Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what am i Jack? My Grandma is ok.
I hope yours is as well & i hope you are as well. I don't think that you are a wierdo, but you are a teacher & i reckon that you would have to have a special gift or the right mentality to do so.
It is just like i take my hat off to the ambulance officers & firemen that do it day in day out without any reckognition (if that is right jack) so i take my hat off to teachers. Who could put up with all that screaming mob that don't want to learn & just have fun day in & day out.
I bet you look forward to getting home to your critters. LOL.

Cheers
Ian

I have just lost what you guys are on about HAHAHA just went over my head..

i text all day and i type how i text sorry that i text how i talk but most of the time i use tapatalk think that is the app so in a way yes i am texting and im sorry for that... (is this what you are on about ?)lol if not im so lost in this convo

I have just lost what you guys are on about HAHAHA just went over my head..

i text all day and i type how i text sorry that i text how i talk but most of the time i use tapatalk think that is the app so in a way yes i am texting and im sorry for that... (is this what you are on about ?)lol if not im so lost in this convo

I think you are fine Dude,
Cheers
Ian

Hey guys, during cyclone yasi i had to leave my house to go to my girlfriends parents place to help out there. I was worried about leaving my animals at myhouse due to the possible loss of power, and also the risk of something happening to the house and having my animals hurt. I decided to take them with me, I didnt ask anyone for permission, i had no movement advice and my girlfriend isnt a vet. Am I a bad person?

U are fine :) surely they wouldn't do you for that :)

Always has to be a grinch on here!!

Meh stick to the topic or go to the naughty corner!

Just for the record, I never said it was impossible - I said there are rules in place.

But to just wake up one morning and decide you are going to take your reptiles to a classroom full of children is definitely a 'no-no' as Gruni puts it...

I still haven't gotten an answer for my question though.. "What happens if your snake bites a student?" I don't think speaking to DERM and signing one or 2 papers is going to cover you for that..?

You have no public liability insurance, and unless you get all the parents, the teacher(s) and principal to sign some sort of waiver or document stating they are there at their own risk etc. it could backfire on you..

I also think that passing such a document around would put some parents off letting their child attend if it had words like "at your own risk" or "if something should happen as these are still typically wild animals..." and so on.

Can any demonstrators confirm, deny, or elaborate on this?

Actually if you have a clearance from the licensing authority and you then speak to the principal of the school and are given the ok the department of Ed liability covers the student as it then becomes a school activity. The individual school may ask that a permission slip go home but it is dobtful for the activity we are discussing. The school will expect you to show them what risk assessment you have in place and I think you are being pissy about this as a show and tell where it is clear that the students remain in their seat and it is a 'no hands on' presentation there is zero chance of a student getting tagged.

BTW I am not taking an educated guess I have 18 years experience in the department and know that it will not come back on you if you properly organise it. We are not talking about walking in, out of the blue, and plonking a snake in the middle of a group of kids. You may not have said it was impossible but talk about a wet blanket to what would be an awesome experience for the kids. Go back to the original posts and put it in perspective, Jake and I did not suggest this was a reptile display the way the wildlife parks etc run when they come to the schools.

Yes we suggested not pursuing the relevent channels and are thankful to the people who pointed us in the right direction, as you can see we have both followed it up and found the answers we needed. Thanks for the support from those who gave it we are some of the last bastions stopping our society from turning into a complete 'Nanny State'.

I also think that passing such a document around would put some parents off letting their child attend if it had words like "at your own risk" or "if something should happen as these are still typically wild animals..." and so on.

For a start you would not word it like that. You ask whether the parents give permission for students to attend a presenation of reptiles at the school run by 'X' and that the show may involve the oportunity to handle some of the non-venomous exhibits.

As I said the department has Pub Liability for school events and a show like you are talking about would only really be run by a licensed exhibiter but I am sure Scott could clarify that element of things.

Last edited:
Basically if you work for the public you require your own public liability. Being sanctioned by the school means little if there is nothing in the school's policy about incursions with animals. Some of the high schools may have this though especially if they have an ag science section.

