Reptiles Australia magazine is impressive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it so easy to be critical about Aussies "having a go"

If anyone thinks Reptiles Australia magazine needs improvement - get in there and help out
don't whinge and knock it
Its a top quality publication and suits more people than not

Keep on Herpin Simon and crew

Sandee :)

If anyone thinks Reptiles Australia magazine needs improvement - get in there and help out

This is good point. I think that consequence should help and post some article about interesting subject to magazine. They are looking for experienced writers all the time.
Go for it consequence I will be looking for some interesting reading from you in next issue.
Show them what some of us from APS can come with.

If critisism is due then why pretend otherwise.
Lets face it, people are easily fobbed off with inferior product and i stand by my opinion that to date the magazine is inferior.
I dont feel ive whinged( typical though, one disagrees so immediatley denotes the other as a whiner and unfairly critical of someone who is vulnerable), Ive made valid and credible comment. You on the other hand feel that this somehow impinges upon some inalienable right to be mediocre.
If they pay me i might be interested but they may prefer to approach a designer, not a visual artist. I dont need to be a TV producer to know whats good, bad and mediocre on the box and I dont need to be a publisher to have an opinion on a magazine..
I still think it has a way to go, thus the mooring line comment. Its a metaphor that implies they have a grander vessel they could berth there.
Thats my opinion and probably more valid than yours Sanndee as it is informed, educated, erudite and without predjudice. So stick a smiley on that.

Hi Slatey,
Letterboxes are great....we need a new one ours is almost toppling over hehehe
Do you do granite for bench tops??

There is always room for improvement for anything...being a magazine or whatever.....I still think the Reptiles Australia magazine is fantastic and photos are top-notch!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm you certainly have a way with words (excellent writer material)

Looking forward to reading your contribution in our little ol Aussie reptile magazine (and RA do pay for articles)

My opinion was not personally directed at you consequence and I apologise if you took it to be

Kind regards

Slammed, ouch.

I'd prefer to stick with the crowd and say that Reptiles Australia has a far higher quality of articles then both Reptile Care and Reptiles magazine. The detailed keeper articles seem to be better written then most other mags. Probably the only mag that outclasses it at the moment is Monitor however it is only release at half the frequency of Reptiles Australia.

Probably the only negative feedback I have for the latest issue is the layout of the Albino story, having a story continue 4 pages later looks really fragmented and it seemed as though advertisements were crammed into the middle pages of that story. Besides that I'm happy to renew my subscription :)

Slatey, I have been driving past your showroom for 24years ;) My relos live around the corner and my parents about 10 minutes away ;)

Slatey, I have been driving past your showroom for 24years ;) My relos live around the corner and my parents about 10 minutes away ;)

Now thats a worry, he'll have to move now.

your a smooth one sandee

Last edited by a moderator:
The US Reptiles mag has excellent articles on Australian species on a regular basis, i find the articles to be far more in-depth, compared to RA.

Although RA is very glossy ;)

Fair go, at least we now have a magazine in Australia and it is improving all the time. I have every issue and look at the first one compared to the latest and it is a huge improvement and it will conitnue to improve.
Australian Birdkeeper was also a bit iffy at the start (I have first issue) and now it is a world renowned magazine and I truly believe RA will get there also, so how about credit were it's due and support.
Criticism is welcome but be constructive and offer ways to improve, not just saying it's crap.
Jas (just my 2c worth)

How do you get a subscription to Rep Aus and how much?

Donk

:shock::shock::shock: I have to disagree with this post. I think that magazine layout and design is good and attractive to wide public market.

But on other hand, it is always so easy to be critical.

I think that this latest issue is good.

I totally agree Slateman , it's easy to critize !
. Have you ever tried to run a business or put something like that together yourself ? .
Sure , there may be a few things that could be a little bit better , time will tell .
Good on the mag for having a go . Cheers

The fact is.
If you pay for something, weather it be a book or a landscapeing job, if your not happy with it you have a right to say so.
Others on the other hand have no right to try and tell you what your opinion should be.
If thoughs that like it can pass there opinion, So can thoughs that find it poor.

I think its a little light for the cost myself. It takes me longer to read my commic for half the price and twice the enjoyment.
I think paying the cost of the mag to get all the advertising we see everyday on all the avalible trade sites is a little over the top.
And its not hard to see that a very large part of the content is advertising.

I have no interest in doing better so dont waste your breath going down that line. But im not going to accept a poor product as quality either.

It is and most likely will continue to get better. But taking to long to do so could be costly.

Thank you for coments and essential feedback on the latest issue, there are always notes I make when I finally get an issue out and happily will take negatives and positives from each issue. Distribution was increased again in this issue as we try to match demand. The albino was a very hard piece to put together due to the large number of herpers to collect images, text etc and the other photographers required to get the issue in time....Whew.

The Thick tail gecko piece I think was a good detailed work finished off with a wide range of animals some never seen before. I was hoping you would all have commented on the Chameleons of Madasgascar poster ....Any feedback on the poster would be great. Reptiles Australia is very young compared to other mags and has been a proven successful Australian product and is written by you Aussie writers, images from Aussie photographers and is printed in Australia by you for you. How lucky you guys are to have such a great friendly forum APS to turn to and discuss all things herps.........

Pop in one time, I will give you some slate.:p

i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
would love it even more if it was monthly

The US Reptiles mag has excellent articles on Australian species on a regular basis, i find the articles to be far more in-depth, compared to RA.

Although RA is very glossy ;)

It is bit harsh to compare US magazine with extremely large customer range with australian magazine.
There is just not enough hobbyists in Australia to give same financial support.

The US magazine is great, but it is US magazine not our.

What volome are they up to?

Cheers

Donk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back