Python Personalities???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By Crikey!!!
First thread i've started with more than a handfull of comments!!
I just think regardless about weather my little dude and i share a bond, as long as he's healthy and happy thats all that matters... he's exploring around on my lap as a have a beer and watch the footy / APS, its doesnt get any better than that..

Reptiles are basically very very new in the pet category
Until very recently they were considered as oddities collected by odd people

Some guy with lots of letters after his name once wrote that reptiles have no emotions
Everyone believed that

Every single day we are showing exactly the opposite in our displays
But I have no letters after my name

They are not a cat or a dog [thank god] but each one displays different things in different ways
When we let them teach us what those ways mean, is when we just start to begin to understand

A reptile in a box is a curiousity
A reptile crawling all over you before curling up on you comfortably is a pet

My female diamond definatley prefers to be handled by me. When my kids have her she is much less settled and tries to get back to me, even though they move a lot less than me. I believe she knows my smell and feels more comfortable with me.

look up the term anthropomorphism

pls don't use rats as examples in these threads, reptiles and mammals are very different.

there was a show on abc where they gave 4 people 4 identical goldfish and they would have to spend 1 hour alone with their fish and at the end describe the fish they were given, the fish all were described with different personalities and human characteristics, even though they are the same.
I thought someone else might raise this but apparently not…
In terms of presenting supporting evidence for an argument or point of view, I found it interesting that you objected to rats being used because “reptiles and mammals are very different”. I think it is safe to say that reptiles and fish are very different – maybe not quite as different but none-the-less significantly so.

Incidentally, a sample size of 4 is not statistically significant in a controlled experiment.

The point I would make it that you considerably weaken your own argument and position by doing exactly that which you criticize in another’s argument.

Blue

Some guy with lots of letters after his name once wrote that reptiles have no emotions
Everyone believed that

Every single day we are showing exactly the opposite in our displays
But I have no letters after my name

Do you know what the letters PhD stand for?

piled higher and deeper.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool thread.put my 2c worth in early.must say tho it is nice to see debate without lowering ourselves to insults and name calling.

I love my reptiles,all of them are different "people" in their own rights.i have done lots of reading about the types i have and what snakes see,smell etc and it is all very interesting.but i don't have mine for research or learning.i have them because i love em and want to keep them happy.the have added something to my life and soul.i respect those who enjoy reptiles more from a scienctific point of veiw,but i look at mine from an emotional veiw.

Sookie,

What can I say? I just think that's a wonderful relationship to have. It's certainly one of the best reasons to keep. Awesome!

Thanks,
Blue

I experienced the same thing with my Diamond. He was particularly defensive after hibernation this year. The best thing to do is really take your time getting the snake out each time you do. Put your hand in and leave it in for a bit, and slowly move it toward your snake. If it is coiled try and slowly/gently uncoil it over a good couple of minutes. The more you do this the more comfortable your Jungle should be, the faster removing it form the cage should get. My guy took about a week to calm back down again.

Howdy Blu.was just telling the truth about my relationships with my pythons and dragons.i have put hrs upon hrs just spending time watching them,handling them and letting them know that mummy is a safe place to go.trust is so hard to build with some critters,but it always pays off in the long run.

id say the people who say reptiles have no personality are those who shove em in cages, feed and clean but dont spend any time interacting with them.

anyone who has been nose nubbed by a shingleback wanting a pat, or had a beardy start wriggling to remind the patting hand to keep going knows that these guys are as affectionate as any cat or dog.

theres no better feeling than getting home, seeing my oldest bredli catch a glimpse of me and coming straight to the front of his enclosure or aviary to be picked up for his daily half hour. (he helps me cook as long as were not having chicken. Chicken = feeding response, lol,..!!)

id say the people who say reptiles have no personality are those who shove em in cages, feed and clean but dont spend any time interacting with them.

anyone who has been nose nubbed by a shingleback wanting a pat, or had a beardy start wriggling to remind the patting hand to keep going knows that these guys are as affectionate as any cat or dog.

theres no better feeling than getting home, seeing my oldest bredli catch a glimpse of me and coming straight to the front of his enclosure or aviary to be picked up for his daily half hour. (he helps me cook as long as were not having chicken. Chicken = feeding response, lol,..!!)

