Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakelady96

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering what is all your opinions on scrub pythons? I know alot of people dont like them and i can understand why but id like some people to share their good and bad experiences. Thought it might be a bit interesting, was on the phone today and the fella says 4 people have been killed in Australia by scrub pythons, i have no doubt hes wrong. But on the other hand they can be just as placid as say a spotted or woma python with the right handling regularly. So share your thoughts and experiences, this should be interesting :)

Well I have had Scrubbies for years and they are like any other snake Its all in the way you handle them and the way you feed them is most important. I never feed my Scrubbies when first opening the cage, always get them out or just touching them first and then feed after awhile that way the snake doesn't always think opening the door means food. I also never feed live food , that way no need to kill , my biggest Scrubbie is 4.2 m and 30 kgs, he was a biter when I got him as the people that had him were scared of him but no he is ok, just heavy and large. There is always a chance that he will be bite but so does elapids. it's all in the treatment

IMG00142-20100130-1139.jpgTreat them as you would an adult Olive, disrespect them or become complacent and you will be reminded of their ability to inflict a very nasty bite and you run the risk of being overpowered by them. My boy is a gentle giant, but if I were to put him in a situation where he isn't comfortable or approach him wrongly whilst in feeding mode and I have no doubt he would react accordingly. In my opinion they are a great python to have in your collection as long as you are aware of what they are capable of and have the expierience with large pythons and you will have little to no problems.

IMG00142-20100130-1139.jpg

Lovely scrub python you have there! I agree that they should not be feared by stories that have been heard but must be treated with the up most respect and you will have your friend for life- if they dont outlive you with their long life span. My younger male scrubbie is 18 months old and about 2.8-3m. He litterally JUST shed his skin and its about a metre longer than me and im about 1.7m (sorry not good with 'feet') I treat him as if hes my best mate, handle him almost every day. He eats frozen jumbo rats at this stage, he does sometimes mistake me for the rat but with his pleasant attitude i know he is not intending to attack me.

I adore them. Everything about them is just magic, but I would never ever own one. Not because of the way they are, but the way I am. I'm fine with Antaresia, Aspidites and Liasis (but I'm not big enough to handle a full-grown Olive, the last time I tried with my in-laws she made me see spots just trying to grip onto my chest, and she wasn't even as big as she is now so I have to 'buddy-up' and pick heads or tails lol...), but for some reason carpets get me on edge. I love them to bits, love the colours, the personalities, everything, but if I hold one for more than a minute I start to panic a little and have to hand them on. Until that feeling's in check I'm afraid I'll just have to love from afar, but I'm content with that for now :)
I wish I knew why, but no matter. I'll get over it eventually, I'm sure.

It's always magical to see a scrubby in the wild. I have an absolute love for them, but wouldn't dream of keeping one. They're just such a wild species - so unpredictable and they're big enough that they know that they don't really have to worry about humans all that much. For some reason I would feel bad keeping a scrubby whereas I wouldn't keeping just about any other Aussie python (maybe an Oenpilli, but they're not captive yet)
I really respect people who do keep them though :)

I have recently got a pair. their only 12 months old, I find that they are very cage defensive, but all huff and puff. To be honest, they are very clumsy strikers! Once their out, their good, ones a bit temperamental, but good. They like to urinate a lot too, haha..

Respecting them is the key, don't make sudden movements or any wrong moves, then they love to be out and about. I find that respectively handling them, is what needs to be done, but it's not like you would handle at Childrens or a coastal.

It's the voice in the back of your mind that makes you nervous, knowing that it can lash out at anytime, they can be hard to read, they can be turned one way, and randomly take a lunge at the hand that is holding them. They can be very intimidating at times, as they will stare you in the eyes, and no matter how you move, they will follow your eyes.

I am yet to have full trust in them, even though I respect the species and know that they are a different ball game to the smaller python species. They are unpredictable. But with a lot of experience and time handling, they will become predictable.

In my opinion, their definitely not a begginners snake, but their not something to be feared, with experience, they are perfect for anyone, aslong as they have the respect and love for them. I mean, I'm only 16, with only 4 years of experience under my belt, but I've learnt a lot.

And when they are the size of an adult, as stated, 30kgs, thats not always a lot, but with a length of 5 meters and the massive strength, you should always have a second person on hand.

Their a beautiful snake, if not the best Australia has to offer.

