Opinions on dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Training

I was given a mastiff from someone I met through site. I had him trained at the Guard Dog Training Centre out at Llandilo. It cost approx $500 and a great investment. No one is allowed into the yard unless they know him.
When I get home from whereever, he tries to fit into my pocket.

Yeah, I can't imagine I'd be to afraid of a golden.

Hobbo, did you breed that yourself? It looks like it's way under 8 weeks which is the accepted age for removing a puppy from its mother.

she was bought as 8 weeks old but once we got her home we realised that she must of been younger but she is eating and drinking very well :) we were told she was also the runt of the litter

Goldens have no guts , Rotties are just plain trouble , Shepards have problems and are nice but can bark , pure bred dogs in my books are crap. Way to many problems. You want loyalty , gaurd , not to much hair , handle the heat , good size 40 kg , looks impressive , smart , great with kids , and Catz :rolleyes: and not eat to much or bark ! The answer is a Bull Arab. You will never look back. MO Matt

Matty,

You don't understand the basics in genetics.

Do not make claims about purebred dogs when you clearly do not understand them.

All ethical breeders carry out genetic testing to ensure they are breeding from stock with no issues. Cross breeders do not. Ethical breeders usually have some kind of study in animal physiology and genetics. MDBA breeders pledge to an incredibly high level of ethics.

God I hate people spewing this ill informed gobblygook. There is simply no basis for it. Hybrid Vigour in dogs is a myth. Unless you can substantiate your views with scientific reasoning then you really shouldn't be advising people on dogs.

BTW, you do realise the bull arab club of Australia is striving for recognition aka to become a purebred dog... Will you suddenly throw this breed aside once they are recognised.
http://www.bullarab.com.au/index.php?page=faq-s

Jas486, your dog is not a trained protection dog. $500 is not enough to train a dog in protection, it costs into the thousands.

now that your going to get a german shepard are you going long haired, short haired or cross of these 2(longish hair with a thick undercoat)? i reckon long haired's look way better than short hair GS

Matty,
Hybrid Vigour in dogs is a myth.

But at the same time, inherited, congenital problems in purebred are a reality - hip displaysia in Shepherds and Labs, deafness in Dalmatians, behavioural issues with Cocker Spaniels, spine problems with Dachsunds etc.

I have always owned purebreds, and spent a lot of time convincing my hubby to get a purebred Lab. She cost us over $1000 (as we had our heart set on a Chocolate!), we researched registered breeders, checked out hip scores of the bloodlines going back four generations; in short, we did everything we should have in responsibly choosing a dog.

At about 12 weeks, we discovered that she has megaoesophagus, a congenital condition that is hereditary in some breed types, but apparently not Labs (three from eight puppies in her litter had the condition; two were euthanased - can't tell me there isn't some genetic problem there) We have spent thousands etting her peoperly diagnosed, unfortunately the condition is manageable but untreatable and we have to put up with periods of almost constant regurgitation. At 3, she is also showing signs of arthritis. She is the most beautiful, loving dog (see pic earlier in this thread) and is totally trustworthy with our 3yo daughter, but has been a nightmare in terms of caring for her.

In hindsight, I would definitely get a pound rescue dog, crossbreed or otherwise - even if the pound dog had a few medical problems, I would have an extra $1000 from the purchase price to spend on it!!!

Opinions on dogs , was the post. Thats my opinion ! Arabs will have gone to **** in 200 years as well. Mungrels have got to be the way to go. Ive owned over 70 dogs in 38 years and have only had one problem in regards to the animals body in that time. A little female Kelpie x i owned had a hole in here diaphram.It is a FACT that purebred / pedagree muts get problems. Not all of them just some and the good old x breed just keeps going and going. You only gotta take a trip around some of the Aboriginal missions up here to see the hardness and resilliance ? of the " mungrel " :lol: Theres nothing wrong with purebreeds , its just that the owner of the post was after ssome opinions and i gave mine. Cheers all Matt

Purebred white shepherd

Some pics from pup to now at 8 months old.

RE: What midol said about ethical breeding, never ever buy a shep from a non reputable source, you want the hip/elbow scores of both parents etc.

This girl has been fantastic, we have a cat who she is fine with, infact sometimes quite affectionate to, they play together. We also have a small foxy terrrier x who she is very gentle to, lays down to play with him at his height etc.

We sent her away for a month to get basic training (come sit drop stay etc) as we didn't have the time to do it ourselves. Before being sent away, she basically topilet trained herself, and woke us if she needed out, and instinctively knew sit.

She guards naturally, barks and runs at unknown guests, but has never bitten - ssssnakeman from this site had her charge him as he got out of his car, he said he was pretty sure she was going to bite him. So she is scary enough, and will bail people up but never bites.
To us of course, she is a big sooky snuggle bug.

Does loose a lot of hair though, i brush her daily.

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 19
  • rogue2.jpg
    rogue2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14
  • rogue.jpg
    rogue.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 15
  • rn1.jpg
    rn1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 21
  • R.jpg
    R.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 21
This is what you need.
Hate to be the person who ever tried to hurt her ;)
My wife absolutely adores her to death [ me too :oops: ]
Cheers,
Aleks.

Attachments

• IMGP0901aa.jpg
    IMGP0901aa.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 21
This is what you need.
Hate to be the person who ever tried to hurt her ;)
My wife absolutely adores her to death [ me too :oops: ]
Cheers,
Aleks.

