a lot of money.. so you can pretty well be sure the people who will "invest" want this animal in captivity and it won't be a newb chump out to make a quick buck. There's better things to invest 15K in to get a quicker more secure return...

Last edited:
gavin makes a real go of this then good for him. if he can sell them for that price, again good for him. but looking at it as a buisness stand point it is extremely high risk for someone to spend 15k on a pair of animals that A. nobody has, B. you have no idea when people will have the animals in hand and C. you have no idea how they will respond/breed in captivity. it can be many many years till you get a return on your 15k and anything can happen in that time such as a fatal accident or even licensing issues that may mean you can't keep that animal in your state. i am not saying that gavin will take everyone's money and run, but it is too high risk to spend the 15k. the 4k search is a much better option in my mind.

and since someone wants to drag me into an argument with him, again, it is spelt medieval mate!

Why is return a big factor.
because technically gavin is selling or having a presale of these animals at 15k, so yes a return for a sale is expected. i understand he needs to help fund his search but if he had asked for a 15k donation then returns wouldn't be as big an issue. he could then sort something out with those people down the road when things have been established. how many of these people purchasing these animals for 15k would be doing it if they couldn't get a pair down the road? if someone is in it for conservation purposes then why aren't they refusing the pair and just donating the 15k? why snakes? why not some endangered frog or lizard? these snakes are rare but there is no proof they are endangered and yes cane toads may become an issue but so far they have hurt numbers of snakes elsewhere but they haven't decimated an entire population of a snake species yet.

I just cannot work out why people are stressing over what others are putting their own money into. I am pretty sure all who are know that it is a risk and will be many years off ever getting a return let alone getting their animals but yet they are willing ... To me that shows that they are no in it to make big dollars . They could go buy many other adult pairs for 15k for a quick return. Hell I invested way more into a nicotine habit for no return and double that into my bowhunting habit for a wall of trophies, which my wife thinks is a really bad return. Where were all you people worrying about my bad investments.
Gavin Through in some pigs and a buff and for 4 k I will find you dozens of bowhunters that will look for snakes as well as hunt for that price

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back