Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Penalties and fines etc for smuggling or illegaly importing anything will usually impose a fine of 6 thousand dollars at the minimum and it makes one wonder how many times people have actually gotten away with it and how many others are doing it.

I know myself and many others have been approached to attain certain animals for people overseas through a different forum however you'd have to be a clown to think it's as easy to get away with as they make out.I'm sure a few have taken up offers for certain animals when the deal would be a swap for a jag for example which I'm sure will pop up sooner or later sort of like the albino darwins and bhp's all of a sudden popping up overseas????????????

what makes it even worse are the so called high profile people who write on clutches to "legalise" these smuggled wild caught peices of crap !!!!!!!

what makes it even worse are the so called high profile people who write on clutches to "legalise" these smuggled wild caught peices of crap !!!!!!!

It is the buyers that are continuing the black market trade.
Without demand there would be no supply for poachers to exist smuggling.
This is why I did my homework for numerous years before parting any $$ as i wanted 100% LEGAL animals dated back to the 1996 amnesty. I may not have had the variety of bloodlines to work with but atleast I can proudly say I have animals with known history and I can proove this if there was to be any future raids as seen in the past.

amazonian, so are mine, that's why i got them off a couple of the most respected names in the hobby

Its amazing how some of the people that have the money to pay for these snakes, have been elevated to expert keepers when they have only had a few years of keeping snakes in general. Keeping an expensive snake does not automatically make you an expert. Especially when most snakes these days have been bred several generations in a row to make them more hardy to life in captivity. If you have money you can also pay someone that knows what he or she is doing to breed your reptiles for you. I take my hat off to any private keeper that has funded his own small projects and been successful in breeding their pair of greens. I also admire the fact that they are selling their animals for what they think is a fair price to allow other keepers to enjoy these amazing animals at a more reasonable price. I am all for expensive rare snakes, but greens have just never fallen in this class to me. Aussies or non-Aussie, Morelia viridis stays Morelia viridis. You can always see who the ones are that have a bit to lose in these threads, they are the ones who pipe up about how it wont effect the prices later in the season. This rubbish of good lines that dont prolapse, all nonsense to keep the price inflated. Why do you have to pay thousands more for a snake because someone says they dont prolapse, would a breeder ever admit to that??? I say go the lower prices!!!

There is no doubt breeding snakes now is far easier than it was in the pioneering days. The availability of captive bred stock and the volume of experience now out there makes it possible to breed predictably rather than by chance as happened in the past. I am not sure about the wisdom in paying someone to breed animals for you. That seems to defeat the whole purpose of keeping and breeding animals.The animals generally breed themselves if you provide the animal with the choice of the right conditions provided you have the right animals to start with. I have learn't the hard way after having to euthanise animals from unscupulous dealers but thats no different to the many animal industries, in which I have been involved in in my 40 years of breeding critters. Now with the advent of instant communication I doubt that the ratbags will last long.

quote Wokka: breed predictably rather than by chance.
Wokka didn't you state in a post only a month or two ago that you think most snakes are bred by accident?
That was classic mate.

quote from Wokka: not sure about the wisdom in paying someone to breed animals for you.
Who bred your albino olives for you?

.....I'm not sure about the wisdom of me posting while under the influence of a few days worth of cold tablets.

Yeah I believe that most snakes in the past have been bred by accident but now as knowledge biulds and animals are given access to the right conditions the numbers of snakes being bred is increasing. If we take for example my Albino Olives which are anecdotally difficult to breed. When I bought them last year i spent a lot of time talking to Trueblue who was very helpful with his knowledge. I bought the adult pair with their eggs already laid in the incubator and so leant a lot as Rob kept me updated on progress. By applying those principles I succeeded with 4 out of 5 pairs of Olives this year. I have had a very rapid learning curve in breeding snakes which has only been possible because of the generosity of the knowledgeable keepers i have dealt with. To me being able to confidently breed my snakes is a measure of understanding their needs which is why I keep them.
Incedently Steve , those BHPs went this year also, same snakes just different facilities.Maybe when you get over your "cold" give me a ring and get whatever ails you off your chest.