Lovely scrub python you have there! I agree that they should not be feared by stories that have been heard but must be treated with the up most respect and you will have your friend for life- if they dont outlive you with their long life span. My younger male scrubbie is 18 months old and about 2.8-3m. He litterally JUST shed his skin and its about a metre longer than me and im about 1.7m (sorry not good with 'feet') I treat him as if hes my best mate, handle him almost every day. He eats frozen jumbo rats at this stage, he does sometimes mistake me for the rat but with his pleasant attitude i know he is not intending to attack me.

This reminds me a bit of the recent 'feeding the Lacie' thread. A nice Lacie can be a big puppydog... until something triggers a change. These animals are similar in their potential to do significant damage if they bite, and if a large one combines the bite with a squeeze, you could be in serious trouble indeed. There has been at least one human death caused by a large scrub python in this country.

Take them for granted at your peril - "he does sometimes mistake me for the rat but with his pleasant attitude i know he is not intending to attack me" is just taking a very big risk, and demonstrating that you have very little understanding of the nature of large pythons.

Don't get me wrong, I have a pair myself and I think they are very attractive animals, but I NEVER attribute them with 'human' behaviour. If you do get a decent (and possibly life threatening) feeding bite from your Scrub Python that has "a pleasant attitude" and even if he wasn't intending to attack you, it won't make much difference in the end. You'll still end up with a serious injury which will be caused by your complete lack of understanding of the nature of the species...

Jamie

I have seen a guy bitten by a large scrubby in his face. It was horrible! The snake had its jaws wrapped around the bloke's face and in order to unhook those curved teeth, we had to push his face further in before pulling it our of the snake's grip. The cuts were pretty deep and he was lucky that he didn't loose his eyes. Had he been alone, he would have probably died. IHow did it happen? the fella waved a chicken in from of the snakes snout, the scrubby went for the choock, missed and .... you know the rest. It was a full-on feeding bite followed by strangulation - the scrubby was normally a very docile, easy to handle snake.

That's what happens when inexperienced people, who desperately want their snake to be their "best mate" misjudge a potentially dangerous animal. You cannot attribute human characteristics to potentially dangerous reptiles - "not intending to attack me" is shorthand for "I actually know nothing about reptiles, but I really, really want my big snake to love me as much as I love him, so I'll forgive him his mistakes..."

Not good for the snake, not good for you, and definitely not good for the hobby when you cop a serious bite...

Jamie

I see where your coming from and just for the record I do actually consider myself to know a bit about reptiles but if you think otherwise it might be pleasant to keep it to yourself? :) I see from everyone's point of view that how I treat my younger scrubby is stupid but you really have to see him in real life to understand how placid he really is. I know as he gets older things will most likely change and he'll grow into a big angry monster but not in every case. I just like to make the most of him being this way when he's young so if anyone disagrees with how I do things that's fine I know my method of keeping snakes is different to most people's but sorry that's just how I am. I will admit I treat all my animals not just reptiles like they are my kids/ best friends and I have to say I think I achieve quite well from doing this :) but anyways the thread was aimed at sharing your experiences :)

Can I ask how old you are snakelady96, and how long you've been keeping reptiles?

Jamie

Can I ask how old you are snakelady96, and how long you've been keeping reptiles?

Jamie

I've definitely been wondering the same thing. I know I was only born in 95', and I own scrubbies, mine are only young, I have many mentors and well experience snake keeps, some of the best, to help me.

With some of the help threads and issues I have seen Snakelady with, a Scrubbie seems a massive handful, especially at that size.

snakelady96

May you always remain unharmed .. sooner or later you must realise the beast you are dealing with.

Some years ago a friend bought a hatchling scrubbie, gorgeous little guy, very nice natured, etc. We all loved Samson :)

BUT...by the time he was 2 yrs.old and nearing 14 ft. He definately needed at least 2 experienced adults to help his owner clean his enclouse and his stinky turds were as big as elephants .... he ate 5-6 large rats weekly.
And he def. was a good natured boy, but big strong and very heavy, just helping out with this boy made me realise what an awesome powerful animal we were dealing with.
Please don't become defensive when experienced people are offering opinions.
Perhaps we can't put an old head on young shoulders.
Cheers
Sandee :)

PICT0012 (Small).JPGDSC02642 (Small).JPG

Unreal snake to own so long as you show them respect .My girl is getting better with her attitude but i will never trust her or let my guard down around her .

Someone I know was feeding their scrub python a large rat. The scrubby over shot the rat resulting in a food response bite to the hand which in-turn resulted in quiet a few stitches. They do require respect and are not a cuddly pet.

Joemal, how can you afford to feed that? Do the local cats and dogs go missing all the time?:D
Honestly for a snake that size what is the average dinner consist of?

Cheers and that is one awesome snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back