Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey everybody

I have just registered with aussie pythons and have just sent away my form to get my licence. I have read John Weigels book very carefully and i am preety sure that i know all of a snakes requirements. But iam having a few problems. The first is that i dont know what sort i snake to get, i have been reccomended a Diamond Python but i hear that they can grow between 6 anf 7 feet. Could anyone recommend a python that is smaller but still god for a beginner. The second problem that i have having is were i should get my vivarium from? Any help would be great, thanx.

congrats mate and welcome.... you are about to start a hobby that will become a way of life but beware it will take over..... have a look at the addiction discussion....

A diamond python is a beautiful snake to keep but if you are after somthing a little smaller that would be good for a beginner i would reccomend a childrens python nice snake easy to keep good temperment and grow to a bit over a metre..

As for the enclosure i cant help you out in sydney but if you were coming to melb any time soon i have one for sale that would do the job for you perfectly

Congrats again and take care
matt

get an eastern small blotched python. they have the best temprement (generally), are most hardy and grow to about average of 3-4ft.

Yeh i was thinking about a childrens pythons but a guy siad that they tend to be a bit snappy. What do you think?

than for the reply

depends on how much you handle them.,.. any snake will be snappy if you dont pay it any attention

If i was to house a childrens python how big would the vivarium have to be?

Get a Coastal carpet or a Dimaond.
You are more than likely going to purchase a hatchling anyway.
By the time it reaches its adult length you would be confident with snakes or atleast feel confident with the animal you have raised since birth. You would also learn the attitude of your snake sensing signs of when its hungry, angry, shedding etc. If you purchase a small snake now you will be kicking yourself later on when you want a larger specimen. Both species I have mentioned are good beginners pythons.

How quick would a Diamond Python hatchling take to grown to its full length?

Snakes never really stop growing.
They just slow down as they get older.
But for a Diamond to reach its adult size would take about 3-4 years. With Diamonds you want to grow them slowly (less food at less intervals).

Look at our sponsors Herp shop and Unlimited reptiles vebsite regarding enclosures.

Hi ether, welcome to the site.
I good snake for beginners IMO if you don?t wan anything too big, would be a Spotted Python, a Stimson, or Childrens, all are well under 2m, prob. around 1.5m and considered a good beginners choice.
Very hardy and easy to look after.
I started out with a spotted myself.
Depends where you are in Sydney, but a good place to check out enclosures would be the reptile-barn in St. Marys.
You would be looking at say a 3ft enclosure for any of those snakes
Cheers Artie

How much on average would it cost for a full setup including snake for a Diamond Python?

Diamonds are more expensive, for a hatchie you'd be looking at about $300 the others prob $200 to $ 250.
Enclosure, well it depends on what you want.

i good enclosure should cost around the $150 mark, if you draw up some plans you could probably get a carpenter to make it for you. if you want to buy one ready made from the reptile barn you will definately burn an unneeded hole in your pocket.

For a beginner is it hard at first to setup the vivarium ie. will all the correct lighting etc.Any tips as to how i should go about would be great. And do you need to take a snake handling course before you purchase a snake.

Ether,
You won't need to take a snake handling course before your purchase, but if you aren't confident, then it might be worth joining a club and attending some meetings, and let others show you how to be a confident handler, confidence is the key to reptiles, not over confidence though!

Alternatively a competent member on here that might be willing to help you out with both handling and set up advice face to face would be a bonus.

Good luck with it all, and welcome to the hobby that burns a addictive hole in your pocket!

Neil

i agree with frontosa GO THE DIAMONDS! our first (and only atm) snake is a diamond and like frontosa said, by the time it gets to adult size you'll be an expert! as they grow from babies you'll learn their temperaments - when they're cranky and to leave them alone, or hungry etc so by the time they get that big they're not going to be as intimidating to you as they are now because you're not going to notice the growing as you'll handle him every day or so. i also agree that in a few years time you'll be kicking urself when you wish u had a bigger snake! i cant wait to answer the door on halloween with a big snake wrapped around my neck! :twisted:

i got a darwin carpet afew weeks ago. dont go to a snake handling class cos its easy. u sit down if its a hatchie and u let it go over your hands and then its will weave between your finger and sit there. anyway id go for a diamond. and dont wory about it growing to fast. it is one of the 2 slowast growing pythons in aus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back