Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG00134-20100130-1120.jpgIMG00136-20100130-1121.jpg
Joemal, how can you afford to feed that? Do the local cats and dogs go missing all the time?:D
Honestly for a snake that size what is the average dinner consist of?

Cheers and that is one awesome snake.
Mine eats 1-2 large 3- 4 kg rabbits every month, I found feeding him large rats to be too expensive. I breed rabbits for him so he is quite cheap to feed.

Joemal, how can you afford to feed that? Do the local cats and dogs go missing all the time?:D
Honestly for a snake that size what is the average dinner consist of?

Cheers and that is one awesome snake.

She goes through 3-4 jumbo rats a week or when i can get them she polishes off rabbits and chooks . Costs me $300 + every couple of months to feed my 8 snakes

I think they are amazing! But I know im a long way off, if ever, being able to have one! Im very new to the hobby and im still finding my way. From what Iv read and heard they are amazing to own but respect is a must! Ill keep to my stimmie 4 the time but I LOVE these big amazing guys/girls!!

MORE PICS OF THEM I SAY!!! :D

I'd say that 96 could be an indicator....
in anycase, age doesn't necessarily mean a better attitude, knowledge or willingness to learn things differing from their own opinion. I've been told be people in their 20s and even 30s that their snakes love them, and show them affection and that they're really quite intelligent. Despite all my efforts, they still couldn't accept the facts. I find it's easier to let them do them, and i just go about my business.
Not having a crack at you snakelady.

On topic, I absolutely love scrubbies. While I'd like to keep one, and I'm confident I could, its the size and space requirements that have put me off. Though I'm sure I'll give in one day and get one. They're amazing animals.
A mate of mine caught the biggest I've seen/heard of (from a reliable source). It was 5.2 metres and 34kg.

:shock::D:shock::D OH THANK YOU SO MUCH JOEMAL!!!!!!! Wow what a stunner!! is the 2nd pic your girl or boy?!

Oh iv never seen one in real life b4 and i tell you what thats my new dream!!! What an amazing site that will be!!!

It's a girl .Let me know if you are ever up this way and you can get some pics with her .

It's a girl .Let me know if you are ever up this way and you can get some pics with her .

Oh thanks!!! I will we do go up to bundy to visit a mate so ill remember that!!! That means a lot to me that you offered!!! Thank you!!!!

My younger male scrubbie is 18 months old and about 2.8-3m. He litterally JUST shed his skin and its about a metre longer than me and im about 1.7m (sorry not good with 'feet')

Snake sheds are around 30% Larger than the snake , so that would make the scrubby smaller than you think - not having a "go" at you , but you did say you know a lot about snakes in a post I just read.
I keep a pr of scrubbys and would NEVER trust them , awesome snakes they are.Totaly different behavior than any other pythons I keep ( and I keep most ozzy sp)

I'd love to keep a scrubby several years down the track, but it's a little out of my league in terms of providing an appropriate enclosure. My next goal is to pick up an olive in a few years when I own my own house and can fit an adult's enclosure.

In terms of trusting snakes, I love my bredli to bits, he's the most placid snake I've ever seen and he has never even attempted a bite on me. That said, I'm 100% aware that the only thing stopping him from killing and eating me is my size. If he was a good 10 or so meters bigger, he'd have me in a heartbeat.

18 mths old and 3 meters...I have a little guy not much younger than that and hes nowhere near that size. Awsome snakes to keep if you have the experience and never let your guard down. Shame to see in QLD there still on a class 1 licence though.

Im with jonas. I think its absurd that scrubbies can be kept on a recreational licence in QLD. I have copped a very nasty bite from a 13-14 footer (my own stupid fault) and needed 2 people to help me remove him from my hand. It resulted in 2 5-7cm long wounds (14 stitches) down to the bone in my hand and having teeth removed from bones in my thumb. A very unpleasant experience. This was a generally placid animal and i let my guard down. Silly me, i wont make that mistake twice. Unfortunately i had to sell my pair as i work away for work and couldnt find anyone experienced (or willing) enough to look after them. They are by far my favorite australian python species and i cannot wait for the day when i can acquire some more.

Snakelady 96 where are you...? Some excellent advice here and you're not responding...

Jamie

Shame to see in QLD there still on a class 1 licence though.

Class 1 licence? We don't have classes in Qld and as far as I know scrubbies are not restricted reptile. ?????

Snake sheds are around 30% Larger than the snake , so that would make the scrubby smaller than you think - not having a "go" at you , but you did say you know a lot about snakes in a post I just read.
I keep a pr of scrubbys and would NEVER trust them , awesome snakes they are.Totaly different behavior than any other pythons I keep ( and I keep most ozzy sp)

Thanks for letting me know that :) I didn't know that, theres a lot i don't know but i love learning new things. I agree, they do have very different personalities than other snakes but i cant say they are ALL like that.

18 mths old and 3 meters...I have a little guy not much younger than that and hes nowhere near that size. Awsome snakes to keep if you have the experience and never let your guard down. Shame to see in QLD there still on a class 1 licence though.

Yes he is 18 months old and as someone said before of which i didn't know their sheds are 30% than the actual snake. I'd say by looking at him he'd be around 2.5m. I was actually quite shocked the shed was that large to be honest.

Snakelady 96 where are you...? Some excellent advice here and you're not responding...

Jamie

Im here Jaime, just reading as people write up their stories, And yes some excellent advice.

Last edited:
Wow Snakelady96. It sounds to me like you have jumped in the deep end judging by your response to some of the commonly known facts about reptiles. Not having a go at you. I just sincerely hope you dont end up in a comprosing/dangerous position with your scrubby. If i didnt have my brother and his mate to help me with mine when i got tagged and constricted, then i honestly dont know how i would have got him off by myself. It CAN and WILL turn on you in a flash no matter how friendly you think it is.

Waterrat..I meant class 1 licence as recreational..should of worded that better. Point is scrubs and the larger species of varanus should be on a restricted licence. I believe the breeders themselves have a responcibility to make sure there animals go to suitable homes as well though..and not just sell to 'anyone'.

Waterrat..I meant class 1 licence as recreational..should of worded that better. Point is scrubs and the larger species of varanus should be on a restricted licence. I believe the breeders themselves have a responcibility to make sure there animals go to suitable homes as well though..and not just sell to 'anyone'.

I totally agree. I always treated scrubbies the same way as elapids, i.e. with the same level of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back