Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hybrids escaping and breeding with native pythons, this does happen, there was a thread on another site where a person on the central coast of NSW (diamond python central) had been called out to remove two separate pythons, one of which was a hybrid the other was a coastal, neither of which belong living wild on the central coast.

The other problem is people wanting pure animals and collecting more from the wild putting more strain on wild populations, this will happen it already is happening.

I'm sure i could come up with more.

From a hobby point of veiw i don't like people crossing but i do realise that it's now part of the hobby and those who wish to cross breed snakes should be encourgaed to be honest abouty what they are doing rather than slamed for doing so, that way me may have some hope of keeping 'pure' and 'hybrid' pythons separate.

Your first point a very common one is completely flawed and has no relevance to hybrids in particular any snake that doesnt come from the exact area where you live can have this effect and with the amount of incompent ppl letting animals escape this is a sad reality that comes with ppl keeping herps that dont come from their area.

As for ppl collecting from the wild, they may do, in 99% of cases it wouldnt have any real effect on populations, if you think it will please gives some evidence to show how much of an effect it has. The fact that this can happen(even if illegal) destroys the arguement made by others that pure snakes will magically vanish if ppl breed hybrids.

You last point is right on the mark :)

I cant help thinking that the majority of keepers creating hybrids at the moment may well be people who are new to this hobby and want to make a quick buck, but will probably lose interest in snakes rather quickly, leaving the experienced, dedicated keepers to live with the mess they created.

I hope i'm wrong.

Unfortunately I think you are right ST.It does seem that a lot of the newer keepers in the hobby are getting too caught up in the breeding aspect of things before they even learn the basics of correct husbandry etc.As an example how many posts have cropped up here asking "How do I keep my diamond/coastal cross?Do I have to give it UV and or lower temps etc"

Then we have others who couldnt care less about what they are doing to the hobby.An example of this can be found in Victoria where someone has crossed an albino darwin with a jungle and produced a clutch.

Well why dont YOU start a national education revolution and start it all off instead of critisising my sugestion. At least my suggestion would have been a start.

Please bless us with another well thought out peice of dribble.

I have not resorted to name calling and belittleing peoples opinions you could do the same.

You are being part of the problem so either stop and do something or just stop complaining.

Hear, Hear.

IsK

escaping

as for the point of some one being worried about hybrids escaping.
I am a novice but what difference would it make when too mwnay people just let their herps go when the novilty has worn off.Whats worse letting a hybrid go or a pure blood to create wild hybrids ????
:rolleyes:

Its a great worry when threads pop-up questioning how many generations it takes to breed Hybrids until they are Pure animals again..... even more of a worry when people are actually saying its possible.... the blind leading the blind.. ignorance must be bliss!

As far as the classic hybrid lovers arguement that if they are sold for what they are its all good...

If people seriously think breeding Hybrids together will eventually result in pure animals again they would "honestly" be selling them as pures because they seem to think they are.....

I agree with what has been said, why do some need to always resort to name calling and show no respect for others ?
I guess it must come down to 'you can have an opinion as it's mine'

This topic is open again.
please try not to argue in bad way again so I don't have all this extra work to edit , delete and issue infractions again.

what did i miss, bugger, can somebody fill me in, lol, i was away from the computor most of today,

i sooo cant be bothered to read any of this.

i think bryony has a good point, i say ley the authorities sort it out, its illegal in most states so the more we anouy them about the situation the more they are likey to do something about it.

I felt i had some very valid points, but they have been deleted now.

If education is the key, then why dosnt someone right a paper about it and post it so everyone can read it.
Containg proper research and no opinions.

You didn't miss anything Steve, same old stuff, a few on their soapbox others don't agree, name calling and general immaturity. Just an average day really. :)

what did i miss, bugger, can somebody fill me in, lol, i was away from the computor most of today,

i have a diamond cross coastal which is a beautiful snake both in looks and temperament but he will only be kept with other males. I think it is irresponsible and poor husbandry to breed diamonds and coastals together when they are such impressive snakes without muddying the waters.

Let me start by saying that I am extremely down on myself for the tension I have caused here, c'mon guys seriously, everyone has a right to thier opinion wether it be good or bad. Doesn't mean we have to nit pick at each other. Where's the Love. It is obvious that there is always going to be arguments for and against this topic, it's just one of those things that clearly some will agree on and some won't. It really is dissappointing though to see just how many people will resort to name calling. As has been said b4 if you have nothing nice to say............... well you know the rest.

what happened to everyone being entitled to their own opinion? Are "nasty" opinions invalid purely because they're perceived as nasty?... :p just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back