Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't ask me I got no idea!.. we lost a good bloke from this site recently cause of negativity towards them from someone in recent weeks had good knowledge and was able to answer most questions but there lot here that can answer just about everyone question

I agree with you Afro i think there is too many people out there selling reps in shops with no idea, which doesnt help the newbies and the herps that are being sold to them.
After reading your other post Bouncer i hope you guys really learn your stuff before you start trading.
Not trying to be rude jmho

No worries, i figured I'd get that reaction. Hubby is doing a course through TAFE on care and handling of reptiles and amphibians. He has to do that before they issue the commercial licence. He knows a bit more than me already.

Sounds good,
Also sounds like you are really keen and want to learn and are about to do something that a lot of us wish we could,
Good luck

Nick

Hey boucer, thats fantastic, i think an assett to your company would be a visit to shanes down in sydney and doing one of the "beginner Courses" he is offereing, because he can teach you everything you need to know about reps... JMHO

Angel

Thanks nigmax. Both of us are aware that we have some serious learning to do. But the opportunity was handed to us and we'd be stupid not to take it. Heck, I don't want to be working the graveyard shift cleaning toilets for the rest of my life.
Agamidae, I know how to contact you if I need a hand mate. We might have to hook up for a chat sometime.
Angel, I don't think either of us could afford the time to go all the way to Sydney for that. Hubby is doing a course soon up here. I will be doing it next. Can't do it together with the kids n all. We're off this morning to talk with the Pet Shop about the new building. It's getting exciting and scary all at the same time.

make a profit, but don't don't charge to much for them. most petshops rip people off because they are not aware of how much they are privately.

Good luck.

Congrats on your new venture. :)

Please have caresheets ready and if the site admin is ok with it, have a link on the caresheets to this site for people to ask their newbie questions. Maybe a forum can be set aside for *insert your reptile shop* newbie questions and you could use that link? Offer followup care.

Good luck with it, it won't be easy, but if you love what you do it will be easier. Don't carry too much stock, maybe a couple of items of each at the start and build stocks once you know demand. Nothing worse than tossing out old stock due to expiry dates (feed items) and seeing dusty old product on shelves.

Set up some sample cages, with stock from the shelves, let people see how it is all used, then sell as a package deal if wanted, with a slight discount for the lot.

Look at getting EZI-Pay options for larger package buys. Club membership with discounts for regular customers. Encourage regulars and have the coffee pot handy to help build relationships with the regulars. Etc Etc

ARGHHHH

I am full of ideas, shut me up now!

Good luck :)

And good idea's they are wrasse, lol. If admin here is happy for me to include the site address on the caresheets, I'll be happy to do so.
We had talks with the Pet Shop today about floor plans and such and I had a look at stockists and other bits and pieces. We also bought ourselves 8 Childrenni hatchlings to care for until we open.
Thanks ad :D

Well, it sounds like you've got a head on your shoulders and the will power to set it in motion, i wish you all the luck in the world that you wont just be another pet shop. Coz thats the last thing you want to be. Try to be an educator for the pet store community that the reptile industry is not a cash cow, but a great hobby to invest wisely into.

Angel

So u finally got the secret out of the bubble. great. so when do u think u'll be open?

I get the message mate ;). i mean like date, though if unsure thats cool

I don't have a date. The building plans are in with the council at the moment. How it is working is, The Vet on Redbank Plains road will be coming in with us. He has land and is building a huge warehouse type building behind him. Prestige Pets will have their shop there and we will have ours in the same building, but separated. The vet will be there for us so we will have all reptiles sexed and checked and have paperwork to show that when sold. the idea is that we'll have 3 businesses running from the one location. All you need for any pet in one place, but all separate businesses. Because we will deal solely in Reptiles, and not have the overheads as normal pet stores, we can keep our prices as close to private sale prices as we can.
The openeing date is scheduled for late August but will solely depend on the council and builders. The shopping area where Prestige Pets is now is being redeveloped into a huge mall or something so they have to be out by September. Where they go, we go.
Just to give you an idea, we just purchased 8 Childrenni hatchlings for 100 each, We will probably sell them for around the 150 mark. We will have enclosures already set up and ready to use and if a first time buyer buys one, We will give them a discount on their reptile.
While this is a business and we do have to make profit to survive, We want to make it easy on the first time buyer as well as making sure we have what the more experienced herper needs as well.

What will happen with the reptile products that prestege sells? will u be competing? or will they stop stocking?

dont tell us the prices u got them for thats for your knowledge only i think, specially as they were bought by someone off this site. and in a pet shop $200 for a hatchy childreni is a great price compared to $270 down here in vic. good luck with it all u sound like you will do it properly so that is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back