Another point (I raised this earlier) is why you must have permission from your local authority is to make the "demo" legal. Illegal activities will not be covered by the school's p l insurance.

It's good to see that this thread has got people at least thinking about a few things and hopefully more than few students can be introduced to the wonders of Australian wildlife

Cheers
Scott

Basically if you work for the public you require your own public liability. Being sanctioned by the school means little if there is nothing in the school's policy about incursions with animals. Some of the high schools may have this though especially if they have an ag science section.

Another point (I raised this earlier) is why you must have permission from your local authority is to make the "demo" legal. Illegal activities will not be covered by the school's p l insurance.

It's good to see that this thread has got people at least thinking about a few things and hopefully more than few students can be introduced to the wonders of Australian wildlife

Cheers
Scott

Thats right, at the end of the day if you can be bothered with all the paperwork , go for gold - Like i have. Because i think its worth it.
But if not, then so be it.

Just for the record, I never said it was impossible - I said there are rules in place.

But to just wake up one morning and decide you are going to take your reptiles to a classroom full of children is definitely a 'no-no' as Gruni puts it...

I still haven't gotten an answer for my question though.. "What happens if your snake bites a student?" I don't think speaking to DERM and signing one or 2 papers is going to cover you for that..?

You have no public liability insurance, and unless you get all the parents, the teacher(s) and principal to sign some sort of waiver or document stating they are there at their own risk etc. it could backfire on you..

a student shouldnt be bitten cause of the fact its a hands off so it would be your fault i guess .. but its usually a hand off thing ... You could say the same about aus zoo what if one of there show snakes bit guest ???

Jake

I can assure you Australia zoo has public liability insurance just for that reason. Children especially do not always follow the rules laid out. It is the skill of the demonstrator to be able to predict both the audience and the animals they are using to assist in the prevention of bites. As for it's going to be strictly hands off, if you misjudge the strike distance and a child happens to be too close it can result in a bite.

Good luck with your show and tell I am sure it will be a hit and great for the kids

Cheers
scott

Yer I would under stand with a big snake but I'm only takeing in a 6-9 month old snake :)

Jake, relax, make it happen and post a thread about how well it goes off. :)

If this is the snake your having trouble with biting and you not understanding why please do not take this critter into a class room full of kids!

This will do our hobby no favours if it starts to bite and draw blood in a public situation!

Jake

I can assure you Australia zoo has public liability insurance just for that reason. Children especially do not always follow the rules laid out. It is the skill of the demonstrator to be able to predict both the audience and the animals they are using to assist in the prevention of bites. As for it's going to be strictly hands off, if you misjudge the strike distance and a child happens to be too close it can result in a bite.

Good luck with your show and tell I am sure it will be a hit and great for the kids

Cheers
scott

Thanks for the info. throughout this thread, Scott.

Jake, relax, make it happen and post a thread about how well it goes off. :)

All the best to him mate, I'm not trying to tell him not to bother or pursue it - I just hope he goes about it the right way, that's all.

If this is the snake your having trouble with biting and you not understanding why please do not take this critter into a class room full of kids!

This will do our hobby no favours if it starts to bite and draw blood in a public situation!

I just saw that thread and was about to ask the same thing stimigex..

Yer I'm haveing trouble with my other snake. Most people do have a few more then just one snake

And u are right who in there right mind would take a biteing snake to school I'm not a d******d :)

Last edited:
Sam my post wasn't aimed at you. Jake is reacting a bit strongly at the moment. We have highlighted the issues and sorted out the technicalities I would just like to see Jake move on with things and let us all know how it went.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would take a cranky snake out in public so lets just drop it and move along. The same with the whole insurance thing as that will be sorted out as soon as the school is consulted and they look into their procedures. I spoke to the principal yesterday at my son's school and she was very happy about it and said that she would follow up on the Dept requirements for me and I am sure the same will happen in Jake's case.

Yer I spoke to the teach of my brothers class and she said no problem and so did the head person ... So next week it will be ...

The answer to this topic is YES you can take your snake to show and tell just need to fill out some paper work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back