Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because technically gavin is selling or having a presale of these animals at 15k, so yes a return for a sale is expected. i understand he needs to help fund his search but if he had asked for a 15k donation then returns wouldn't be as big an issue. he could then sort something out with those people down the road when things have been established. how many of these people purchasing these animals for 15k would be doing it if they couldn't get a pair down the road? if someone is in it for conservation purposes then why aren't they refusing the pair and just donating the 15k? why snakes? why not some endangered frog or lizard? these snakes are rare but there is no proof they are endangered and yes cane toads may become an issue but so far they have hurt numbers of snakes elsewhere but they haven't decimated an entire population of a snake species yet.

Now you're not only questioning the motives of Gavin but also questioning the motives of prospective buyers.

As for questioning why this species and not another. That is stupid defetist attitude, we will always find another species that could use a helping hand, that does not mean that this species isn't deserving of being insured in by captive populations. That is not a good reason for doing nothing. You are also forgetting the rest of the information that will be collected on the West Arnhem stone country's biodiversity.

And they are listed as vulnerable, what is the point in waiting until they are endangered or worse? I can give you a reference for that info if you like.

Last edited:
I commend Gavin for doing this. In this country far to many of our native species are becoming extinct. Far better for a few individuals to be brought into captivity to create a buffer against that extinction.
Look at the Woma as a prime example.
It's still listed as an endangered species and yet it breeds readily and adapts well to the point they are very common within the herp. hobby.
We need pioneers who can workout the husbandry of these animals so that the hobbist can keep these animals in the future with a degree of proficiency.
These things, like anything else require funds.
It's a pity our forefathers didn't have such a future centered attitude.
Imagine how many now extinct species would now be alive if they did.
How may of you would dip your hand in your pocket and give a donation if the Thylacine was found in limited numbers and were going to be brought into captivity to be bred?
This, IMHO, is exactly the same thing.

I don't really know very much about this project apart from small articles & a few threads on here.

I've never in my life found people so rude and ignorant. I openly admit I'm not clued into this subject but neither are most of you!
This man is trying to do something for the whole community. His passion drives him to do it, pretty sure he would try whether or not he has our assistance or money(as evidently shown over the years) but do you really see a 1-man-army get very far? He needs help, and that comes with financial aid and support in other areas. If you don't want to give this support then so be it, but don't criticize what he's doing just because you have your head so deep in the sand thinking it's all about the money.

Call it conservation, call it aiding a vulnerable species, call it getting new specimens for our Keepers List or even call it a Money Grab
It doesn't matter. At the end of the day he's not out to make huge dollars off of this project, as stated he has spent a lot of his own time and money in order to get as far as he has already. I can't stress enough if you don't have the money or have nothing positive to contribute then shut up.

I for one would love to see this animal re-populated, whether it's in captivity or not.
As reptile & animal lovers you should see this for what it is.

And you know what? WHO CARES IF HE MAKES BIG BUCKS?!? He deserves every single penny he makes. He's helping a vulnerable animal and you're bitching about it.
You disgust me.

Last edited:
If punters do look at it as an investment then those who jump in first will have the best chance of return. I paid the highest price I have heard of for a pair of Albino Olives, five years ago, when there wern't many around and got my money back many times over because I got in early. I'll be happy to do it again with Oenpellis or alternatively donate to the cause, Time will tell.

It's not from last week but this was recently brought up again and it was only from August: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/field-herping-reptile-studies-5373/oenpelli-python-169000/

Obviously you are a lot smarter than me pythoninfinate because no sightings of oenpellies ever however everyday we all stumble across rsp's in the wild Learn what you preach.

You are very full of words (and yourself it seems Wrightpython). You are quite wrong about the ease of finding Oenpellis compared to finding RSPs ( I know a lot more about this than you do) ... any other gems of wisdom for us here? How lucky you are that your two successful businesses allow you to consider philanthropy as a part of your herpetological adventure - perhaps we may all benefit from your generosity in the future...

Please keep your response civil :)...

