Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cool fanx nicole - sounds like maybe 2 ceramics might be the way to go! will try just those at first and see how far the heat goes down before i use a heat mat. a heat mat wouldnt really change the ambient temp would it? it is really just there to provide a warm spot on the floor?

If you are after a small snake, try a Childrens python. However they are small and sometimes very awkward hatchlings, being picky about food.

If you want a Diamond, have a look into MBD.

Personnally I would (and have) gone with the Coastal Carpet.
They are larger snakes, but they will eat anything you put infront of them and they don't mind a larger starting tank.

Also, don't forget to find a good vet. Best one in Sydney I have found is Teri Bellamy.

Thanx Guys for all the replys, the adivice sgould come in handy when i get my first sanke.
Thanx agen

People say that if you draw up plans then a carpenter can make it for you etc. This seems like a good idea but for a beginner like me it seems quite a daunting task. Mianly because i am do not really know how big it should be, were all the lights and heating should go and finally what sort of enclosure it should be. Any help with this would be great.

in the book by john wiegel you mentioned there is a section at the back that pertains to particular species. Get the cage measurements from here and decide how you want to open it to get to your snake (from the top or the side). Then organise for the light/heat source to be wired at one end so the reptile has a thermal gradient from one side of the cage to the other. it only needs to be a square box shape with plenty of ventilation.-- make one side entirely of peg board if possible. Some people only put small vents in their cage which isnt sufficient for a healthy reptile.

Yes Zo, the heatmat in the Olive's house just provides a hot spot.
She is happy on her branches day in day out except when she has just eaten, then she will spend maybe 36-48 hours on the mat, but it is always there in case she wants it.

Like Afric, there is a verticle gradient in my Coastal and Diamond enclosures, being more arboreal, I thout this would be a good set up for them, but the Olive has a horizontal gradient.

thanks.This site is awesome with nice people and they are really helpful with every aspect of reptiles and they listen.

BK... Lockman built all of my enclosures he does fantastic work!
I totally recommend him!

Get a childrens python with a 2 foot fish tank and a wire lid. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T GO TO THE REPTILE BARN IN ST'MARY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can get a children's python for $150 and about $100 will set up his or her tank perfect.PM me if you want more details. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back