We often take a Chondro or Burmese out to dinner here at various restaurants/warungs
They ignore our plates completely except for when sometimes the meat is a bit doubtful
If the 'chicken' had fur they perk right up

Bluetongue1: you quoted me twice and misread me twice i'll have to explain my view.

These thread/debate come up occasionally and always end in stalemate, 2 sides one say snakes have personality/emotion/3 steps plan to escape, and the other side say no, i'm neutral and looking in from outside and ask why are these people fighting over something that cannot be proven - no one can read minds ok, not even the mind of the person next to you so how can you read the mind of an animal, we're all self contained, after all the fighting you cannot prove they have it and you cannot prove they don't.

the examples you need to look at the context in which it was used, the rat was used to show that since it has personality so must the other pet- the snake. my example of the fish is why do people give animals human traits, because it's in our nature just like you are giving your reptiles human traits.

see the end line in your quote- scientific and empathy view, im looking at it from both side, im supporting neither and just keep them as pets.

I thought someone else might raise this but apparently not…
In terms of presenting supporting evidence for an argument or point of view, I found it interesting that you objected to rats being used because “reptiles and mammals are very different”. I think it is safe to say that reptiles and fish are very different – maybe not quite as different but none-the-less significantly so.

Incidentally, a sample size of 4 is not statistically significant in a controlled experiment.

The point I would make it that you considerably weaken your own argument and position by doing exactly that which you criticize in another’s argument.

My understanding was that the example provided was a study on the "personalities" and characteristics that humans falsely attribute to animals - I do not think the intention was to compare fish and reptiles in any way. The other poster introduced a relatively intelligent mammal to the conversation, which was completely irrelevant.

Bluetongue1: what's with the cheap shot at people with phd ? they work hard in their chosen field at least respect that. so one person with a phd wrote a paper saying snakes have no emotion, have you even read it ? ask lonqi for the link and then make an informed judgement.

btw fish and reptiles do have some similarities, both depend on an external heat source, have scales, cannot blink, some lay eggs some live young and a type of fish (cichlids) show similar parental care. snakes in the wild maternally incubate their eggs and once they hatch the young are on their own, cichlids look after their eggs some mouthbrooders starve themselves holding the eggs and young in their mouth, once the eggs hatch the parents continue care, chewing and spitting food in the middle of the pack of fry, at night they dig shallow nests on the gravel and gather the young together, have you seen two 5 cm convict cichlids trying to protect their babies from a 30 cm oscar in the next tank?

Scientifically we cannot prove that reptiles have emotions
But scientifically we cannot disprove it either

Every reptile I have met has been different in one way or another
I find it difficult to compare fish and reptiles from an emotions point of view mainly because the fish cannot safely interact with people through handling etc etc
In saying that I have seen captive bass etc etc become much more alert when their owner walks into a room after studiously ignoring everyone else
Feeding prompt??? Maybe; or maybe something more

But with snakes and lizards if the animal is accepted as part of the family they seem to respond in kind
Barra our Wild Caught iguana now follows one staff member here like a puppy and sulks when she has days off
I used sulks because sulks fits the description perfectly and surely sulking is an emotion?
One Burmese will kiss 3/10 people and will kiss those same people when they return but not the others???

There is so much left to learn and the more I begin to understand reptiles, the more I realise how little I know

My understanding was that the example provided was a study on the "personalities" and characteristics that humans falsely attribute to animals - I do not think the intention was to compare fish and reptiles in any way. The other poster introduced a relatively intelligent mammal to the conversation, which was completely irrelevant.
My point was a lot of people don't consider rats to be an intelligent mammal. As for fish, I had a weather loach that used to come and lie in my hand, didn't do it to anyone else, go figure.

Deleted - off topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back