Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad

Reaction score
ok, i fully understand that this post may insult some people here, so plz, only constructive criticism.

i know absolutely nothing about the finer workings of owning a reptile, but i realy would like to get a snake. i know the very very basics of snakes, eg they shed, eat once a week (or less) do 1 smelly poop, are cold blooded and thus need heating etc.

but i dont know anything much more than that.

first i want to explain a little about myself:
i am 17 years old, i live in WA. i have both parents and a little brother living in the same house. we have several pets. a miniture poodle (13) a cat (14) 2 budgies and a sulphur crested cockatoo (~4-5). can you see any conflict there? the cockatoo is generaly outside, in a seperate undercover sheltered pergola attatched to our house, the dog and cat roam free inside+outside.
our dog is a pest, he is very jealouse of other animals, so i will obviously keep him away from anything that i may end up getting. the cat is not stupid, she stays clear, and the cockatoo is always kept under close reign. the door to my room is 99% closed apart from when i am in it.

my room is a mess, i surpose that wont matter because where i am thinking of putting a tank is not used or covered in mess :p. it will be a good metre+abouve ground on a sturdy set of draws, with additional anchoring as we see fit (dad loves woodwork).

due to the fact i am 17 i also have my lisence and thus run a car (86 VL commodore for those who care) i have about a grand left saved, with more to pay towards my car+pay for schoolies week, so im thinking ill look into getting a pet snake after leavers/as a christmas present.

i am hoping to start a plumbing aprentiship at the end of school so ill have megga bucks rolling in (300 a weak is alot to me :p) i am currently unemployed for 2 weeks coz woolies sucks and i am looking at more work before then to begin saving.

i like the idea of a pet snake, so i would like as much assistance as you can possibly offer me with my coming decisions.
i know nothing so i need step by step help.

first i cant find the rules on reptilian ownership in WA, so ill need some help finding/explaining where everything is written.

i would like advice from everyone on just what exactly i should buy. to me size matters, so i would realy enjoy raising a baby (hatchling?) snake up to something that would stretch roughly 1.5m or larger. can somebody recomend a good option? as i said i dont have much money so a cheaper option would be nice. or a list or something? so i can chose what i like the best?

also i would like some information on other things, like what i need for a snake, and what to look for. also i would like some advice on where to find healthy good snakes that are at a reasonable price. and i wouldnt mind any more information i could get, especialy what the deal is with lisences and how much they cost. cheers, ill add more newby questions when they develop

G'day Chad!

Welcome to the site, you are doing the right thing, learning everything you can BEFORE getting your snake!

But you will still have questions as you go along, all us newbies do!

As for the licencing, I can't help there, I'm in SA.

I would suggest reading a few of the books out there, and one of the good ones is, Care of Australian Reptiles by John Weigel. I got a new copy for 21 bucks but your library might have one, it's a great book for a beginner.

Then on a choice of starter snake, I would suggest a Maculosus (Spotted Python) The one I have is a champ, easy to look after and never bitten! Grows to a mt or a bit more and will fit into a small enclosure of 3ft x 2ft x 2ft when it's fully grown.

I am not sure of what snakes you can have in WA, perhaps AntaresisLady can help with that and licencing and also a breeder to get the little fella from?

Whan snakes are hatchlings they are happy to live in a clickclack container,(lunchbox size or a bit bigger container with latches on the lid) with just a heatmat under one third of it. Then you have plenty of time to build your own enclosure or save for a shop bought one.

Only Diamond Pythons need UV lighting when they are older so don't let anyone in a shop tell you it's a must for all pythons! But most snakes are happy to spend a little time outside in the sun once in a while.

Ok That's enough from me, I am only a new keeper myself, so I'm not an expert, some of them on here might be able to help more!!

