Snake room

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleJay

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I?m considering relocating my collection but I don?t really have anywhere existing to house them at the new premises.

Short of having an extension built onto the house, I?ve thought about erecting a big garden shed (3m x 6m) in the backyard, with a concrete floor, insulated and plastered walls and ceiling, and possibly a heater/air conditioner. I?m in Melbourne and it gets pretty cold on Winter nights and hot on Summer days.

Does anyone have any comments, thoughts or suggestions? It would be great to see pics of how some members have their snake room/shed/garage set up.

Cheers
JungleJay

Hi JJ
Ive just completed my herp room, I had a double garage and I enclosed half of it - removed 1 roller door. I have a mate who gyprocks and he built a fort knox for me. ply and villaboard on stud and track at 300mm intervals - totally impossible to get through. I had full security door and window put in and a reverse cycle air cond on the way. Ive painted the floor and fully sealed and painted the room. Had 4 double power points installed. Security system will come, but I just doubt anyone could get in so I am waiting until I can afford cameras etc.
Full cost so far is under $2k. I move my animals in this weekend.
Cheers
ad

Here's a shot - under construction

looks good ad would love to see some pictures of it complete and set up

I recently built a 4m x 5m reptile room, I poured a slab and built the whole thing out of coldroom panels that cost me the grand sum of $5 a metre. I suppose all up it cost me around $2500 including the slab. Really shop around for the concrete as it varies a huge amount.

Just an idea, but have you thought of or looked into, second hand shipping containers?

They are lockable, and already insulated, could be worth a thought, :)

Cheers, Spyke

Hey guys,
my family and i moved mid march to a hosue with a double lock-up garage. i pounced on the opportunity and started insulating. ive got a 7ft celing made of MDF with 3.5 insulbats in them. the walls just have foil boards on them and the room stays 22 odd degrees on the coldest of nights (with garage door shut) ill get some before and after shots if i have any lying around but it cost about $680 in materials and i find it works a treat :D ,

the only problem is the walls there "foil board polystrene" and arent sturdy so ive got to be very careful when moving enclosures around.

hope this helps

LAMU

My snake room is 8m by 8m with an ajoining 8m by 5m quarantine room. Its made of solid poured besser blocks, bit like fort nox. The security doors are a couple of notches above crim safe and cost 2500 just for three doors, but can not even be broken into with a sledgehammer. There is also a impenetrable security/alarm system with back up in case of power failure, and to finish it off there are 3 independant survalience systems. (cant be to careful these days).
Rob

Spyke said:
Just an idea, but have you thought of or looked into, second hand shipping containers?

They are lockable, and already insulated, could be worth a thought, :)

Cheers, Spyke

We have a number of these set up at work for temporary storage. The shorter ones place carefully on a level and solid footing would work pretty well. They are certainly solidly built and secure.

If after a few years you move on you could probably take it with you or sell it ;-)

not sure where these guys are but heres a number to call to check prices of shipping containers

SHIPPING CONTAINERS

FOR SALE OR HIRE

Ideal for builders, contractors, site sheds or extra space on the farm.

Phone Leigh

0419 889 892 or

5482 3610

I ahve a mate here in melbourne who could insulate your shed so well that it drops with one degree at night time. Give me a pm. Ill put you in contact with him.

just a thought, if you insulate somthing as well as people are talking about wouldn't it make it hard to get the temps down in winter for breeding?

Looking good AD.....alot of work, thats for sure....well done mate.
Junglejay...alot of options open to you mate.....space is always a issue.
My wife still doesnt like the fact that every available space is filled... :wink:

Here is the completed shot, yep - a bit of work went into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back