Ah no sleep for me again, just wanted to add Wokka, again there was no angst. Just some confusion over what I thought was fairly contradictory. This is a disscussion forum. Wouldn't you rather me throw that up there for your reply than sit here, probably like most others, scratching my head? I am easily confused though and according to my wife communication is my greatest weak point so maybe I should just shut the .... up :lol:
PS. It didn't say anything on the pill packet about NOT crushing up the pills and snorting them. :lol:

The unfortunate thing in any thread is that a post can be read in so many ways.
Its just human nature to take it the wrong way [ I know I do at times............. ok,ok......most times.....lol ].
On another completely different note [ sorry ], does anyone know much about the pigmy pythons.
Their pretty thin in collections [ so I'm led to believe ], anyone know the going price for them ??
Anyone will / got any available ??

Ah no sleep for me again, just wanted to add Wokka, again there was no angst. Just some confusion over what I thought was fairly contradictory. This is a disscussion forum. Wouldn't you rather me throw that up there for your reply than sit here, probably like most others, scratching my head? I am easily confused though and according to my wife communication is my greatest weak point so maybe I should just shut the .... up :lol:
PS. It didn't say anything on the pill packet about NOT crushing up the pills and snorting them. :lol:

Fishead I am sure you will find contradictions in my posts either because my opinions change or as an indication of my poor writing skills.I much prefer verbal but in this day and age it seems the written word is the way to go. I read some texts 3 and 4 times and still dont know what they mean so I guess I just have to accept I never be up to the communication levels of many of the younger participants. Yes Mungus I think posts can often be interpreted ambiguously . I often go back to read my own post and think , Why did I write that? I treat posting more like a yarn in the pub rather than a session in court. A bit like trying to work out snakes- Its fun.

What ever happened to growing your collection over time? We as I'm sure lots of others as well started out with the cheaper stuff,bred from them and used any profit made to purchase more expensive animals, to me its a natural progression.

Agreed.

What ever happened to growing your collection over time? We as I'm sure lots of others as well started out with the cheaper stuff,bred from them and used any profit made to purchase more expensive animals, to me its a natural progression.

Yeap, totally agree. Earning your greens is far more satisfying than just forking out cash and treating them according to their dollar value.

I grew my family over time, then my farm, then some houses ,so now at 53 I am just about out of time. I am not sure that breeding up over four years is any worse than breeding up over 24 years. Some people might say I haven't earned my greens, but from my point of view I have probably made just as many mistakes as others but with many species of animals instead of just reptiles, , so; is my experience equal?

I think warwick has done dam well for the amount of time hes been keeping herps. Every thing he keeps he breeds with out much trouble at all. Its a credit to him i recon. Well done mate.!!!!

There is no need to go personal here.
Better to stay on topic.

Ok, Back on the topic............:(
Just finished reading Simion Stones article ' GTP's and the school of experience '.
Basically he goes through and explains all the mistakes he made and how he lost 5
GTP's ranging from hatchies to Adults...........:shock:
Now, a man with that much experience can have so many hassel's etc, someone try and tell me their as easy to keep as other pythons.............
Alot of the breeders make out that they are, so that sales can continue.
Infact, it appears than they are more than a handfull and i'd say thats why they are on a class 2 licence.
Imagine spending $6000 on a hatchie and it prolapse's and die's after the first feed.............:shock:
Now, multiply that by 5.............:shock::shock::shock:

Ok, Back on the topic............:(
Just finished reading Simion Stones article ' GTP's and the school of experience '.
Basically he goes through and explains all the mistakes he made and how he lost 5
GTP's ranging from hatchies to Adults...........:shock:
Now, a man with that much experience can have so many hassel's etc, someone try and tell me their as easy to keep as other pythons.............
Alot of the breeders make out that they are, so that sales can continue.
Infact, it appears than they are more than a handfull and i'd say thats why they are on a class 2 licence.
Imagine spending $6000 on a hatchie and it prolapse's and die's after the first feed.............:shock:
Now, multiply that by 5.............:shock::shock::shock:

i had a read of that article when it come out and i couldnt believe the run of bad luck he had with them. i personally dont know anyone with that much bad luck with them. But i guess the more you keep the more likely you are to have problems. from what i have seen, read and done they arent that difficult. actually i reckon you'll have MUCH more problems if you fuss about them so much. just feed water and leave them. when they are older and bigger they are easier and safer to handle.

re Price

Just the old class 2 poo syndrome,thems the breaks,latest newsflash :lol:Gtp morphs selling his very yellow yearling for 3400,why by a hatchling when you can get a yearling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back