Nah, border collies are just kelpies that haven't adjusted to the climate yet. ;)

BTW, as far as the mongrel vs. pure bred goes, I have one of each. My kelpie is pure bred from a working blood line and I have a kelpie x heeler from the RSPCA. Two very different dogs in personality, but can't fault either of them. Any dogs I get from now on will be from the RSPCA (or similar) because there are just so many great dogs there needing a home.

This is a pic of my mongrel "Che". He was the RSPCA pup. Poor little bugger was the most shy dog I have ever seen when he was a pup. He is still really shy around strangers, but once he accepts you he'll follow you anywhere.

Attachments

• DSCF5284.JPG
    DSCF5284.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Arabs havnt been around long enough for them to have aquired inherent traits and theres so many variants in them there probably never will be. And as for the ethical breeder thing. How many are out there ?? Not many in the grand scheme of things.

Wrong.

Bull Arabs have been around long enough that they can be indentified via DNA. There is a breed standard for them. Bull Arabs are over 30 years old.

But at the same time, inherited, congenital problems in purebred are a reality - hip displaysia in Shepherds and Labs, deafness in Dalmatians, behavioural issues with Cocker Spaniels, spine problems with Dachsunds etc.

I have always owned purebreds, and spent a lot of time convincing my hubby to get a purebred Lab. She cost us over $1000 (as we had our heart set on a Chocolate!), we researched registered breeders, checked out hip scores of the bloodlines going back four generations; in short, we did everything we should have in responsibly choosing a dog.

At about 12 weeks, we discovered that she has megaoesophagus, a congenital condition that is hereditary in some breed types, but apparently not Labs (three from eight puppies in her litter had the condition; two were euthanased - can't tell me there isn't some genetic problem there) We have spent thousands etting her peoperly diagnosed, unfortunately the condition is manageable but untreatable and we have to put up with periods of almost constant regurgitation. At 3, she is also showing signs of arthritis. She is the most beautiful, loving dog (see pic earlier in this thread) and is totally trustworthy with our 3yo daughter, but has been a nightmare in terms of caring for her.

In hindsight, I would definitely get a pound rescue dog, crossbreed or otherwise - even if the pound dog had a few medical problems, I would have an extra $1000 from the purchase price to spend on it!!!

Yes, purebreeds have issues and that is what genetic testing is for. Cross breeds have just as many issues, if you cross two breeds with issues you come out with issues. It really is that simple.

Opinions on dogs , was the post. Thats my opinion ! Arabs will have gone to **** in 200 years as well. Mungrels have got to be the way to go. Ive owned over 70 dogs in 38 years and have only had one problem in regards to the animals body in that time. A little female Kelpie x i owned had a hole in here diaphram.It is a FACT that purebred / pedagree muts get problems. Not all of them just some and the good old x breed just keeps going and going. You only gotta take a trip around some of the Aboriginal missions up here to see the hardness and resilliance ? of the " mungrel " :lol: Theres nothing wrong with purebreeds , its just that the owner of the post was after ssome opinions and i gave mine. Cheers all Matt

You've owned over 70 dogs in 38 years?Dogs live for 10 years minimum, that means you've had almost 20 dogs a year.

I don't want to know what you've done with them.

Your views lack scientific basis. You have nothing to back up what you say. Provide me with statistics that show purebreds have more health issues than cross breeds.

Ethical breeders perform genetic tests. Genetic problems won't exist in ethical breeders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recon, get a big dog that has a deep bark, but he's a sook:rolleyes: thats what my dog is... he's an English Matif x Lab, big boy, but a big sook:lol::rolleyes: When he stands on his back legs hes taller than 155cm!!!

heres a pic (not that good though)
jetz.jpg

hope this helps;):D

good luck with your search, and whatever you pic, will be a great dog!:D

My Bull arab X (got him when I was living in Mt Isa and he came from good pig-hunting stock) has completely stuffed hips from congenital hip dysplasia. Still a great, loyal, smart dog but not the poster boy for hybrid vigour. Wouldn't swap him for the world though.

My personal favourite is the American Bulldog - I have two and both are good at defending the yard from strangers.

Ive only disposed of 3 of these dogs i have owned. All the rest were placed in good homes . The ones that were put down were done so because of aggression towards humans. Simple really. To get scientific proof that mongrels are a more sound dog would be way to hard. Its pretty common knowledge anyway :rolleyes: But you being an expert on dogs may be able to find something. Wheres your dogs in all this Midol ?? Matt

if you didnt want a larger dog i'd say mini foxys but since you do i'd go with a doberman, huskie (as long as you shave there belly to keep them cool). Its all up to you. with the right training and maybe practices you will get a well trainded dog that might not attack the intruder. my best friend has a mini foxy and an 8 yr old tried to hit her and the dog niped her. she did the 3 times and the dog did the same thing. One time her and a friend slept in a little grassy area in a tent. the dog stayed up all night guarding the area. This was all from the right training.

I have a Boxer X Lab that is a great guard dog, licks children to death and smiles at you when he's in trouble! So unless I ever get done over by a 4 year old I should be sweet.:p

He has a great understanding of strangers and friends. He's only ever gone off at one friend, but has never missed a stranger.

Jester2.jpg

I would also recommend a Ridgeback

mmm what about a cattle dog, or kelpy are good ??? i have a west highland terrior and he is a great dog he listens to me and is loyal (loyal enough) and the best friend i could ever have :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back