Something thats bugging me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard being new. Sometimes I used to sit & stress "should I ask this" before I post a question coz I don't want to look like a moron & get shot down in flames. The majority of people on here are very helpful but some just seem to want to fight with everyone - usually for no real reason & almost always by hijacking some innocent person's thread about a totally unrelated topic.

Reptiles can be tricky (particularly lizards!) & some stuff you really DO need to know straight away, so the best way is to do a search on here & if you can't find the info you need then ask away. When you're new to reptile ownership it's easy to find out new stuff all the time or to realise that something you're doing may not be ideal (case in point - I was feeding my pygmy beardies diced carrot, and saw today in a thread that this isn't good, so I whipped straight over to the lizard enclosure & grabbed it out).

Now I just figure it's better to ask the question & get experienced people's advice than to royally ***** something up & endanger one of your animals.

couldnt agree any more but it is a joke how some members instantly flame down some one for asking or telling them use the search function which isnt so crash hot, this is a public forum and any should be able to ask what they want when they want dont like it dont reply yea i agree something are really annoying and is a joke but still public forum

Its a privately owned forum and members are subject to the rules of the site owner.

This is why we have the "Herp Help" forum where members are supposed to be able to ask questions and receive intelligent, helpful answers without put downs and flaming. unfortunately there are always some people that even try to put down and flame people on this particular forum as well..

what I suggest is that whenever a member flames or puts down another member in "herp help" is to flag the offending posts using the triangle icon inderneath the posts to alert the moderators to look at these posts and if warranted, infract the poster accordingly.

this is the warning from the site owner regarding flaming, posting rubbish and putting down members in this section who are asking for help and advice:

You are welcome to advice the member to take the reptile to vet, but please DON'T CRITICIZE PEOPLE FOR NOT DOING THAT.
If you have no helpful advice to post here, stay out and don't post in this forum.

From now on we will issue infractions to people posting non helpful rubbish in this forum

Sadly, it is largely due to the amount of general rudeness and stupidity that a lot of keen and experienced herpers do not use this forum anymore. Normally I am not a fan of "dobbing", but in the case of getting flamed for asking for help and advice, go for it. The more of the forum trolls that get knocked off, the better this online community will become. I've even given up posting anything meaningful as so many times things just turn into a pointless arguement based on nothing more personal opinion and, *ughh* feelings! Driving people away from the hobby will do no one any good, especially for those trolls who are complaining that there is no one wanting to buy there "pure" common macs and coastals!

Dont get me wrong I think asking good general questions is fantastic and very helpful to you as the snake/rep owner ..and most cases when the members see that it is a general question and you have thought about it before asking NO-ONE gets flamed ..You may get a bit of a joke ribbing (which some people need to know what is a 'simple laugh along with you' for asking a silly question to where it is an out right flame job)..In most of these post you get great answers and usually the only ones that get a flame are the ones that posted the most stupid NON helpful and maybe even damaging answers (in my opinion THESE deserve a flame not the thread starter)

On the other hand some deserve flaming ,especially when given good advice by numerous experienced species owners all with a similiar answer to the question that was asked in the original thread ..and yet the thread starter will argue and say things like well I will do it my way anyhow blah blah ..WHY ASK FOR HELP ???? you are already set in your own mind what your gonna do any how ...YOU NEED A FLAME ..

And the final one ..If you are going to post things like 'I pulled apart my diamond pythons and a purple thing came out and it was my mates friends best mates sisters snake ..and I didnt know it was a male when i put it with my female cause my mate got it off that person and had no where to keep it ..so i said throw it in with mine ...NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO ? .............YOU NEED A FLAME ...

And the final one ..If you are going to post things like 'I pulled apart my diamond pythons and a purple thing came out and it was my mates friends best mates sisters snake ..and I didnt know it was a male when i put it with my female cause my mate got it off that person and had no where to keep it ..so i said throw it in with mine ...NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO ? .............YOU NEED A FLAME ...

+1

Do such posters not deserve to know that they are idiots and deserve a rap over the knuckles?
Or do we all just shut up and have them think that what they do is ok? :?

+1

Do such posters not deserve to know that they are idiots and deserve a rap over the knuckles?
Or do we all just shut up and have them think that what they do is ok? :?

If someone feels so strongly about what a member posts and want to say something to them about it then Id advise to use the private message function and keep it off the forums (especially the herp help forum) this is a privately owned forum with rules set out by the owner of this site. the site owner put these rules there for a reason and members are expected to follow and obey them..

Theres some members who seem to feel the site rules dont apply to them that continually want to post put downs, post rubbish, flame others and start arguments.. If these members dont want to follow the rules.. thats fine.. but please go somewhere else then..

heres a few of the rules:

Rule 1 - Be nice to other members. Any name calling or general nastiness will not be tolerated - this applies for posts in the forum as well as visitor messages on profiles, messages in social groups as well as conversations in chat.

Rule 2 - Be tolerant of all other users. Remember, we have members of all ages and levels of experience and enthusiasm, of different nationalities, religions and cultures. Rude or racist remarks and hurtfully sarcastic comments will be deleted and you will be penalised. Bear in mind that a sarcastic comment that an adult would laugh at may be hurtful to a young member.

Rule 5 - No flooding of the forums. Posts must be meaningful and not waste the time of other site users.

Rule 6 - Posts must remain on the topic of the thread.

Rule 10 - There is a limit of one membership per person. Multiple people in the same household can have an account each (after Administrator approval), but accounts created for any other purpose will be deleted. Note that if a member is suspended, all other accounts in that household may also be suspended.

Rule 12 - Do not post public feuds or arguments in the forums or in visitor messages. If you have a problem with another member, then PM them directly or lodge a ticket with 'Feedback/Complaints' at the Support Centre.

Rule 13 - If you have a problem with the way the site is run or the action taken by Moderators/Administrators, then you must lodge a ticket with 'Feedback/Complaints' at the Support Centre. We will not tolerate open criticism of the site or the way it is run in any of our forums. Nor will we tolerate any criticisms of the Moderators/Administrators. In some cases we will suspend account to protect other members with out giving any reason. We do the work in running the site, so we control how it is run. If you find that objectionable, please feel free to move elsewhere. Otherwise, we welcome your input and hope that you will enjoy your experience on APS.

Rule 17 - Members may "bump" their posts no more than once every 72 hours. A "bump" post is defined as a post added by the thread starter that does not add any meaningful information to the existing thread.

Advertising Rule 1 - No unauthorised auctioning or selling of snakes within non "Show and Swap" forums is permitted.

Advertising Rule 5 - Members with Regular, Subscriber or Power Seller accounts are not permitted to advertise any businesses in their signature, avatar or username. This includes the use of any graphics, links, email addresses or slogans directly associated with such businesses.

heres the link to the full site rules:
Site Rules - Aussie Pythons & Snakes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back