Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Reptile Shop

Well MOTH is off to do the course this week, Once thats done we can get the commercial licence. The ball is startin to roll!

To me, the bottom line of ANY business is KNOW what you sell. Too many people start businesses too soon, they would be much better off and more successful if they just learnt their "product" inside out before trying to market it. JMO

My thoughts exactly,not having a dig Bouncer but say if someone came in your shop and was looking at one of the childrens family to purchase could you tell them the difference between the different species"maccies,stimmies,childreni,blonde macs and what areas they can be found?Same with blue tongues,can you tell if it's an easternalpine,northern,blotched etc Would you know if you somehow bought any crosses of these species.

I'm all for specialty reptile shops rather than selling reptiles in a regular pet shop but as afrofish said know your "product" and know it well.Good luck in your new venture!!!

By the time the shop opens, (which won't be until at least August) I will. I'm fairly confident I can tell the Blue Tongues and Beardies apart on sight. I have alot to learn, I've said this before. I won't be working in the shop as much as Hubby, who knows a helluva lot more than me. We will also have Dicco working on weekends, who knows what he's talking about. I'm fully aware that there's plenty to learn. I am concentrating on learning what I can about the small amount of species we are allowed to sell. And to make sure the people who buy from us will be well educated, We will have caresheets on basic care of the species they buy as well as information and history of that species. These will not be a one page photocopied sheet. So far, The caresheets alone are two pages and once the other information is added will be printed up in book form. So anyone buying any animal from us will have all the information they need. There will also be useful web address's such as this one included.
No, we aren't experts, but neither are alot of people on this site who claim they know everything. But I can tell you I knew nothing about any herps before I joined here and I know a helluva lot more now and I can only keep on learning. Just as we all can.
I pointed out once before that this opportunity was offered to us and we would have been stupid not to take it. So it is happening, and we will do our best to learn as much as we can and do it properly.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Reptile Shop

Bouncer said:
No, we aren't experts, but neither are alot of people on this site who claim they know everything. But I can tell you I knew nothing about any herps before I joined here and I know a helluva lot more now and I can only keep on learning. Just as we all can.

Is anyone ever an expert !!!! Good on you for wanting to give something you love a go. As long as you have the welfare of the animals at heart and want to learn how to do it properly..You will learn and you will be successful as its easier to sell something you believe in.
Good luck

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reptile Shop

Petshops charge generally a 100 % markup minimum on what they paid for it. They probably didnt get a real wholesale price either, more likely a reduced retail price.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reptile Shop

Thanks bob. Thats correct womas. Pet Shops usually buy from private collections, because alot of breeders wont sell to them due to that mark up. I would rather buy from breeders to keep costs down. It will take a while but once people see we are in it for the herps, It will take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back