Jamie

How do you know that i have not already helped the herping world with my generosity. Not everybody has to shout from the roof tops every good deed they do otherwise its not a good deed, i may not have found lost species but i have helped many people realise there dream of owning reptiles before and after the licencing system came to be. I have some Diamonds and childreni hatching soon hopefully and ones yours if you want it. FREE unless you dont like being given something in which case donate $150.00 to wires and you can have pick of litter. By for now got polo ponies to feed.

Last edited:
People just trying to cut down a " tall poppy"....seriously if Gavin makes some money from them it will pale in comparison to the amount of time invested.... Too many think about a cheque with a few zeros on the end and don't comprehend the amount of time and effort it takes to get to the end point....

Its a shame good luck and good herping

Cheers
scott

Obviously you are a lot smarter than me pythoninfinate because no sightings of oenpellies ever however everyday we all stumble across rsp's in the wild Learn what you preach.

How do you know that i have not already helped the herping world with my generosity. Not everybody has to shout from the roof tops every good deed they do otherwise its not a good deed, i may not have found lost species but i have helped many people realise there dream of owning reptiles before and after the licencing system came to be. I have some Diamonds and childreni hatching soon hopefully and ones yours if you want it. FREE unless you dont like being given something in which case donate $150.00 to wires and you can have pick of litter. By for now got polo ponies to feed.

Ha... that's actually PYTHONINFINITE... Anyway matey, I have been quite involved with the Rough-scaled Python thing since the late 1970s, whern the first one was collected in the Kimberley by my good friend Ron Johnson, when we both worked for the Western Australian Museum, from which I parted ways in 2000. I'm a West Australian who has a long involvement with herpetological field collection - I worked for the museum from 1968 to 2000. I was also friends with Graeme Gow, and am very familiar with the early Oenpelli story (Graeme actually described the animal as a new species...), so I also know quite a bit about the history of the OP as well - maybe even more directly than you do :)!

Thanks for offer of a Diamond or a Children's, but I'll have to take a raincheck - I'm reducing my collection significantly atm, and I'll just stick to GTPs, Roughies (which were a gift to me from John Weigel) and a couple of Scrubbies from now on.

Cheers, Jamie

Thanks for offer of a Diamond or a Children's, but I'll have to take a raincheck - I'm reducing my collection significantly atm, and I'll just stick to GTPs, Roughies (which were a gift to me from John Weigel) and a couple of Scrubbies from now on.

Cheers, Jamie
Dont forget your pair of Oenpellis when they are ready.

Wrightpython;2122609e. I have some Diamonds and childreni hatching soon hopefully and ones yours if you want it. FREE unless you dont like being given something in which case donate $150.00 to wires and you can have pick of litter. By for now got polo ponies to feed.[/QUOTE said:
ill have some free snakes hell ill even take both the clutches off your hands

LOL, makes me laugh when people name drop on a public forum to make themselves feel special. Says a lot about the person behind the keyboard.

I wonder why it is the people who have really made a mark in Australian Herpetology don't feel the need to get on public forums and get into pointless arguments...

I don't get this thread... Everyone is going up and arms about the OPs when they wont be any available to the public for few more years.
But if someone is well connected and have the chance to obtain one legally after a lot of invested time and money, then good for them, I think Gavin has a great opportunity to establish a captive population and I'm sure serious enthusiasts and investors will see the value of his project. I don't think Gavin was thinking of the "Master-Key Ninjas" when decided on a price for the OP.

All this jealousy is making the hobby sour. Where are all the jolly people gone?

If I had money to spare I'd happily pay out 4k for a couple of days in that landscape - it is expensive, but some people don't know what they are missing out on. I fully support Gavin's mission on a moral basis, pity I don't have the disposable income to do it finacially as well :lol:

As said earlier lets call a spade a spade. Money will be made. Paying the dosh and helping to fund the search is just like investing in a business and hoping for a return (some gorgeous OPs in this case).

You know what though? I don't care. People make money everyday doing whatever job they do, running whatever business they do. 90% of those ventures don't have the positive side effects for others hobbies and for conservation that this will have. I am glad Gavin is doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back