Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just letting you all no on here you are aloud to do it :) there is a person you need to speek to and they will write out a forum and a few other little things need to be done as well

Post up some details later with the number and department etc. Good on you Jake. 8)

hi all. If your in NSW you can display them, but you cannot get paid to do a 'Show' like an exhibitor where you get paid to do it.

All you have to do is email the proper authorities and outline exactly what, where, when, and why you are taking species.
It usually takes approx 3 days to be approved if all goes well.
Its a Bit of of paper work but well worth the time and effort. Hope this has helped a bit. :)

Last edited:
Who is the relevent authority to ok it in NSW Fangs? Is it NPWS or Envirnment, Climate Change and Water? We have been talking about a school show and tell for our kids etc so payment was never a thought anyway.

Haha I new I was RIGHT haha first time for everything I guess

Who is the relevent authority to ok it in NSW Fangs? Is it NPWS or Envirnment, Climate Change and Water? We have been talking about a school show and tell for our kids etc so payment was never a thought anyway.
Licensing or Environment

Last edited:
Thanks Fangs, I just got off the phone with them actually while following up a couple of things.

Here in NSW you need to send an email to wildlife.licensing@environment.nsw.gov.au and outline your activity in writing. Each case is considered on its own merits and so permission is not a garanty but if it gets approved it takes about three days and they will let you know. By the sounds of the people I spoke to something as simple as taking a Spotted Python into a school for a quick 'show and tell' is not a problem and permission will be granted. Larger snakes may not be so easy but she sis say it depends on how you present your case. So if you can show that you have thought about risk assessment etc you should be pretty well ok.

Anyone who knows me already knows what my opinion is on this topic. A pet dog, for instance, at a show & tell could always end in a far worse injury. Just more ignorance and fear being thrown around by the clueless big wigs.

It's funny all these people that have said stuff on here about the show and tell have been wrong well there not WRONG but in fact there is a person you can speek to that will let it happen just are rules ect...

Thanks Fangs, I just got off the phone with them actually while following up a couple of things.

Here in NSW you need to send an email to wildlife.licensing@environment.nsw.gov.au and outline your activity in writing. Each case is considered on its own merits and so permission is not a garanty but if it gets approved it takes about three days and they will let you know. By the sounds of the people I spoke to something as simple as taking a Spotted Python into a school for a quick 'show and tell' is not a problem and permission will be granted. Larger snakes may not be so easy but she sis say it depends on how you present your case. So if you can show that you have thought about risk assessment etc you should be pretty well ok.

No worries, they r great there especially Alan, so much patience!

But the obvious is you wont take in a red belly or a snappy dragon. Common sense I say. :)

Teaching kids a bit of understanding of our natives can one day also help educate with domestic cat and dog attacks on our wildlife. Keep those cats indoors, I drill into them lol
but good on you for expressing interest the worst they can say is no!

It's funny all these people that have said stuff on here about the show and tell have been wrong well there not WRONG but in fact there is a person you can speek to that will let it happen just are rules ect...

what you are speaking of is called an "authorised display" as i stated earlier.its quite easy to get permission ,its just a bit of a hassle.we did our first 2 expos under an "authorised display" but it comes with conditions .

see now i really don't want to move interstate.....the laws on this are so lax that and i'm known around the NPWSA for some of the good stuff i've done regarding exotics and bad husbandry.

what you are speaking of is called an "authorised display" as i stated earlier.its quite easy to get permission ,its just a bit of a hassle.we did our first 2 expos under an "authorised display" but it comes with conditions .

What do you do your expos under now ? Or do u still do it under the same ?

slimebo, I think Jake was referring to the people who basically said it's a 'no no' and don't even think about doing it. The other thing is that the conditions and hassles aren't really that big a deal for what we were talking about all along which is a 10 or 20 min visit to one classroom, certainly here in NSW the hassles are negligible... one quick email. Long and short of it is you can do it and you can do it legally if you really want to make it happen, regardless of the state you are living in.

slimebo, I think Jake was referring to the people who basically said it's a 'no no' and don't even think about doing it. The other thing is that the conditions and hassles aren't really that big a deal for what we were talking about all along which is a 10 or 20 min visit to one classroom, certainly here in NSW the hassles are negligible... one quick email. Long and short of it is you can do it and you can do it legally if you really want to make it happen, regardless of the state you are living in.

Well said gruni

No offence to you fangs. But most teachers are bloody weirdos.

i am, that is certain, but most of the people i work with seem relatively normal...
if you're gonna have a dig, why not dwell on the spelling used instead, like this: "two teachers on this thread have used principle rather than principal..."

back on topic, i have taken animals to my school, and will quite likely do so again, irrespective of the opinion of any of you or the so called authorities. I fully support anyone in the education game who does likewise in a responsible manner.

Hey Jack, maybe you could be a teacher on here as well & teach us all how to spell & puch-uate etc.LOL.

Cheers
Ian
Some of these posts must crack you up.

i am quite forgiving of most typo's and simple spelling errors, indeed in my own posts i ignore much grammar myself (sic).... thus will not be correcting anyone.

if, however, you post text speak i immediately decide you are quite likely an idiot or perhaps an imbecile, a moron at the very least

You had me worried Jack and made me go back and check but the one reference I made to the executive I used 'principal'... phew. I usually look back over my stuff and look for typos and will usually go back in and edit if I post and then notice it. :lol:

I try to leave the teacher at work when I go on line and as much as I bite my tongue I cringe at the wrong use of 'there/their/they're' could 'of' and the use of textese like ne1. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back