Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soz there 30L starmaid tubs i want to build in a rack to hold 10 snakes rathern than buying 700 dollar cages.

Well done mate. I think its great that you are so disciplined and dedicated to your goals. Don't listen to all those people who are suffering tall poppy syndrome.

You may also want to buy a stainless steel bench trolley. That way you can increase you bench space, move it to the enclosure you are working on, and they are really easy to clean.

All the best with your set up. Hope you become the keeper/breeder that you aspire to be.

Soz there 30L starmaid tubs i want to build in a rack to hold 10 snakes rathern than buying 700 dollar cages.

30l starmaid undertubs are the perfect size for adult antaresia alhough I'd only stack 8 high not ten, and im fully grown so I dont know how youd reach the top lol.

you don't need power points every 50cm. But you should put them on a seperate circuit to the rest of the house.

30l starmaid undertubs are the perfect size for adult antaresia alhough I'd only stack 8 high not ten, and im fully grown so I dont know how youd reach the top lol.
LOL im only 160cms tall so i would invest in a little step ladder. Twenty B yes that is what dad said and the elecrticity bill i will have to give him some money towards it.
Thankyou guys for all your helpfull hints but one problem where can i buy a stainless trolly from? Ebay? Also what is a good temp to run the incubator at for lizards and snakes or should i just half it one side snakes and the other lizards? I got a jacky dragon today and she is apparently "gravid" :shock:im not to sure about this, from the other pics on this site. She has 3 lumps on her side which you could see from about 1meter away. So hopefully i will breed my first clutch of any reptile!!:D
Thanx Jordy

Try Bunnings all any hardware...Also your better of to invest in 2 incubators,lizards incubate around 28c and pythons 31c...Depending on how many clutches you expect maybe make a smaller one for the lizards or vice-versa..cheers.MARK

Thankyou mark yes i will be breeding snakes and lizards especially dragons and bluies. Ok so i will make it into 2 sections.

If i was making a reptile room, i would have:

AirCon
Tiles(Maybe heated, if living further down the coast)
Fridge/Freezer(Large)
1 Fridge Incubator
1 Esky Incubator
2 x 4 rack shelves(either for rat/insect breeding or for storage)
Laundry Basin with; as you said a jet hose, and hot/cold tap.
Lots of powerpoints (5-10, coming from the cieling or half way up the wall, not towards the ground)
security at the door and an alarm system
Thumb-print lock on the door $150 over the internet (no joke)
small viewing lounge for relaxation.
1x window and 1 sliding glass doors.....if i think of any more ill add them 8]

Twenty B i back you up on that. I dont really want to get nailed by BHP"s when i go to get them out of their cages cause the room smells like rodents.

I sort of built a reptile room when we built our house, we've been in about 3 1/2 months. We had a study which we had to extend to meet house requiurements in our estate, it's about 6x3m. I have a few herps so basically designed the room around them. My husband is a sparky and he did all the electrical during the building process. Was fanstastic as we had access to the house the whole way through building. I could pick where to put power points, and add anything I'd forgotten at design stage. I went with carpet to help keep the room warm (we're in chilly melbourne). We had spare carpet off cuts, so I put some under my bigger heavier enclosures, and frog tank.

The insulation guys had extra left over from the external walls so they put some in the walls around the 'study/reptile' room. I had about 6 double power points spread around the room. We have a normal full size window which I chose to leave as the room is at the front of the house and would have looked funny if I'd changed it, but it's double glazed and it's a wind-out window so no one can climb in. We also had it tinted so no one can actually see inside the window now and also keeps out the heat on those bad hot days.

We have ducted heating/cooling and put a large vent in that room, so keeps really good temps, and most of the times the thermostats turn off cos it's at the right temp. It's also warm enough to keep my woodies colony happy and breeding!

I got a dust buster for xmas, and that's been my life saver when it comes to cleaning up in the herp room!! I still have a few older enclosures, but am buying one at a time new enclosures to all match, so the room looks good. I think having all the herps in one room has been great, easier for cleaning and feeding.

One thing you will need is storage space! I have so much crap, but I've been having cupboards put in the bottom of my enclosures so I have somewhere to put all the crap now!

haha I didn't know u boys understood the klat.
that is funny!My mate is a butcher and we always talk about nemows and things that are on doog

30l really? I thought they would be too small to house adult antaresia. I would have thought something a bit longer say 700-900mm would be better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back