Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm in Brisneyland, and I just took 4 pythons and 2 dragons for show and tell for my two boys - one in year 4, one in year 7.
Teachers were great and very supportive and interested. Both teachers felt it was a great opportunity for the students.
There were no incidences, it was very much a "hands off" show and tell - a couple of the kids asked to "pat" the non business end of a couple of the snakes, and that was fine. The kids also patted the bigger of the two dragons and loved it.
I would hope that I have now played some (very small) part in inspiring a whole new batch of young herpers, as there were many questions about husbandry and "how do I get one". I was impressed with how senisble the questions were.
I have a feeling that the teachers may ask us back in the future, and I will gladly facilitate that.
It's a matter of being sensible. Thats all.
Hope it goes equally as well for you Jake, look forward to hearing how it went.

Well, I'm in Brisneyland, and I just took 4 pythons and 2 dragons for show and tell for my two boys - one in year 4, one in year 7.
Teachers were great and very supportive and interested. Both teachers felt it was a great opportunity for the students.
There were no incidences, it was very much a "hands off" show and tell - a couple of the kids asked to "pat" the non business end of a couple of the snakes, and that was fine. The kids also patted the bigger of the two dragons and loved it.
I would hope that I have now played some (very small) part in inspiring a whole new batch of young herpers, as there were many questions about husbandry and "how do I get one". I was impressed with how senisble the questions were.
I have a feeling that the teachers may ask us back in the future, and I will gladly facilitate that.
It's a matter of being sensible. Thats all.
Hope it goes equally as well for you Jake, look forward to hearing how it went.

Thanks alot :)

Did all the kids ask any questions ?
If so what was the funniest one :D

Loads of questions!! They were very interested in how you get temps right, if they drink, where they sleep etc.
Funniest question was from a red faced boy who asked me very politely if snakes "poop" and "how does it get out"....

Loads of questions!! They were very interested in how you get temps right, if they drink, where they sleep etc.
Funniest question was from a red faced boy who asked me very politely if snakes "poop" and "how does it get out"....

HAHAHA legend question lol

Picked up my Mac this morning and having a great chat there with two very experienced herpers. One had been chatting to the guys at NPWS and they want us to email and organise these sorts of things as much as possible because it lets them build up a body of evidence they can then use to convince the minister to amend the license legislation by showing that those of us who hold a license wold like to be able to do this sort of stuff and would like a little more room to move within the general conditions of the licenses we hold.

My fav "QUOTE" was from one of my 9 year old students, and super confident " you cannot hold the blue tongue lizard because they are very poisonous and will make you vomit if our hold them " Gold!

The kids loved it when I took the snake in to show and tell they could get enough of it lol they had some many questions was crazy :) lucky I have been doing quite a bit of research on pythons/ some other snake lateley other wise I would looked stupid lol.
Really did love going

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One question that got asked like 5 times what how much doesn't cost for a reptile lincence . You could so see they were going home to ask there parents hahaha

Few asked if I have been bitten and ask if it was venomous haha there were a few kids been looking at snakes and reptiles in there class and then I came in they were pretty happy :D but yer asked how much they eat. Was a good day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ha ha! Good one Jake! It's awesome isn't it? Really glad to hear it went so well for you. It's so important to educate kids properly about our native reps. Hopefully we've both done our bit to spark off a whole new generation of herpers! ;)

Yer well my mum is a teacher at the same school and she was saying some other teacher would like me to come in one time in the next 6 months of so :D so yer... But I don't no what the go is if there is only so many times u can go in or something so I said just give it some months and I'll try again :D

I don't think there would be any real limit Jake, our local guys want us to apply for these sorts of permits so they can build a case to get the minister to amend the license so that one day we may not need to apply at all so go for it; the worst they can do is say no and the school could look at having you show two classes at once which would reduce the number of times you would need to go up.

Yer well I think they pushed another class in the room lol :) was good very good

I took Skittles in for show and tell today. The kids were so wrapped. I did my daughter's year 4 class first but was only given about 15mins so it got a bit rushed as the scripture class were cueing up to use the room. Quite a few of the kids in her class have either snakes or lizards already. Skye even commented on how settled they were compared to usual. One of her little class mates ran up to me down town and told me what a beautiful snake Skittles is.

Riley's year 6 cass wre next and I had 3/4 of an hour with them and finished right on the bell. :D They were full of questions and loved every minute of the presentation. His teacher was more into it too which helped. I love when they ask if he is venemous but the GOLD award question was how do they poo? The girl didn't notice a bum hole when I walked around with Skittles and even said... 'I mean do they poo out their mouth or something?' I then explained about the cloaca and where to find it and the penie sheath and that the urate and poo come out the same hole. It really wasn't such a silly question when you think about it and when she said about the mouth she really meant 'surely they don't poo out their mouth.'

Skittles was a bit freaked out in the first showing and held on tight to my watch, he was back in the click clack for about half an hour when I got him out for Riley and he didn't grab hold but after a lap of the room he coiled up and did a couple of bluff strikes at me which impressed (and worried) the kids quite a bit. When I got him home he shot into his hide and stayed there sulking for two hours until I gave hime some fresh water and he came out to check on what I had 'tampered with'. :)

P2260027.JPGP2260028.JPGP2260029.JPGP2260030.JPGP2260031.JPGP2260032.JPG

Thats great I had a ball when I did it haha :) I'm going back tomorro a teacher has asked me to come in for there calls cause they are looking at reptiles :) so I can't wait to go again but I have a bit of a better under standing of how u could do it better then befor :)

The kids looks like they love it :)

Yeah I didn't realise really until I looked at the pics and saw how excited the kids looked. As you can see in the background Skye's teacher really wasn't very interested at all.:D

Last edited:
Glad you found out how to do this with permission. If you contact the licensing authorities in advance, they are usually willing to allow you to do a demo if you have permission. If you want to let kids touch the herps, have a demonstrator come in because they have the right license. If you want to keep a rep at school, it is well worth going through the ethics applications, etc. I have done so and the herps at our school (3 pythons, 2 dragons) really add to the educational experience.

Glad you found out how to do this with permission. If you contact the licensing authorities in advance, they are usually willing to allow you to do a demo if you have permission. If you want to let kids touch the herps, have a demonstrator come in because they have the right license. If you want to keep a rep at school, it is well worth going through the ethics applications, etc. I have done so and the herps at our school (3 pythons, 2 dragons) really add to the educational experience.

Was looking the other week how you do a demonstrat course would be so good but I think I need to do another course first after our baby comes in 20 days will be looking right in to it would be great :)

7cb9d8c6-2c44-dcef.jpg

:D went to year 4 to day and and stoped in at the class I went last time and they gave me a card they made for me :D was great good after noon yet again think I will give Charlie a few days to keep to him self :)

Last edited:
Well done, always gets the kiddies excited to see a big lizard or snake :)

Hence, my encouragement for show and tell of these beauties :) good work

Love the cards Jake. Riley said 'Thanks for bringing Skittles in, it meant we didn't have to write a exposition and got to write something interesting. Why do snakes make good pets? I agreed of course because they are quiet and relaxing to watch...'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back