Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can settle this-- this is what happens when you cross breed!!! this is a JungleXDiamond ;)

I'm one of the polluted people Nick was talking about lol I think people should be able to breed what they want. Randy

I sure hope that's an earth worm and not one you should be treating yourself for Randy.

;)
IsK

nickm, you right on the money mate, i just wish that the people over here that continue to pollute our hooby with mongrels will stop, read your post and have a long hard think about what you have said and the eventual damage it WILL do to our hobby.
cheers mate we need an insight like yours from someone that has seen and experianced the enevitable of what this shocking pratice WILL do.

True Blue the post is here for me as a new comer to hear or read peoples views on interbreeding. It is not here for people to sign up for an interbreeding program. Relax. I don't believe in interbreeding these great animals either. However everyone is entitled to thier own views and opinions... I must say though that I certainly don't believe in the destroying of these cross breeds just because they are the result of something that should not have been done n the first place.

i agree krissy, im only stating my opinion.
your also right that its not the snakes falt but that of an irresponsable keeper, maybe we should destroy them instead.? or at least hope that the authorities come in to play soon, and cancell licences and remove the animals off keepers that continue to do this. I for one are all for this.

Personally I think that interbreeding in captivity is wrong, because the breeding is under controlled environments. However, in the wild like someone said, the female is in season and will mate with any male.

well the fact that snakes cant tell the difference from its breed to the same breed in a female snakes same with cats and dogs bird and everything else if a female is in season then any male will breed with her no matter how or where or when so ppl saying all this crap about its wrong to do in captivity just think how you think all the breeds came about in the first place.....!!!!! And how we all have these awesome fantastic snakes in care now and how you get xbreeds.....simple fact is that out in the wild snakes are mating with other snakes etc etc

You can't be serious, so where in the wild do we see bredli mating with diamonds or jungles with GTP's????

Personally I think that interbreeding in captivity is wrong, because the breeding is under controlled environments. However, in the wild like someone said, the female is in season and will mate with any male.

Or it could just be that males aren't picky... ;)

I don't believe the hybridised animals should be destroyed...as stated earlier it is the error of the keeper not the animal. However am completely opposed to hybridising...

Just because "it happens in the wild" isn't sufficient justification for corrupting the animals... there are plenty of behaviours that happen in the wild that are not performed by responsible keepers in captivity - eating live prey for example...

..and in regards to the Diamond X's has it been considered that by producing these animals it may be possible to produce a far greater number of animals in captivity with the potential to suffer from DPS - an illness only found in captive snakes? Seems irresponsible...

I just dont see the point of producing hybrids. I dont really know what should be done with hybrids, maybe it should be compulsory to desex them or somthing. and i think there should definatly be strict laws restricitng people from producing hybrids.

This is just a question....

I have no intention to breed whatsoever with my babies.....

With Canaries and Goldfinch's Pet shops willingly buy these so called 'mules' as they have a better singing voice than a pure male canary.

The females are sold off really cheap, no singing voice and are also infertile.

Males from this X breeding are fertile but the females aren't....

Does anyone know if this is in fact the same with cross breed snakes or are they all fertile?

Matt

PS - If it wasn't for X breed snakes I wouldn't own any at this stage..... I love all my babies

This is just a question....

I have no intention to breed whatsoever with my babies.....

With Canaries and Goldfinch's Pet shops willingly buy these so called 'mules' as they have a better singing voice than a pure male canary.

The females are sold off really cheap, no singing voice and are also infertile.

Males from this X breeding are fertile but the females aren't....

Does anyone know if this is in fact the same with cross breed snakes or are they all fertile?

Matt

PS - If it wasn't for X breed snakes I wouldn't own any at this stage..... I love all my babies

It depends if your are crossing sub-species or species, if subspecies then they should be fertile such as a diamond x coastal. If it's a species it depends how closely related they are.

I think some of the offspring produced look fantastic and have their place in collections - providing they don't escape into the wild - then the problem of producing such an animal might then become a little more transparent.

Why is a hybrid escapiong into the wild anyworse than other snakes escaping? ill answer for you it is no differant at all both have the potential to breed and pollute gene pools.

Personally i think they are here to stay the more open and accepted it is the less the problem will be. Also crossing animals that are the smae species is no worse than breeding animals from differant or unkown localities IMO.

I also think there are plenty of breeders around that like to keep lines pure and im sure the will continue in the future and they will be a source of pure snakes for those that want them. They may all be albinos or striped and look far differant from what you would be likely to see in the wild but they will still be around.

Why dont ppl who hate hybrids just buy them all and use them as reptile food, put your money where your mouth is.

so true.... they will always be around. i plan on having 5 pairs of snakes I already have a pair of coastals which won't be ready for breeding til next season and a pair of water pythons (hopefully soon) that will be bred this season. I also have intentions for a pair of olives, bredli, and jungles, however these will be obtained as juvies or hatchies... as this year will be my first attempt at breeding. I have no intention to breed mixes as truth be told I love these snakes for what they are(PURES) However I would happily buy a mixed python as a pet just to look at if need be, my kids are also very interested in snakes and are to young to consider breeding them so one of these mixes for them would be perfect.

Do a search and find out dont stir up all the **** again. Why dont the mods direct the newbies to the search instead of letting topics like this get done to death??????????
JMO

well the fact that snakes cant tell the difference from its breed to the same breed in a female snakes same with cats and dogs bird and everything else if a female is in season then any male will breed with her no matter how or where or when so ppl saying all this crap about its wrong to do in captivity just think how you think all the breeds came about in the first place.....!!!!! And how we all have these awesome fantastic snakes in care now and how you get xbreeds.....simple fact is that out in the wild snakes are mating with other snakes etc etc

This is it people....this is the end of reptile keeping.

What kind of rubbish is the above? What infomation are you basing this on? Of all the dumbasss things i have read on this site this is the stupidest, most moronic, brain dead load or hippo [deleted] i have ever seen.

And before you say this is just your opinion, it's not your opinion because opinions are based on real infomation, actual evidence and knowledge.....which you have none of.

Now it's your turn to kick and scream about how mean i am and that i know nothing and that your friend knows has a friend of a friend that worked with Steve Irwin or some garbage but no one cares.
It's plain to see you have no knowledge of reptiles anywhere in the world let alone Australia and you shouldn't be giving advice to people about things you know nothing about.

Run away people run run run from these idiots it's your only hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sorry for the countless people who get taken advantage off when you buy thier first python, pay top dollar, and get hoodwinked with a hybrid.... would sure leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Great Post Nick, its a shame what has happened in the USA and Europe, and yet in Australia so many people claim that there isnt a problem with crosses in your neck of the woods...

I hope a few of you yanks keep the animals from PNG pure, before they get lost in the jaguar craze.

For everyone who wants to compare other domestic hybrids to creating hybrids of our native wildlife, how can you compare the two? i love Australian wildlife no end, i would hate to see its natural variation lost in captivity to the "generic carpet python" of the future.

It's plain to see you have no knowledge of reptiles anywhere in the world let alone Australia and you shouldn't be giving advice to people about things you know nothing about.

Surely you must be mistaken BigSven!!;)

She couldnt be wrong about NT having no OPMV because they dont import any snakes from other states....., snakes loving to cuddle and have tea parties, feeding live rodents to snakes after freezing them alive.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back