Python Personalities???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpMad

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey ho to everyone,

Hoping someone would be able to shed some light on a question... I've nearly completed setting up my Macs enclosure and i think its looking pretty tops, so im keen to bringing him out of the spare room and into the lounge room, "fluffy" seems to be relaxed enuff where he is, will moving the enclosure to where there is more people movement stress him out a bit or will he be just fine?:?

Also, when im handling him and showing him of to my mates for education purposes lol, when someone else is holding him he tends to be a bit more flighty and as soon as i hold him again he calms right down and chills out again...
Could he be 'used' to my smell or is it just wishfull from a proud as punch dad thinking my little guy and i share some sort of special bond? :D lol

Cheers in advance.

there is that special bond with snakes, and yes your scent would be one, snakes have an amazing sense of smell and i mean when you open the freezer door the snake switches into "feed" mode haha its crazy..

and with moving him into a new place from where he originally was will take some time to settle, give him a week or 2 once you move him again just to get use to the surroundings and what not,,he shall be fine tho :)

Cheers mate, yeah i love seeing his eye dilate and the tongue go bezerk when he knows its feed time...

and there it is.why do people love pythons?because they attach themselves to one soul and bond their being into yours.a fundamentally wild creature,that hasn't really changed much thru time,and we can bond ourselves with them.my pythons will tolerate other people handling them only so much and then it's an beeline back to mummy-me.and that's freaking cool.

batesy jungles are a bit bipolar i reckon. it could just be the changing of the weather or coming into shed. my little guy gets a bit cranky a week before he goes white eyed then i just leave him be till i see a skin. but i'm no expert so they're just my thoughts on what it could be. oh and herpmad macs are such cool little snakes i love how friendly they are. my jungle is in the lounge it took him about a month to start feeding properly after i moved him from the spare room now he's going good.

tigerbudgie:- batesy jungles are a bit bipolar i reckon.
I resemble that remark LOL this is too funny I am actually bipolar and have visions of bipolar Jungles acting like me(tickles me funny bone)
Regards
Crystal

Snakes definately know a particular scent to which they feel comfortable or safe with, sorry to sound horrible but I personally don't think snakes bound with a particualr person as such, just that they feel safe with person because of the scent which they associate with safety.
But I must agree it is nice to think that they are bounding somehow with someone spiritually.
My snakes definately prefer being with me when outside thier enclosures.
And moving to a new surroundings you should let them get use to it for one to two weeks before handling etc as mentioned before.

Last edited:
I for one do not believe that reptiles get attached to their keepers or know them etc. and can't understand what makes anyone think otherwise...

They show no emotion, facial expressions and react entirely on instinct.

As for the people above saying their snakes prefer to be with them or only tolerate 'strangers' for a short period of time, that's complete and utter nonsense in my opinion.

My reptiles don't give a hoot who is handling them, the bitey ones will bite and the more docile ones don't. Simple as that...

I for one do not believe that reptiles get attached to their keepers or know them etc. and can't understand what makes anyone think otherwise...

They show no emotion, facial expressions and react entirely on instinct

As for the people above saying their snakes prefer to be with them or only tolerate 'strangers' for a short period of time, that's complete and utter nonsense in my opinion.

My reptiles don't give a hoot who is handling them, the bitey ones will bite and the more docile ones don't. Simple as that...
Just to clarify, I am not disputing what you have posted. I am very curious, do they not recognise their owner by smell? touch etc
I am surprised to be honest :)
respectfully
Crystal

My Bredli know who i am and they love me.... My kids could have the Bredlis out and i walk in the room and the tongues starts goes off and they start looking for me.
I love it its like having a dog that just wants a pat from its mum or dad.
Then i have some Darwin that just wont to kill me but the kids can handle and my kids are 11 and 7.

My Bredli know who i am and they love me.... My kids could have the Bredlis out and i walk in the room and the tongues starts goes off and they start looking for me.

Sorry, but that is an exaggeration to think they are flicking their tongues in excitement upon you entering the room...

i dont remember saying they where flicking their tongues in excitement. how many snakes do you have and how close are you to them?
I only have a small amount and spend a lot of time with each.

So care to explain what you mean by them flicking their tongues and looking for you when you enter the room then??

It does not matter how much time you spend with them or how close you think you are to them, they do not bond with their keepers...

They simply tolerate us, nothing more nothing less.

Sorry buddy but i have to respectfully disagree with you.
Your intillted your your view but its completely different to mine.

That's fine, each to their own, however I would still like to know what you meant about your snakes flicking their tongues and looking for you when you entered the room..?

Sorry, but that is an exaggeration to think they are flicking their tongues in excitement upon you entering the room...

pretty sure sutto meant they could smell him/her.

snakes like all animals prefer comfort and a certain smell for them would like how us humans like the feeling of our own bed to a hotel room it's comfortable smells familar feels familiar. it's actually been proven that reptiles are intellegent and can problem solve so feeling at ease with one person isn't out of the realms of possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty sure sutto meant they could smell him/her.

snakes like all animals prefer comfort and a certain smell for them would like how us humans like the feeling of our own bed to a hotel room it's comfortable smells familar feels familiar. it's actually been proven that reptiles are intellegent and can problem solve so feeling at ease with one person isn't out of the realms of possibility.

you have hit the nail on the head there tigerbudgie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, most reptiles are on their own pretty much from the time they leave their egg or nest, what makes you think/believe they prefer comfort?

The comfort of a secure hide yes, but climbing all over their keepers arm and body; I highly doubt it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back