Here Is a pic of my spotted so y ou can get an idea,

Kerri

i was already planning my own way of making an enclosure, i would enjoy tha tmuch more and enjoy it more. i must say i like the look of that snake, sounds like a good choice, how much did you pay for a snake like that? and you say that they dont bite? so they generaly have a calm temperment?

im thinking of getting my dad and working on making a jarrah floorboard style aquarium, with old floorboards around the outside with glass int he centre of each panel or something like that. i forgot to say that i plan to get more than 1 snake, as my $$ increase :p

theres a guy in this forum selling a coastal carpet python in QLD thats 1-2yo(i believe) for 150 including freight.

can sum1 tell me if thats a good idea? (to buy an older snake)
can i keep a coastal carpet in wa? if so what lisence do i need? (list of reptiles alloud here: http://www.naturebase.net/plants_animals/reptiles/pdf/appr_reptile_lists_2003.pdf)
i was also wondering what to look for if i am to get photos 1st, any signs of something wrong.
what do i need to do (apart form getting a lisence+enclosure) if i am to buy a snake like this?
i dont see a "coastal carpet python" on the alloud snakes list, but i see a south-west carpet python, any WA people know what the deal is.

if i was to get a snake like this is there any procedure it must go through? (quarantine, tests etc) thats for QLD-WA freight.

can i even freight a snake from QLD to WA?

First of all you should check out the calm web site at http://www.naturebase.net/plants_animals/reptiles/index.html for info on what types of snakes you are allowed in W.A. and info on caring for them . Secondly as per the license you are not allowed to keep fauna in your bedroom or bathroom of your house. Thridly go talk to Steve at Exotic tropical fish (he does more than fish) he is in Wangara. Lastly you need an import license to get a snake that is not listed on the W.A. list :)

Hope this helps you P.M. me if you need more wa help as i live in kingsley and have just gone through the same thing

welcome and good luck with getting a snake in WA.
i hear its not too easy.
i advise a coastal that is friendly for a first snake.
cheapish and easy to care for.

If you want something small then a childrens , stimpson or a Maculosus.

They are all pretty cheap, stimpsons being the more expensive.

Most of the other snakes grow larger than what you stated you were after.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/wildlife/permits/index.html
this is the link to the NT site for permits. i searched throught the NSW site to find it so save it somewhere!!!! it took me ages and you cant find it in google.
I sent off for my licence in NSW and it cost me $120 for 5 years. 4 working days gone and counting!!!!
I am looking at an MD python. They grow to just under 2m. Have a look on Herp trader or Ultimate Reptile Supplies for ideas...
Some of the ones I have looked at are
Childrens python or spotten python
Most of the Morelia Spilota subs (but not jungles as many say they can be snappy)
I have also been wondering about what is considered good. Basically what I have heard is that it varies depending on what people like. So long as it is heathly!
One more thing... be careful what you buy. I havn't purchased anything yet but I just read a thread on here abouty someone who was conned into buying a young jungle which is not feeding well so wehn you buy ask for a feeding and shedding record and ask to see it feed. If all else fails check here to see if anyone else has bought off that breeder/site and what their experiance was.
I really hope this helps as I understand how you feel!!!! Its so close 4 me now am heaps heaps excited.
1 more thing... Set your tank up a week or two before you get the snake and monitor the temp and humidity I did this with mine and blew one fluro bulb so I took that back and then realised my tank was not heating enough and tried 2 different types of substrate!!!
Good luck and if you would like anything else (i cant promise I can help) PM me.
We are in the same boat Im 17 just finished trials!!! (yay they r ova!!!) and desperate to get a snake
wow I wrote an essay... scary
Kenz
P.S I posed this in the wrong thread 1st :oops:

The South West Carpet on your list is pretty much the equivalent to what you are referring to as a Coastal. You will have to purchase your snake in WA as you can't import snakes into WA from other states.

As Mertle mentioned above, your snake will be better off in a click clack for a period of time. They like the smaller enclosures when little and big ones can be quite frightening. This just means you can get your little baby before having your lovely big enclosure finished and by the time you have your babies feeding/shedding/temperament sorted out and stable, it should be close to ready to go into the new big enclosure.

PM Antaresia Lady. She is in WA and can point you in the right direction for breeders and supplies you will need.

Congrats on your choice of pet and good on you for taking the time to learn.

