Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez louise, what alot of here say on this thread.... Most species of pythons and Elapids are out day and night, reptiles in general will be active when climate suits them, though will have a tendency to prefer one or the other. Snakes are great opportunists, esp Pythons, and will be active when it suits them. Snakes are also generally shy creatures and like to hide as do alot of reptiles. About 80% of people who buy reptiles get sick of them very quickly, they don't make a good "pet" for everyone.
I have found Diamond Pythons to be more active at night when temps are high, though they come out to bask during the day, I have also found "diurnal" Red Bellied Blacks out activly hunting at 1 am in the morning when temps are good and frogs thick on the ground. Many species of Elapids are "primarily" nocturnal.

you would like one of my stimmies,he is almost constantly out during the day,doesnt like to hide

I just adapted to my animals rhythm and I fluctuate between diurnal, crepuscular and nocturnal states depending on how much sleep I've had in the preceeding couple of days :D

Drinking excessive coffee can also help with nocturnal python viewing and late night internet reptile site and forum browsing :D
So thats what you do,might try that one.Most of the time when i get up during the night i have a sticky beak at the snakes and the majority of time their out and about cruising their branches etc....

And dont be fooled to think you cant come across an eastern brown late at night either ...if its real warm nights, it suits them too....

So thats what you do,might try that one.Most of the time when i get up during the night i have a sticky beak at the snakes and the majority of time their out and about cruising their branches etc....

I always feed hatchies at night and find they feed better for me when they are awake and moving around their tubs hunting.. dont know if others find this but works for me. my adults will usually feed well at any time though.. as Im at work through the weekdays, the only time I have to spend with them is at night and the weekends..

yeah Im the same mate.. whenever I get up in the night I always have a quick look to see whats happening and usually end up cleaning any dirty tub or enclosure and then crawling back to bed.. after several years doing this routine it becomes normal.. for me anyway :D

well when i put my infared light in and my night light it which shines onyl the slightest bit of purple the snake does come out?
so i have to have a ceramic one in which makes no light so i can hardly see in???

Hay guys
I am getting a bit over my spotted python as i never get to see it becasue it nocternal
can anyone give me a the list of snakes that arnt nocternal??
Or any snake that isnt nocternal?
thanksss
how long have u had your spotted for?
my spotted , jungle and coastals all come out during the day . infact they are all out now on there logs .

well i love my geckos! (obviously nocturnal) i dont mind staying up at night to watch them, its fun and interesting! (wich is why i sleep through school) so, how long u had it and how much did u study bout dem?

almost every single python i own is out all the time, very rarely do they hide. even after a feed and coming up to slough they are always out. i put it down to husbandry. if they are in a nice quiet area and dont feel threatened by constantly haveing people peering in at them or moving them then they hav no reason to hide. mine are in a locked seperated room which only i go in. its very rare for them to be curled up in there hide box.
cheers
mel

Interesting! I have a Stimson's python, similarly nocturnal, and this suits me because it is generally active from about half an hour after the day-time light (tracking subrise/sunset times) goes out until about 11pm or so. This fits well with me being home from work. It is also occasionally active in the morning before I go to work. For these reasons, I probably see more of it than I would if it were diurnal. Being able to see it is when it is out of its hide is never a problem, because its heat lamp is an infra-red globe whcich puts out plenty of red light, rather than a ceramic.

agreed my stimi is awake when i get home from work and sits in his hide box with his head poking out the entrance watching the world until i pull em out and let him have a wander

my snake is in a click clack in my bed room.

when im going to bed, i always see it roaming around, then it stops and gives me the "im going to eat you" stare... then keeps on moving around.

a lot of the time its in its hide, but it is only small so it would feel threatened if it wasnt. its not stressed or anything, as its never missed a feed and never bitten

I kind of like the sleepy nature of my snakes. It's only when the clock hits around 10pm everything tends to pop their heads out and snoop around. My brown tree snake does this like clockwork.

Larger carpets will sleep out in the open in their enclosures from time to time during the day, and I dare say yours will when it gets a bit of length on it.

Whatever you do, don't compromise the animals' hides for your own satisfaction. You honestly don't need to see the snake 100% of the time to enjoy it. It's a respectful two-way street ;)

You could move the hide to the cool end of the enclosure if it isn't already. This way the snake is provided with a hide but has to leave it to get warmth.

A taxidermist may be able to help :) 24/7 display snakes- awesome to the power of rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back