Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly wouldn't want to get bitten by one, if they do hunt prey on the wing they would propbably hang on hard if they get a hold.

look like a bredli cross stimmy with an oversized head. very nice. what were they like to handle?

Good to handle. Obviously the feel of them is different. Otherwise, they behaved just like any other python. I like them cause they are rare, and still pure.
I wonder how long before some yank crosses one with GTP.

africancichlidau said:
The thing that amazes me is that they are still available..... or are they?

There has been lots of interest but to my knowledge there is still some still available.

look at the damn eyes on the thing they r awesome

"Top photo!!!", that is a awesome snake, wish the price wasn't as awesome"......Thanks for that.

They are very similar to the South American tree boas, thin body, huge head and eyes long curved teeth and even the markings are similar.

Stop saying good things about them, Im starting to like them to much and I Know Im never gonna have the squid to pay for one. Also how do the seppo's have them allready? Must be some pretty comitted poachers out there. Dosent it have a distribution of three eights of bugger all. Or is my info outdated and they've been found elsewhere. Most of the one's the yanks would have would be wild caught wouldn't they?

moosenoose said:
boa said:
They seem to have teeth reminiscent of the green tree boa, ideal for catching birds and bats on the wing.

:lol: Maybe that's what I'm thinking of? Anyway...sharp!..and big :lol:

The other theory I have heard is that the rats they feed on have loose fur which falls out easily. The long teeth have evolved to allow them to penetrate past the fur when they strike.

Interestingly I think they are now being considered as a close relative of the GTP and have very similar husbandry requirements.

Has anybody heard of them being in collections out side of Australia? (I haven't.)

womas4me said:
Good to handle. Obviously the feel of them is different. Otherwise, they behaved just like any other python. I like them cause they are rare, and still pure.
I wonder how long before some yank crosses one with GTP.

A pair was was sold from weigal to reptile gardens in the usa which is a another reptile park.

I'm not that fussed about them, as I said before I think a lot of it is because of their rarity value. I have heard that their range isn't as small as first thought and they aren't as rare as first thought either. Hopefully the moneymen wont have all of them and they will be more sensibly priced than GTP in the future.

Trouser said:
Stop saying good things about them, Im starting to like them to much and I Know Im never gonna have the squid to pay for one. Also how do the seppo's have them allready? Must be some pretty comitted poachers out there. Dosent it have a distribution of three eights of bugger all. Or is my info outdated and they've been found elsewhere. Most of the one's the yanks would have would be wild caught wouldn't they?

There s a guy in NSW who found out where they were and illegally collected some, one i believe, possibly more. He then declared them in one of the amnesty's.
If they continue breeding as well as they are then i believe there will be a large amount available in time. Others will end up collecting more and the gene pool will increase also. Will be interesting to revisit the captive numbers in 15 years. I hope the studbook program works well. It is a great opportunity to have all the info of parentage, matings etc of a captive species.

Is that how people get new species into the hands of people like us? If so Im goin to get some oenpelli's just before the next amnesty. Just kidding... Thats illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back