:)

Oh also we have 3 cats which are the nightmare of all wildlife
(we keep 2 bells on them becoz one of the cats used to carry his in his mouth so it didnt ring as loudly) and 2 dogs. I keep my tank in my bedroom (becoz then I am the only one responsible for the door and closing the tank lid) but apparently you are not allowed to... stange.
Maybe a spare room or up high??
Some people keep their reptiles in the main room and cats etc walk past all the time.. I dunno its ur call
im going to shut up now

i have np with anything larger, that was a ball park figure, dealing in feet realy anything 7-8ft-14 or more even is ok

i was thinking of getting a snake that grows to 2.5m is a good idea, because to me that is quite a large snake, but having it as a smaller snake at 1st is almost like a starter snake, that grows with my experience.

obviously by this last statement i still have no idea, i am very thankful for your help

My advise is to find some breaders in WA and ask for there help. You can only learn so much from books, and these forums.
If you want something small then a childrens , stimpson or a Maculosus.
They all grow to under 1.5m, if you want larger, how much larger. A scrub python can go upwards of 3m, and weigh over 75kg. But not a very practicle snake for a beginner. For a beginner I'd look at a Murry Darling, Diamond, or carpet. If you want something more unique look at a Black Headed python but they cost a lot more $800+ as a minimum.

Your enclosure will need to be at a minimum half the length of your full grown snake of choice.

our house is quite large, with several rooms that can be shut off from the other animals.

my room was a great choice, but another rethink is neccissary then.

WELL that explains why snakes for sale in wa are so F@*(%ng expensive!!! coz u cant import them. that sux, means i gotta save more or try to get lucky. Time to build contacts in wa for advice/good deals. got lots of good help here, please keep it rolling

i plan to build my enclosure way b4 a snake is going to be living in it. maybe ill buy one or something. i read that carpet pythons can live to 100 years in the wild and 50 in captivity? is this true? sounds like a good life investment to have.

i dont have exams, well i have 1, and a small seniour english thing

i would love a hatchling snake that would eventualy grow big, but im afraid they cost way too much from stores for my current finacial status

Sth West Carpet is pretty much your only choice given the size that you're after - you can also get a Stimson, but their a bit smaller. You probably won't get much change out of $800 - $900 for the carpet python.

No pythons can be imported into WA - just elapids.

yeah, i would make a sweet enclosure, i love making things, so does my dad, thats np.

1.5m-2.5m is realy what i would like out of a full grown snake 2-2.5 would be nice! but i want to start small, raise it up, like i said, begin with something thats a small snake and let it grow as i learn more.

whats the price range for a carpet in wa? ive seen hatchlings at $1200 advertised !!! that is a pet shop tho... so expensive. $100 for a 3 year lisence, need a classification 3 lisence right?

offer to make enclosures then! I sure wish I could as mine is an all glass fish tank w/ a custom lid my bf built but he is too busy to do a full tank and as it is now it loses heat like all buggery

Yep Cat 3 licence.

Stencorp69 just bought a couple from memory, so send him a PM and find out where he got his.

The only pythons you can have in WA are Stimson's, SW carpets, Black headed pythons, Womas and Olives. You cannot import pythons into WA from the other states, even if they are WA species/subspecies. Although it doesn't apply to you, you can import vens into WA as long as they already occur there.

As far as suppliers go, I would go to Exotic Tropical Fish at Wangara, Steve Massey is the owner, but Kevin Horner is his herp man, very knowledgeable. Rick Sloan in Greenough (a nice drive in the VL!) breeds a lot of SW carpets and is a very reliable supplier, and a good bloke too. I would avoid dealers south of the river, especially in the Rockingham area.

Good luck, and if you want any more help Chad, feel free to pm me - I used to be a reptile.dealer in WA for 3 years till moving here to NSW, and have been involved in the herp scene in WA for 30+ years.

sorry to keep posting my own thread now, but got so much responses in so little time :p

how big does a stimpson get? i read they get to 78cm only, size matters to me, im more a v8 and pay for fuel than your 4cly deisel kinda guy :p (if only i could afford a v8 or fuel hehehe) carpets are expensive, whats cheap?

is there a cheaper time of year for snakes? eg after a big hatching season or something? if so, when is this. stimpson pythons are cheaper, there what? 200-400? i could prolly scrape one of them in under my budget. what are the associated costs? eg heat mats, FOOD how much is the right kind of food for a baby/small snake? and how much does that cost? what other costs? i can get little plants and rocks and other nice things from around my house and other private properties.

ok say i select a baby snake of my choosing, obtain a lisence, get food supply sorted+habits for feeding/cleaning, get a heat mat for wherever im keeping it temporarily, build a propper enclosure to move it into when its big enough (possibly design one that has something that fits in to make it smaller while the snake is only little ?? maybe? and kit the home out with dirt, rocks plants. what else do i need to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back