PICS= Myself and some of my beautiful pythons!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack is correct.

Salmonella can occur in the gastro-intestinal tract of snakes, lizards, turtles and amphibians. [No more looking for princes, ladies]. It can also occur in the intestines of birds and mammals. In the States, reptile -borne salmonella accounts for around 5 % of salmonella infections and 95% of those are due to Green Iguanas and Red-eared Sliders. So the chance of contracting it from other reptile species is miniscule (as Jack said). You have a significantly greater chance of getting it from food that was not prepared properly – chicken, eggs, meat, fish.

Given that, if present, it is passed out with faeces, either direct or indirect contact with faecal matter and your lips could result in oral ingestion, resulting in infection. Fortunately snakes do not tend to crawl through the own wastes (as a general rule). So the risk is very minimal and can be eliminated entirely with good hygiene. You probably have more chance of coming to grief in a car.

Young children, the elderly and those that are inmunosuppressed are especially vulnerable to salmonellosis as it can result in both septicaemia and meningitis, either of which can be fatal.

Blue

Additional Note: Just to put things into perspective. Salmonella bacteria have been found to occur not infrequently in packaged meats in supermarkets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always pretended to kiss my lizards and snakes etc but never actually gone through with it and kissed them, due to those risks and well... I have to go kiss my GF soon after probably so if i told her i kissed my reptiles before I would be banned from kissing until soap wash I think ;)

How do you guys bath larger snakes? I have some adult 3.5yr jungles that probably need a bath... They are not the most friendly of fellows...

Some great looking snakes. In fact, a very nice selection of pythons. It is always a pleasure to a selection of different animals that all look really healthy and well-cared for. You are obviously doing a great job, well done!

Blue

I've always known about the salmonella. But I've never experienced it. I first was told about it at our Herp Group xmas party when I went to the table with my python sitting on my shoulders and our president at the time very politely told me to keep her away and filled me in on the salmonella risks. I work in the Deli at Coles. You should hear them when I talk about my snakes and salmonella, both which don't go well near fresh meat....lol...

great looking snakes like said before good hygiene and care i think youll be right allways give mine cuddles and kisses every one will have different oponions thats what makes us all diferent thanks for your great looking snakes(and aust new top model)

Nice snakes :) Back when I didn't know anything about snakes I was holding a large python at a pet shop, someone had brought him in because they had a night for the VIP members, and you could bring your pets (although bringing snakes would have been illegal) I enjoyed playing with this python, and before I left I kissed it on the head. Left lipstick on it lol. I was lucky I didn't get salmonella, and that the snake didn't bite me for touching its head.

very nice snakes, iv always kissed my reps, rats, dog, birds and other animal (alot over the years) but i have never had a problem, not saying it can't happen of corse but we shouldn't be afraid of everything we do because we (might) get sick from it, people get sick then most of the time get better thats life there is no point trying to hide from it and try so hard to never get sick thats just my opinion anyway live life don't be scared of it

Looks like I might have to start kissing mine more often! I'd do anything for a few days off work! Haha :p

Come one grylls no one takes sick days when they're actually sick its a waste of a sick day.

I've always known about the salmonella. But I've never experienced it. I first was told about it at our Herp Group xmas party when I went to the table with my python sitting on my shoulders and our president at the time very politely told me to keep her away and filled me in on the salmonella risks. I work in the Deli at Coles. You should hear them when I talk about my snakes and salmonella, both which don't go well near fresh meat....lol...

unless you enjoy bouts of dehydration and weakness, not to mention the obvious bowel movement, it's not very pleasant :)
lol, chicken's another source of salmonella, so are dirty egg shells. Any raw thing is prime for nasties to grow on
in reptiles it doesn't always show as an illness, some live with it completely fine (well until they become immunocompromised in some way or another)

onto dogs, i'd kiss my dog after his bath/shower, not on other times
you do realise what they usually do when they meet other dogs yea?

Last edited:
Beautiful collection of pythons you have there TaraLeigh.

I think everyone's favorite tough guy Bear Grylls would make an interesting case study on salmonella given his ability to eat things raw, cooked or digested by others.

^^ Hehe that man is insane. N' thanx.
whiteyluvsrum- Thanx I think so too, plan on eventually pairing her up with a nice hypo fella.
Renenet- I'm not too much of a dog fan 'full stop' either. At all in fact.
Bluetongue1 thankyou SO much for your interesting information and compliments.
I useto work in a Supa IGA deli hey mysnakesau.... Like the job?
assadassa... cheers for the confidence boost!
Tahlia.... Your story made me laugh. I think I might come and visit you tomorrow arvo after work if you'll be home?
Cheers for the compliments ittybitty & SteveNT.
I like the way you think Reptile_Lover!

Some updated shots, I have new hair :D

1st shot is labelled Mike Mike but it's actually Jumanji, oops, 2nd IS Harlequin.
Mike Mike.jpg Harlequin.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back