Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it legal to commercially breed reptiles in new south wales?

Large scale breeding of womas sounds like a business.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rough Scaled Pythons anybody?

I wonder if the person or persons who has the roughys paid for the animals originally or got a permit to collect them and then decided they would charge the earth for them.........mmmmmmmmmm, nice

I wonder if the person or persons who has the roughys paid for the animals originally or got a permit to collect them and then decided they would charge the earth for them.........
Of course! :p
large scale commercial breeding and retail of high quality, higly sought after reptiles ...

Nope it's not, and good point... though it does make sense. If it wasn't for the park I would say maybe he's planning on relocating... :S

JunglePython said:

Gee!, how did you know they are in NSW? :roll:

Come onHerptader the jokes is over, start putting the NSW locations in the ads. Your only fooling yourselves now.

GTP's are still the ultimate but the second pic on herp trader looks sick!!!!!
I wouldn't pay 24 grand for them though!

Gee!, how did you know they are in NSW?

Come on Herptader the jokes is over, start putting the NSW locations in the ads. Your only fooling yourselves now.
It's hardly herptrader's decision! Have a chat to whichever NSW government regulatory body it is involved... I wouldn't want my (NSW) location up there, because then I'd be the one who'd get in the ****. The situation as it is at the moment is completely workable, anyway.

venom8 said:
I wonder if the person or persons who has the roughys paid for the animals originally or got a permit to collect them and then decided they would charge the earth for them.........mmmmmmmmmm, nice

Nope...the original adults were collected to establish breedings in captivity. He is not just trying to make a quick buck.

These snakes can only be offered by John Weigel it's obvious...noone else would have any captive bred stock, let alone 2nd generation. All those pics are from the ARP's Rough Scale library aswell.

As far as snakes go though, they look a bit plain to me. I've always said that I'd like some but they just look boring. Unless you're actually touching them all the time (which you couldn't do as you'd probably stress them to death) you wouldn't even notice a special difference between them and any other python.

The ones at ARP are in a lovely huge enclosure with fake rock ledges, pool etc and the room is kept relatively dark (sorta dusk-time). I've sat for hours before and they have never moved while I've been there. At least the GTP will do something.

Simon Archibald

It is not us, it is the NSW government that has restrictions on the advertising of protected species.

You work for a government organisation. Why don't you talk to them and try and get them to change the rules?

peterescue said:
JunglePython said:

Gee!, how did you know they are in NSW? :roll:

Come onHerptader the jokes is over, start putting the NSW locations in the ads. Your only fooling yourselves now.

Sorry but you do not come under the NSW NPWS. Your are a Victorian company.
ps. I am employed by the Federal Government.

hey_im_sam said:
Gee!, how did you know they are in NSW?

Come on Herptader the jokes is over, start putting the NSW locations in the ads. Your only fooling yourselves now.
It's hardly herptrader's decision! Have a chat to whichever NSW government regulatory body it is involved... I wouldn't want my (NSW) location up there, because then I'd be the one who'd get in the poo. The situation as it is at the moment is completely workable, anyway.

So how do you explain Australian Herp Classifieds then?

http://www.reptilesdownunder.com/ahc/

Who has 12 Womas or 24 BHP's to swap for these??? I would love a pair but even if i did have that many Womas or BHP's, bit i don't think i would be willing to give them away just for two Rough Scaled Pythons. Who would??

I mean they are nice but if a non herp friend walked in and saw it he/she would be like nice snake, not a very good reaction for some snakes that cost you 24k. I would much prefer a pair of GTP's in a good display tank...

There are already people in NSW who make a living breeding and selling reptiles, and that is all they do. Whether the tax man is involved or not it is stll a business, NSW laws just make it so it is a non official business. I am definately in the wrong state. The government get's three bites through my cherry with royalties on collecting, royalties on exporting, and then the good old Grab Snatch Take.
Good luck to those who can avoid it.

Just because you breed snakes for a living does not mean you need to have a commercial breeders licence I know of some in Victoria with large operations that still trade using a private keepers licence. I would expect that they would pay their taxes as a business.

In Victoria, and I believe other states, one of the main differences between a commercial and private licence is the amount of time you have to hold the animal before you sell it. A commercial licence holder can buy and sell on the same day where as the private licence holder has to hold on to an animal for 6 months. If you are mainly into breeding this restriction will not affect you much.+

Dave, if you want to know what John Weigel is up to, try asking him direct. Its not for me to say what he is up too, as its his business, not mine. :D

Guys, as long as you have a reptile keepers licence here in NSW, it is totally legal to breed as many reptiles as you want and sell them to the public.

What is illegal at this stage, is being a reptile dealer.ie the buying and reselling for a profit within the 6 month period. It is also illegal to sell reptiles through pet shops or News Paper Adds.

What's the go, bigguy, once you pass the threshold for profit earned from a hobby? Surely once you start making too much money they tax you, right...? And how do you pay tax on a large amount of money coming in, if not through an ABN?

:) Ime glad that they are being bred in captivity,but they will never set the world on fire as an attractive species.Rather have a gtp anyday wherever it came from. :lol: :lol:

Sam,
How would the Australian Tax Office have any idea how much you have recieved for the sales of any animals?

Simon Archibald

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rough Scaled Pythons anybody?

hey_im_sam said:
What's the go, bigguy, once you pass the threshold for profit earned from a hobby? Surely once you start making too much money they tax you, right...? And how do you pay tax on a large amount of money coming in, if not through an ABN?

oo oo oo can I jump in here since I'm an accountant? finally feel like I can contribute something :p

Hobby income generally becomes real income at about $20,000 which is when you can start claiming losses (generally)...You'd be paying your tax if you were smart by Instalments each quarter or just be slapped with one nice big tax bill at the end...Having an ABN would indicate you're carrying on a business and since you can't commercially take on reptiles as a commercial enterprise in NSW I can't see how you could do this without NPWS raising an eyebrow at you...I would imagine that all the income would go into "Other Income" but having put the income in your return you'd be laughing at being able to claim any herp related purchases (including herps themselves) as a tax deduction.

EDIT: Simon, they have no idea...Just like companies do cashie jobs they have no idea but if you get busted you can kiss your **** goodbye.

EDIT 2: Also, if you fail to put the income in and they catch you what they'll do is look at your assets and lifestyle and give you a deemed tax assessment for every year you haven't paid the correct amount. It's what they do with drug dealers when they bust them as even though drug dealing is illegal you still have to enter the income in the tax return (legally)

Re: RE: Rough Scaled Pythons anybody?

Simon_Archibald said:
Sam,
How would the Australian Tax Office have any idea how much you have recieved for the sales of any animals?

Simon Archibald

When your lifestyle exceeds your income. That's how they normally bust drug dealers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back